Author Topic: Glest 3.2.1 Released  (Read 22436 times)

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
Glest 3.2.1 Released
« on: 13 February 2009, 10:39:19 »
Hello,

We have released Glest 3.2.1 today.

One of Glest's main strengths has always been it's stability. With version 3.2.1 we've fixed a few issues, however we always need everyone's help to try to fix any remaining bugs. If Glest crashes on your computer please tell us, and if possible give us information about the machine(s) involved, and what were you doing in the game when it happened. If you are playing under windows please send us the "dmp" file that gets generated in the root folder, since that will help us a lot.

As usual windows installer is at:

http://glest.org/en/downloads.php

And for Linux and other OSes you can download the code and data from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glest

However is probably a good idea to wait until titi compiles the official binaries.  ( update[titi]  available now! )

Regards.

Martiño.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2009, 17:20:05 by titi »

charlieg

Re: Glest 3.2.1 Released
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2009, 10:45:46 »
It would be nice if you could post a basic list of changes/fixes rather than alluding to them. :)

Also, what is going on with GAE?  Are GAE features being rolled into Glest?  There was a thread where you specifically said that GAE would become mainline Glest but that thread has been removed.

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2009, 11:07:09 »
The complete list of features is in the readme.txt file as usual. I just don't want to bore people with technical stuff in this board.

I don't think we will be integrating GAE into Glest since at the moment they are two different projects, I think its good they stay like that. Glest is a core set of very stable features while GAE is a place for new things and experimentation.

gameboy

« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2009, 11:11:49 »
Martino, if I make a good loading screen will use it in the next glest release?

maxpower

« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2009, 11:47:57 »
I don't think we will be integrating GAE into Glest since at the moment they are two different projects, I think its good they stay like that. Glest is a core set of very stable features while GAE is a place for new things and experimentation.
But if the Glest mainline will only contain bugfix releases, it will soon be "replaced" by something else (for example a new stable GAE), leading to its death. Because if some other projects get better then Glest, most of the people will use the new games --> Glest is dead.

Or did I misunderstood something?

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2009, 12:02:26 »
You are right. If some other project has everything that Glest has, and more, and it is stable, Glest would become outdated. However I doubt this will happen any time soon, if ever.

maxpower

« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2009, 13:17:55 »
But even if there's no competitor, if you don't update Glest a lot of people will still go (because no new content means that it gets boring over time). They will go slower, but they will.

With the current information I have, the best thing would be to take Glest 3.2.1, put everything from it into GAE (that isn't already in there), stabailize GAE and then release this new stable product as Glest 4.0 (or 3.3 or whatever). And then only continue the work on this one single product.

wyrm

« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2009, 16:46:23 »
Hello,

We have released Glest 3.2.1 today.

One of Glest's main strengths has always been it's stability. With version 3.2.1 we've fixed a few issues, however we always need everyone's help to try to fix any remaining bugs. If Glest crashes on your computer please tell us, and if possible give us information about the machine(s) involved, and what were you doing in the game when it happened. If you are playing under windows please send us the "dmp" file that gets generated in the root folder, since that will help us a lot.

As usual windows installer is at:

http://glest.org/en/downloads.php

And for Linux and other OSes you can download the code and data from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glest

However is probably a good idea to wait until titi compiles the official binaries.

Regards.

Martiño.
what about the binaries for linux?
now we need download the binarie or this build it  from source?
thanks!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2009, 16:59:01 »
here it is ( the linux binary )

« Last Edit: 13 February 2009, 18:36:31 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

@kukac@

« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2009, 17:41:14 »
When the game changes to espanol language, it crashes.

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2009, 18:16:21 »
When the game changes to espanol language, it crashes.

What version of the game are you running? What does the crash say? I've just tested the windows version and everything is fine.

@kukac@

« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2009, 19:32:19 »

"Cannot open propertyMap file: \data\lang\espanol.lng"

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2009, 19:44:01 »
I wonder if this is a problem with the "ñ" character, is this under windows? what if you rename the español.lng file to something else like "espanol"?

@kukac@

« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2009, 09:20:19 »
Yes, it's most likely because the letters, it works with normal latin letters.

narcisgarcia

« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2009, 18:30:57 »
If you license the software as free software (FLOSS) it can be much easier to help with bugs.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2009, 20:27:16 »
 ??? ??? ???
its all free and open source, so what do you want?
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2009, 21:24:47 »
Another post mentioned it was unclear in the license file.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

narcisgarcia

Explicit license mention for everyone
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2009, 09:31:33 »
The only ways a normal user has to see if Glest is free software (FLOSS) are:

- Open the "About" tab in the Glest's home page. But there isn't any license mention.

- Open the about/credits option in the main menu of the game. But there is only shown a "copyright" mention.

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: Explicit license mention for everyone
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2009, 10:38:34 »
If you read the source code you will see that it is offered under GPL. This is also mentioned in the FAQ in this forum.

However we don't care too much about all that legal crap, and I'm really not going to engage in any geeky license arguments. Glest is free and you can do whatever you want with it, but please be polite and credit us, that's how it works.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2009, 10:44:02 by martiño »

narcisgarcia

« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2009, 11:22:54 »
It's okay, GNU GPL, but I'm recommending people to watch if the software they install is licensed under GPL.

And they say "And how I find this detail?", and I answer "All the software has a mention in the 'About' option or the splash screen while is launching".
It's a good recommendation to make find this software property, Am I right?

maxpower

« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2009, 08:17:52 »
I have to agree a bit with both of you. On the one hand I agree with martino: I for one doesn't really care about the legal stuff (it's free and fun, what else does matter for me as a player?) But on the other hand, after Narcis Garcia asked for the license, I wanted to reply him and pointing him to the correct place where the license is written down. But: I couldn't. Because: I didn't find it.

I think adding a small sentence and link to the GPL text on the about page on the website should satisfy everyone.

kenhungkk

« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2009, 00:27:38 »
Met some problems that never appear when I was using Glest 3.2.0...

Whenever I start 3.2.1, it gives error, saying that "Error(s): AutoTest in glest.ini cannot be accessed". Is there any problem you guys met in running this version of Glest in Windows?

P.S. I runs it on a Vista laptop.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2009, 22:28:20 by martiño »

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2009, 04:22:49 »
I'm guessing you are using an older glest.ini file. Try adding "AutoTest=0" to it or update if I got the value wrong.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2009, 22:28:26 »
Met some problems that never appear when I was using Glest 3.2.0...

Whenever I start 3.2.1, it gives error, saying that "Error(s): AutoTest in glest.ini cannot be accessed". Is there any problem you guys met in running this version of Glest in Windows?

P.S. I runs it on a Vista laptop.

This means that that glest.ini can not be written, can you check that is not read only? If so, can you check that the installer is not installing it as read only? that would be a bad bug...

farvardin

« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2009, 23:00:24 »
just to tell I'm using 3.2.1 which is packaged into Archlinux, everything is working fine so far, I think on the 3.2.0 version it was written in the glest.ini "lang=english.lng" which lead glest telling it couldn't find the "english.lng.lng" so we had to change "lang=english" instead.

Glest is a fantastic game, the graphics are very well done, and the gameplay is enjoyable. Thank you for making it!