Author Topic: Glestimals  (Read 79218 times)

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
Glestimals
« on: 26 April 2008, 09:26:26 »
Glestimals is a set of animals intended for use with the new 'whatsits' code in Daniels GAE. However they are free for anyone in the Glest community to use in their own projects as well. The Glestimals are currently in version 0.1 and are static meshes. The final goal is to have 10 or so animated animals ready for the GAE.

If you want to take a closer look at the Glestimals they can be downloaded here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?i9niuxj4mmz

EDIT (by daniel.santos 2009-09-18): This thread is in reference to ideas discussed in the old GAE 0.3 planning thread.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2009, 07:57:00 by daniel.santos »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2008, 09:43:49 »
WOOT wciow stop beeing so good or i loose any mood to try it myself :P
No just joking(i wont give up), but i must say theese are are so cool.. nothing to add.
I like the deer most! Can you try making a fox too?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2008, 21:38:50 »
Awesome Wciow. Good Work
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2008, 23:17:40 »
Should I animate them? If so, does it need attack and animations for the ones that would be able to in real life? And what about death animations?

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

ttsmj

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2008, 08:19:16 »
I think death animation would be needed too
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ttsmj »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2008, 12:37:32 »
yeah a wolf could attak a deer for example.

to make it realy realistic it would be a pack of wolfes attacking though.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

charlieg

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2008, 15:52:01 »
What license are these available under and are they animated?

I expect the JCRPG project would be very interested in these also, as would other similar fantasy-themed FOSS games out there.

A good place to post these might be the FreeGameDev forum.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by charlieg »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2008, 17:02:13 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

@ Zaggy
If you would like to animate these you are more than welcome :)
I'll post up the .blend files for you.

@ charlieg
I don't really know much about licenses but I'm happy for anyone to use them in any way, they don't have to credit me, however they shouldn't claim them as their own work either (hope that makes sense). I suppose that probably makes them GPL or something?

Concerning the JCRPG Project, their engine only uses .obj or .3ds models. Currently the Glestimals are converted from blender to .g3d's. I don't have the time to start helping on another project so I won't export them to other formats. If someone from JCRPG wants to take the .blend files and do the exporting then thats fine.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wciow »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

paul.illes

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2008, 17:48:10 »
Quote from: "wciow"
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Concerning the JCRPG Project, their engine only uses .obj or .3ds models. Currently the Glestimals are converted from blender to .g3d's. I don't have the time to start helping on another project so I won't export them to other formats. If someone from JCRPG wants to take the .blend files and do the exporting then thats fine.

Hello!
I'm lead developer of jcrpg. As you might already know jcrpg is a fully opensource project (code and media too) and it will be more than happy to use your IMHO great looking 3d models in the game. If you release it in blender format under GPL (as you are discussing it here) or CC-BY or CC-BY-SA I will do the rest to use them in jcrpg and put your name in the contributors' list if you don't wish to be left out for a specific reason.

Hope to have your help,
best regards,
Paul
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by paul.illes »

paul.illes

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2008, 17:55:41 »
Quote from: "weedkiller"
WOOT wciow stop beeing so good or i loose any mood to try it myself :P
No just joking(i wont give up), but i must say theese are are so cool.. nothing to add.
I like the deer most! Can you try making a fox too?

About the fox, maybe you can check jcrpg's set of models with a bunch of animals like redfox, wolf, gorilla, spider, bear. You can check it at http://http://javacrpg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/javacrpg/trunk/jcrpg/tools/blender/fauna/. They are all under free license (GPL or CC), derivatives are allowed all the time.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2008, 20:41:23 »
here is a screensshot of the bear and the gorilla:
( click on fauna on the left )
http://jcrpg.blogspot.com/search/label/fauna
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Baida

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2008, 22:33:13 »
Nice idea and pretty cools model you did  :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Baida »

modmaker

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2008, 22:35:58 »
I like the idea.  I had thought of implementing team-independent pre-deployed stage enemies, though not quite like these.  I think the spider should have a little less pink and a little more black, but that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by modmaker »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2008, 06:41:17 »
This stuff is beautiful! :)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2008, 10:09:09 »
OK as promised here is a link to the .blend files for the Glestimals. There is also a new wolf model included.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xsfjscmisij
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wciow »

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2008, 00:11:52 »
How come the wolf doesn't have a knee joint on the front legs? I can't animate it this way, and I can't think of a way to add it. It I convert it to quads, it ruins the UVing and the model itself.

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 5 May 2008, 13:56:14 by ZaggyDad »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2008, 05:50:32 »
Quote from: "ZaggyDad"
How come the wolf doesn't have a knee joint on the front legs? I can't animate it this way, and I cant think of a way to add it. It I convert it to quads, it ruins the UVing and the model itself.

~Zaggy

whine, whine, whine.  Back when I was your age, I used to draw out my graphics on paper in a grid, add up the values and then key them in, because we didn't have image editors, much less fancy-shmancy 3d modeling tools like Blender and 3ds. :)  I wish I still had some of the pieces of paper I drew these on to scan in and show you, but that's how I made all of my animations, which were just 8x8 bit sprites.  And actually, they weren't even true sprites, I used programmable character sets because that was the only way to do graphics on the Vic20 unless you wanted to be restricted to their crappy "graphics" character set.

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2008, 11:25:47 »
whine, whine, whine. Back when I was your age, I used to draw out my graphics on paper in a grid, add up the values and then key them in, because we didn't have image editors, much less fancy-shmancy 3d modeling tools like Blender and 3ds.  I wish I still had some of the pieces of paper I drew these on to scan in and show you, but that's how I made all of my animations, which were just 8x8 bit sprites. And actually, they weren't even true sprites, I used programmable character sets because that was the only way to do graphics on the Vic20 unless you wanted to be restricted to their crappy "graphics" character set.

Life must have sucked back in your day. :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2008, 15:48:36 »
Sounds like it. :O I finished the flying animations for the hawk (gliding, and flapping), but I can't upload the animations anywhere yet.

Btw, I centered the hawk on the grid, because I think there should be air units in Glestimals, and not only ground units with air models. Then they would bump into air units instead of going through air units and stopping ground ones.

~Zaggy

paul.illes

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 5 May 2008, 18:04:27 »
OK as promised here is a link to the .blend files for the Glestimals. There is also a new wolf model included.

That's really great news indeed! So these (with the new wolf) are supposed to be under GPL license?

Have you checked jcrpg models?

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2008, 18:25:15 »
Zaggy, perhaps you can improve the leg without further uv-editing:
Cut the triangles/Faces with knife, shift+k, then perhaps "exactline" or "midpoints". Then scale that around or make mor of that cuttet-rings.

@daniel.santos
hehe, you mustnt go back that much for cruel handpainting jobs. If you ever have hered of a game named "clonk". I made some objects for it some time ago but really cruel was making a new unit because you have to draw a set of maybe 40-pictures which show the unit walking, punshing, throwing... I think these pictures had around 9 pixels for the head so not the same but still something that could have lead to similar feelings :)

//edit
you can join tris to quads with alt+j and split by strg+t, but you may know
« Last Edit: 5 May 2008, 18:46:27 by weedkiller »

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 5 May 2008, 18:41:48 »
What I meant was that it wouldn't work to do loop cut, or do it manually, because it's made of triangles. But I suppose exact cut might work.

Btw, wciow, could you make the tail of the deer be white underneath?

~Zaggy

paul.illes

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2008, 17:53:46 »
Quote from: "paul.illes"

That's really great news indeed! So these (with the new wolf) are supposed to be under GPL license?

Have you checked jcrpg models?

Any chance to have an answer?

paul.illes

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 11 May 2008, 10:58:08 »
@ charlieg
I don't really know much about licenses but I'm happy for anyone to use them in any way, they don't have to credit me, however they shouldn't claim them as their own work either (hope that makes sense). I suppose that probably makes them GPL or something?

Well, until you specify another license , for this version I'll add a special license file, containing this quoted text (above). Also I will specify you as author of it in the license. You have done a great job, so thank you again! :)

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2008, 17:52:19 »
I think we were targeting the CC by-sa license (http://creativecommons.org/about/license/) for all sounds, graphics, models and textures.  This license is the closest approximation to the GPL (or LGPL) and requires that those that use your work must credit the original artist.

anything