Poll

Was this post helpful to you?

Yes
23 (92%)
No
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: 25 March 2008, 14:08:47

Author Topic: How to play Glest on Multiplayer  (Read 33055 times)

rishenchen

How to play Glest on Multiplayer
« on: 25 March 2008, 14:08:47 »
Here's a way for you none multiplayer users to join in the multiplayer fun. ( windows users! )  

1. Go on google and search "IceChat"
2. Download and open it.
3. Click on the "Favorite Servers" to the left and double click on "irc.freenode.net"
4. Click on the "Favorite Channels" tab.
5. Click on "Add"
6. Type in "glest" without the "  " and press ok
7. Now that glest is in your list, click on it and click "Join"
8. Change your name on the channel by typing in /nick _______ The ______ is where you type your name
9. WOOT, YOUR IN!!!  Now just find someone there who already has played multiplayer before and ask them how to set up a game. Or you can just read the below.

Setting up a game:
1. Find someone who wants to play you.
2. Figure out who is hosting.
3. Host goes to http://www.whatismyip.com and get his IP
4. Host sets up the game, host has to set a slot on "Network" so people can join.
5. Person joining clicks on "Join Game" and delete the IP that is already there and type in the Host's IP. Click connect.
6: Host starts game.

*WARNING* Linux and Windows don't work together on multiplayer, if you try playing someone who uses Linux and your using Windows, you'll disconnect, Vice Versa. Make sure you all have the map the host is using, if you don't, you'll disconnect. Make sure you have the same version of glest and default configuration settings, if not, you might disconnect.

Port Fowarding: Go to http://portforward.com for help setting up a router to host a multiplayer glest game.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2010, 17:54:56 by rishenchen »

alex

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2008, 22:03:23 »
when i tried to join the "glest" channel, it said could not connect???????
plz help!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by alex »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2008, 23:35:28 »
On a side note: Glest Advanced Egine 0.2 now has a fix for Linux vs Windows vs Mac, but otherwise it is still fond of getting out of sync and crash, but then again, when it crashes it saves the game so you can try again.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2008, 10:37:00 »
Quote from: "Duke"
On a side note: Glest Advanced Egine 0.2 now has a fix for Linux vs Windows vs Mac, but otherwise it is still fond of getting out of sync and crash, but then again, when it crashes it saves the game so you can try again.

That doesn't sound like much of a fix to me then.... You already can play Linux vs Win in the official version by disabling network checks (and then the game will get out of sync and crash)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2008, 12:34:42 »
Oh ok didn't now that it worked at all, but it should have worked at least beter.
I meant Daniel fixed the problems that occured due to different OS.
But 0.2.1 should now stay in sync although there are other minor bugs.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2008, 03:49:45 »
plz help!

Did you put "glest" or "#glest". If you put "glest" then that's your problem. All channels on an irc are preceded with a # symbol. Make sure you put "#glest" instead of just "glest"

Oh ok didn't now that it worked at all, but it should have worked at least beter.
I meant Daniel fixed the problems that occured due to different OS.
But 0.2.1 should now stay in sync although there are other minor bugs.

I really have a lot of respect for daniel.santos. He is constantly updating the glest advanced engine and now he finding a way to link linux, windows, and mac. When the GAE has its first official stable release, we need to give Daniel a big "THANKYOU".
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

rishenchen

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2008, 15:33:06 »
Quote from: "orion"
plz help!

Did you put "glest" or "#glest". If you put "glest" then that's your problem. All channels on an irc are preceded with a # symbol. Make sure you put "#glest" instead of just "glest"

Don't put #glest, it brings you to a whole different channel called ##glest. Orion, icechat automatically adds the # in front of whatever channel u type in. So if you guys followed those instructions on top of the page to the word, it should be working.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by rishenchen »

rishenchen

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2008, 15:36:09 »
Quote from: "alex"
plz help!

Hey umm....alex? sorry, i left out a vital part in the instructions. You need to connect to the icr.freenod.net server first before adding glest and joining, i will add it in now  :D . thanks for telling me.

AF

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2008, 14:55:41 »
Also of note are that aflobby and xfire support glest.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by AF »

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2008, 15:28:23 »
Cool Rishenchen. It looks like this topic is slowly helping more and more people. Only 1043 more people to go :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

rishenchen

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2008, 12:28:32 »
Quote from: "orion"
Cool Rishenchen. It looks like this topic is slowly helping more and more people. Only 1043 more people to go :D  thanks

victor felipe ferreira

Re: How to play Glest on Multiplayer
« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2008, 13:27:58 »
Quote from: "rishenchen"
Here's a way for you none multiplayer users to join in the multiplayer fun. ( windows users! )  

2. Download and open it.
3. Click on the "Favorite Servers" to the left and double click on "irc.freenode.net"
5. Click on "Add"
8. Change your name on the channel by typing in /nick _______ The ______ is where you type your name
9. WOOT, YOUR IN!!!  Now just find someone there who already has played multiplayer before and ask them how to set up a game. Or you can just read the below.

Setting up a game:
1. Find someone who wants to play you.
2. Figure out who is hosting.
3. Host goes to http://www.whatismyip.com and get his IP
4. Host sets up the game, host has to set a slot on "Network" so people can join.
5. Person joining clicks on "Join Game" and delete the IP that is already there and type in the Host's IP. Click connect.
6: Host starts game.

*WARNING* Linux and Windows don't work together on multiplayer, if you try playing someone who uses Linux and your using Windows, you'll disconnect, Vice Versa. Make sure you all have the map the host is using, if you don't, you'll disconnect. Make sure you have the same version of glest and default configuration settings, if not, you might disconnect.

Port Fowarding: Go to http://portforward.com for help setting up a router to host a multiplayer glest game.

Be sure to vote on the post here: http://www.glest.org/glest_board/viewtopic.php?t=3359
:twisted:
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by victor felipe ferreira »

rishenchen

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2008, 19:00:54 »
um..victor felipe ferreira, what that post for? ?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 1 July 2008, 14:06:59 »
Is there anyway to do this WITHOUT icechat or something. Suppose I just want to play a game with someone else hosting?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by omega »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #14 on: 1 July 2008, 14:27:42 »
irc://irc.freenode.net/glest

Here you might find some playmates (is it a correct word for it?).

AND! Use the search feature.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by @kukac@ »

Mészáros Tamás

4 player
« Reply #15 on: 8 July 2008, 11:29:18 »
Maximum 4 players in the Glest.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 20:03:53 by Mészáros Tamás »

sbrbot

« Reply #16 on: 14 October 2008, 09:41:29 »
Quote from: "rishenchen"
2. Download and open it.
5. Click on "Add"

Here one could use any IRC application. I am on Linux and use Pidgin Internet Messenger and it works just fine.

Geek Squad 2gb

« Reply #17 on: 7 February 2009, 16:20:39 »
it is 10:20 am and i wana start a game anyone wana play?

Geek Squad 2gb

« Reply #18 on: 7 February 2009, 17:51:42 »
im in icechat w8ing for anyone who wants 2 pla

kenhungkk

« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2009, 05:14:52 »
I can't get my multiplayer running normally.

It says that I can connect with another computer, but when the game starts, all I got is a black screen, with merely falling of rain, no units, no buildings, no terrains, worse still, all the resource was shown as 0/0...

Is it a problem with the graphics pack?

kira9898

How to play Glest on Multiplayer
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2009, 08:28:18 »
at me no work but .... why? i no put corect channel? 6667 i put for i no know what channel it say reconect......... reconect.......... reconect .............. failed and again reconect...... reconect........... what have and why no work?

fireswordy

« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2009, 03:00:19 »
Hi, ( need post to rank/lvl/increase to worker )

PEOPLE FRICKEN GO ON IM SOO BORED YOU GUYS GOING TO MAKE ME QUIT ! been on like for an hour straight

mcho

« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2009, 17:54:11 »
ok .. dudes  i'm new at this ..
i had an imac, my mate has a macbookpro .. both has glest 3.2.2 , and at the work we want to play some .. but we don't now how to cennect each other ?
we don't know anything about the irc channel and stuff .. can some help .. step by step how we can play  ??? please .. allready beat the machine like tons of time ..

jlumpkins

« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2009, 18:32:43 »
I've got 2 Linux boxes in the same room, on the same network. (Private IP's that I know; Gigabit through an unmanaged switch)
1: Fedora 11 64 bit with Glest v3.2.1
2: Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit with Glest v3.2.1

So far, every time I try and connect from one to the other (either direction) Glest dies on the one that I click connect from.
Here are the steps I take:

Host machine:
1. Click 'New Game'
2. Click 'Custom Game' (Default setup will already have player 1 defined as 'Human'; and player 2 defined as 'CPU'
3. I add a third player defined as 'Network'.

Other machine:
1. Click 'Join Game'
2. Enter the IP address of the host machine
3. Click 'Connect'

If I click 'Play Now!' on the host before I click 'Connect' on the client, nothing seems to happen on the client. (No sign that I've joined the game, it simply says 'Connected'.)
If I don't click 'Play Now!' on the host, as soon as I click 'Connect' on the client machine, Glest dies.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

(I'm more than willing to provide additional information if needed.)

Thanks in advance,

Jerry Lumpkins

Sharan100

« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2009, 15:11:20 »
Well no one talks on the IRC channel. No one replies. Can someone help a newbie. ??? ???
C:\Users\Sharan\Desktop\why isnt anyone helpin.
« Last Edit: 3 April 2016, 18:16:40 by filux »