Author Topic: Glestimals  (Read 79215 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Glestimals
« Reply #200 on: 19 June 2010, 00:25:14 »
I haven't looked at it, but it looks more likely to be misplaced alpha.  Anyway, do we want to start taking dibs on who's animating what, or what?

Edit: By "haven't looked at it", I mean I haven't downloaded and scrutinized it.  I've obviously looked at the screen shot. :P

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 19 June 2010, 10:24:31 »
But for the rabbit, there is some red where...it shouldn't be?

Meh, thats a 5 second texture job.  ;)

Ok I'm gonna take the birds (eagle, hawk, heron) to animate since my animation skills aren't too good  :-[

BTW thanks for the quadruped rig John  ;)  It's included with the download on the last page rigged to the deer if anyone wants to use it.

Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 19 June 2010, 11:50:28 »
Ok, progress report.

We want them in tilesets, but attack and armour types are in tech trees.

So, we'll just disregard any glestimals that don't have attack/armour types in the current techtree. Maybe it might be a good idea to allow multiple armour/attack types for glestimals, listed in 'priority order'... ?

The bear is actually missing one anim, for move.  If someone wants to try out that rig to get the bear moving, It'd most appreciated :thumbup:

I'll get him in using the static model for move for the time being.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 20 June 2010, 07:49:48 »
I made each animation 20 frames long, so if we're going for a smaller file size, I can condense them a bit.  The walk animation should be good enough despite the lack of a good reference, but if somebody wants to tweak it, be my guest.  Otherwise, stick a fork in this eight-legged critter: it's done!  You Aussies can have your terrifying wildlife back. ;D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/unnjwmnvkyi/spider_20_june_2010.7z

(That was exhausting!  So many legs... so many KNEES! :P)

Click me; I'm animated!

Gabbe

« Reply #204 on: 20 June 2010, 11:17:38 »
very good, what was the use of GIF? it didn`t show much but a bad anim  :look:

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 20 June 2010, 19:19:42 »
very good, what was the use of GIF? it didn`t show much but a bad anim  :look:
The first few frames are just the idle animation, but after that it runs through the walk, attack, and die.

Gabbe

« Reply #206 on: 20 June 2010, 19:22:32 »
Ah didn`t watcht he whole i think.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 23 June 2010, 11:48:49 »
Nice work John, and I do imagine it was some work with all those legs  :O

I hate to suggest it, but I think he jumps forward a little bit too far in the attack anim, but it sure does look cool :thumbup:
[Edit: nevermind, it was just because the daemon 'leans in' to attack too, looks perfect with most other units.]

They're in game,

Seem to be a few issues with the auto-attack though, I managed to get some spiders to kill my daemon eventually,

but I had to 'tease them' a bit first... haven't had a chance to get much testing in yet, but all the major hurdles appear to have been cleared comfortably.

Being selectable, we also need icons for them, I've been using the one for the cow, so if anyone gets bored and wants to spend some time gimping up some magitech style icons for them ...

« Last Edit: 23 June 2010, 12:40:10 by silnarm »

Timeline | Downloads

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 23 June 2010, 13:23:22 »
Looks like some great work as always Silnarm  :thumbup: Things like this make me wish i could compile and play around a bit myself  :'(

I've finished the animations for the hawk and heron and I'll be moving onto the eagle shortly.

I'm not sure what you plan to do with birds but I am assuming they just fly around the map until they are shot down? The hawk's "flight" animation is about 100 frames long and 300kb in size. The idea being that the animation is played slowly as it goes through the phases to avoid repetition and mostly look like it is gliding along. 

I'm also gonna start work on the icons you requested.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #209 on: 26 June 2010, 05:27:05 »
Looks like some great work as always Silnarm  :thumbup: Things like this make me wish i could compile and play around a bit myself  :'(

I've finished the animations for the hawk and heron and I'll be moving onto the eagle shortly.

I'm not sure what you plan to do with birds but I am assuming they just fly around the map until they are shot down? The hawk's "flight" animation is about 100 frames long and 300kb in size. The idea being that the animation is played slowly as it goes through the phases to avoid repetition and mostly look like it is gliding along. 

I'm also gonna start work on the icons you requested.
Wow, that would be great! I can't wait to see that wciow!

I'm going to do the wolf, ok?  :)

By the way, we just need a unit icon, right? After all, it's just selectable, not playable, correct?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 26 June 2010, 16:49:00 »
@Omega, thanks please update this topic when you've finished with the wolf and i will include it in the next update

Heres an updated link including animations for the hawk, heron and eagle.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y20j2zmylwn

I've also included John's spider animations and rigged the snake ready for animation if anyone wants to have a go.

There are also icons for all of the Glestimals.

Gabbe

« Reply #211 on: 26 June 2010, 18:48:48 »
the progress looks great  :thumbup: can,t waıt tıll ıtÅŸ out :O

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #212 on: 26 June 2010, 20:03:07 »
Sure thing. i should be done by tomorrow. I might do the snake as well, seeing you did the boring part for me (rigging).

wyvern

« Reply #213 on: 26 June 2010, 22:50:18 »
I can't wait til this comes out ;D ;D ;D

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 27 June 2010, 06:11:16 »
By the way, we just need a unit icon, right? After all, it's just selectable, not playable, correct?

For now, yes, just a 'portrait' for each is all we need, hailstone opened a ticket for a 'capture skill' not long ago though, so in time command icons might be needed too.

Heres an updated link including animations for the hawk, heron and eagle.
I've also included John's spider animations and rigged the snake ready for animation if anyone wants to have a go.

There are also icons for all of the Glestimals.

Sweet, great work wciow :thumbup:

Once I've got the xml for the flyers done, I'll add them to our repo on tileset forest, if anyone working on them can be bothered signing up on sourceforge, let us know and we'll add you so you can update it yourselves, if you can't be bothered, just post here as per, and they'll make their way there in due course.

Actually, this is interesting... if they are regular air units, they are going to need to be able to 'stop' ... while it will be easy enough to make sure they 'keep moving' for the most part, we can't guarantee it (they could get 'blocked in').

So... Birds... killable units or pure eye candy ??

Timeline | Downloads

Gabbe

« Reply #215 on: 27 June 2010, 11:42:08 »
I say eye-candy..because kıllable doesnt make sense on..bırds..

ChupaReaper

« Reply #216 on: 27 June 2010, 13:31:13 »
Can these be used for resources? Could have hunter units to hunt some glestimals for food, etc. Like on the Stronghold games where the hunters hunt dear.
The hunter unit would have a hunt command where it lets the AI take control of it making it wander off hunting for glestimals which are huntable (set in their xml), when the hunter kills them (unless the hunter is hunted lol) the hunter will gain a food, etc resource from them and will devliver it to the nearest food building then go hunting again. Can't have the hunters stray too far unless there is a glestimal shortage. Glestimals would have to respawn a bit after being killed too. Not sure if this has all been discussed or not but it's around 9 pages long lol.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #217 on: 29 June 2010, 02:52:04 »
I say eye candy too, for a few reasons, such as simplicity, and lack of use of killing them. Of course, this means the beautiful death animations on the birds were wasted...  :(

Anyway, I finished the wolf. Here's the ENTIRE pack so far with john's models, the birds etc. I made the wolf a run, attack, idle, and die animation (see the readme included for information about optimal speeds to view them in).

Still to be animated:
-Snake (I slightly edited the model so the mouth isn't so square. This is already boned, so should be smooth sailing for any volunteers)
-Deer
-Fish??? (If this is going to be included, then the model must be moved down, since water units are placed on the surface)
-Rabbit

Another note:
I converted ALL the blend files so that links are RELATIVE. This is a must when sharing files, since it makes sure the textures are still usable without having to be relinked. To do so, when browsing for the image, make sure the "Relative" button is pressed. Do this for both the texture in the buttons window, and the texture in the texture window. An alternative that isn't very suitable for glest is to pack the image, which includes it compressed in the blend file, increasing filesize, but preventing all texture problems. But since the g3d format needs the external texture, thats a waste of space. Can be handy for models not used in glest though (ie: that video some people are trying to create).

Anyway, here's the download: http://www.filefront.com/16900569/Glestimals.7z

wyvern

« Reply #218 on: 29 June 2010, 12:36:24 »
If there are gonna be falcons/eagles those could be dangerous :| :|

Gabbe

« Reply #219 on: 29 June 2010, 14:38:22 »
yea cause falcons and bırds ın regular are attackıng people all the tıme, ı see ıt on the news, people dıe everyday and the worst ıs that these kıllıng machınes can fly over you and grab you and gıve you to ıts kıds were you wıll be eaten...I know ı know...thıs happens everyday... ::) ::) ::)

wyvern

« Reply #220 on: 29 June 2010, 16:33:22 »
Nice sarcasm but still it could be an interesting concept and in AOE you can kill birds :) :)

ZaggyDad

« Reply #221 on: 8 October 2010, 19:37:56 »
I don't know if these are the current models you're using, but here are some animations which I made a while ago and finished over the past two days:

Snake: http://www.mediafire.com/?196pte66teu7uxn
Hawk: http://www.mediafire.com/?lm234jpjnqipnju

I may do some more later.

Btw, Omega, it seems like your link on FileFront is broken.

Edit: Oops. I forgot to mention, I modified the texture of the snake to have fangs and a tongue. The new texture is packed with it (as is the hawk's texture, though I believe your new one would work much better, considering it looks like mine has a hole in its head).

~Zaggy1024
« Last Edit: 8 October 2010, 23:59:20 by Zaggy1024 »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 8 October 2010, 21:14:10 »
Cool. :thumbup: In case I failed to mention it earlier, I'm in the process of making a wolf for Solunar, so I'll be porting over the animations to the Glestimal wolf if nobody's animated it by then.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #223 on: 8 October 2010, 21:47:20 »
Oh dear... Broken... Must have outdated. I don't know if I still have them either... Can't seem to find them... Great...

And John, I did the wolf back a while ago, but the link seems broken and not sure if I can recover the files...

Quote from: Me, myself, and I, a while ago
I say eye candy too, for a few reasons, such as simplicity, and lack of use of killing them. Of course, this means the beautiful death animations on the birds were wasted...  Sad

Anyway, I finished the wolf. Here's the ENTIRE pack so far with john's models, the birds etc. I made the wolf a run, attack, idle, and die animation (see the readme included for information about optimal speeds to view them in).

Still to be animated:
-Snake (I slightly edited the model so the mouth isn't so square. This is already boned, so should be smooth sailing for any volunteers)
-Deer
-Fish??? (If this is going to be included, then the model must be moved down, since water units are placed on the surface)
-Rabbit

Another note:
I converted ALL the blend files so that links are RELATIVE. This is a must when sharing files, since it makes sure the textures are still usable without having to be relinked. To do so, when browsing for the image, make sure the "Relative" button is pressed. Do this for both the texture in the buttons window, and the texture in the texture window. An alternative that isn't very suitable for glest is to pack the image, which includes it compressed in the blend file, increasing filesize, but preventing all texture problems. But since the g3d format needs the external texture, thats a waste of space. Can be handy for models not used in glest though (ie: that video some people are trying to create).
« Last Edit: 8 October 2010, 21:50:34 by Omega »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 8 October 2010, 22:02:32 »
And John, I did the wolf back a while ago, but the link seems broken and not sure if I can recover the files...
If your weren't attached to your body, you'd lose it -- if it were a file, anyway.  You need a Drop Box or something. :P

I'll be animating mine anyway, so I'll make it available if you can't recover.