Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 278707 times)

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #1100 on: 1 August 2010, 23:44:11 »
Well titi is back. He did do some if not all the particles stuff. Hmm...
(I asked him.)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #1101 on: 2 August 2010, 09:37:23 »
Yes, I will download the current version and will put in all the particles I made. I hope its all done until next sunday so you can test it.
And by the way, its not only particles, its some model/texture/xml work too....
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1102 on: 2 August 2010, 23:53:13 »
Code: (Glest IRC Channel) [Select]
* tscharn (~tscharn@188.108.156.127) has joined #glest
* tscharn is now known as titi_linux
* ChanServ gives channel operator status to titi_linux
<titi_linux> hi all, I think I have bad news
<titi_linux> I accidently deleted alöl my Dark Magic work some minutres ago
<titi_linux> I had 3 backups but my boys carfully deleted them all manually, I can't believe it!
<titi_linux> ok maybe I have a chance to recover it with ext3grep .......
<titi_linux> cya later
* titi_linux has quit (Quit: Verlassend)
<tomreyn> gah crap
<tomreyn> i hope he'll run it from a live cdrom, not from his hdd
<ultifd> :(
:( Hopefully he can recover it...
Damm. EDIT: He got it.  :thumbup:

EDIT: Finally tested DM, nice. Nice icons, and I see you renamed some of the units too, but DM would be much better with particles. Too bad titi... For me, DM= 4 stars, "As always"...  :P
---
Too bad my experience wasn't that good. I tried a game of 4 vs 4, with all ultras. I got whammed... but that was just bad luck...  :|

nebososo

« Reply #1103 on: 4 August 2010, 02:30:37 »
I'm in a bit of hurry, but I figured it would be better to post it anyway. Ignore me if this has been pointed out already, I didn't read the thread.

I'm running the head megaglest subversion and when I tell an acolyte to build something, his animation changes to hammering (just like egypt's slaves), but if you tell another one to help him or make the first one stop and then resume building, he'll do that "summoning" animation.
Shouldn't it not hammer, just "summon"?

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1104 on: 4 August 2010, 02:36:51 »
Yeah, this is old. It doesn't matter whether it is MG SVN version BTW  :) Anyways, I have always thought of this...as just...weird I guess.
I'm running the head megaglest subversion and when I tell an acolyte to build something, his animation changes to hammering (just like egypt's slaves), but if you tell another one to help him or make the first one stop and then resume building, he'll do that "summoning" animation.
Shouldn't it not hammer, just "summon"?
Hammering=building
Summoning animation= healing

Just clarifying*

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: 4 August 2010, 03:45:37 »
Only the original build command executes as a build, while the others execute as repairs.  That's just kinda how the game works.  With a lot of other factions, this isn't as obvious because they have the same animations for building and repairing, but Dark Magic's Acolyte has different animations for each.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1106 on: 4 August 2010, 03:56:17 »
Only the original build command executes as a build, while the others execute as repairs.  That's just kinda how the game works.  With a lot of other factions, this isn't as obvious because they have the same animations for building and repairing, but Dark Magic's Acolyte has different animations for each.
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. Not completely sure if it was like this...
I guess DM just makes it more obvious. Still  :-\ ...Hmm...still somehow debatable.

modman

« Reply #1107 on: 4 August 2010, 06:25:26 »
@nebososo

Welcome to the forum.  I am honored that you downloaded a mod in which I participated in developing.

When we get LUA AIs I could change one of them to an attack and reuse the hammering one?  Dunno.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1108 on: 5 August 2010, 03:15:13 »
Yeah, welcome. (He isn't actually new to Glest though, just a good number of people that play Glest or etc on the IRC and don't register...usually vice versa though...)  :P

When we get LUA AIs I could change one of them to an attack and reuse the hammering one?  Dunno.
OK...Didn't know you'll need it... Do you? I think some mods are not GAE only and that...they...don't have this "scenario".  :|

Speaking of LUA, is Dark Magic a megaglest mod or a GAE mod. In the past, you said it was a GAE mod... Now, I am not completely sure... Please clarify.  :|

Hmm...I just played Dark Magic again, this time multiplayer. I think its good, but it really needs to be balanced...mostly overpowered. Such as, Gods Bane should be ANTI AIR ONLY. ...Shades (Was allyips...) are really overpowered too. They don't even run out of energy like archmages... Etc.
Gods Bane really needs to be fixed. Or else Dark Magic will also become a turtle faction too...Kinda like Sphinxes from Egypt.

modman

« Reply #1109 on: 6 August 2010, 07:12:16 »
I want Dark Magic to be a turtle faction.  No offense, but that's how I like to play.

OK...Didn't know you'll need it... Do you? I think some mods are not GAE only and that...they...don't have this "scenario".
If workers can attack right now, the whole faction goes down the drain for the AI.  The workers go and attack the enemy and this is often cripples Magic.  If I made LUA AIs, I would program it to send out maybe half of them to attack, or maybe they would attack if they came within the unit's sight.

Speaking of LUA, is Dark Magic a megaglest mod or a GAE mod. In the past, you said it was a GAE mod... Now, I am not completely sure... Please clarify.
Right now I haven't diverged the mod.  I would really like to use the GAE features, one one side.  If I get some particles for Megaglest, then there will obviously be Megaglest-specific release(s) too.

Hmm...I just played Dark Magic again, this time multiplayer. I think its good, but it really needs to be balanced...mostly overpowered. Such as, Gods Bane should be ANTI AIR ONLY. ...Shades (Was allyips...) are really overpowered too. They don't even run out of energy like archmages... Etc.
Thank you.  That is the kind of feedback I especially like.  I think all of your suggestions are reasonable.  (What do you think of the Shade particle proj, eh?  I like it a lot.)

Titi hated it, but I want to include a machine gun  type unit which attacks ground only to compliment the Gods Bane.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1110 on: 6 August 2010, 07:50:56 »
I want Dark Magic to be a turtle faction.  No offense, but that's how I like to play.
OK, BUT that is no reason for Gods Bane to be anti air AND anti ground. That really ruins Dark Magic IMHO, and outrules the [checks the name of the unit] Earth Serpent, since the Earth Serpent only has 1500 HP or so, and is weaker. Hmm...This just really ruins Dark Magic for me, also, when I first came across DM, gods bane was anti air only.  It ruins DM for me because it awfully adds to the unbalanceness of Dark Magic. (Basically way too overpowered, almost everyone I know agrees, overpowered to all other factions in the glest world mostly, overpowered to itself sometimes even...and this was typically the first thing people would say after trying Dark Magic) The overpowerfulness is like Egypt(Splash) + Norsemen(Random powerfulness) + Persian(ANTI AIR Powerfulness, and elephants.) I can really tell you a lot of people in the glest community, or that have tried out Dark Magic agree with me, basically. (But then they say the quality is nice, besides some animations or models/ but at first is hard to get used to(etc,etc,etc.) )

Titi hated it, but I want to include a machine gun  type unit which attacks ground only to compliment the Gods Bane.
I remember. I did not hate it, but I think it was pointless, and not really worth it in another sense. I remember I would not really use it compared to the Gods Bane or Earth Serpent. It was weak, no use, and I think one faction has a anti AIR building and a antiground/antiboth building. that is all... I mean it was cool, but it did not fit in...IMO.

OK...Didn't know you'll need it... Do you? I think some mods are not GAE only and that...they...don't have this "scenario".
If workers can attack right now, the whole faction goes down the drain for the AI.  The workers go and attack the enemy and this is often cripples Magic.  If I made LUA AIs, I would program it to send out maybe half of them to attack, or maybe they would attack if they came within the unit's sight.
Oh ok, sorry I somehow missed the "attack" part of your post. (I think it is the glestiness of the forum, the theme  ;) ) All I saw was change the healing one to hammering... Anyways, I don't think this needs to be discussed...yet.  :|

Speaking of LUA, is Dark Magic a megaglest mod or a GAE mod. In the past, you said it was a GAE mod... Now, I am not completely sure... Please clarify.
Right now I haven't diverged the mod.  I would really like to use the GAE features, one one side.  If I get some particles for Megaglest, then there will obviously be Megaglest-specific release(s) too.
Alright, I guess we will have two versions then. You should/probably will get particles + other changes from titi by Sunday, and he is working on it like everyday (at least today/yesterday) (Don't know if he add balancing changes, there is probably too many to do/too hard/not enough time)

Thank you.  That is the kind of feedback I especially like.  I think all of your suggestions are reasonable.  (What do you think of the Shade particle proj, eh?  I like it a lot.)
Hmm, no problem. I probably won't give much feedback concering that area until Dark Magic is balanced...
The Shade Particle proj.? It was awesome. Not saying it could not be improved though...  :|

Hmm, speaking of Shades. Why did you choose to rename the renamed units and/or buildings?  :|

EDIT: The new icons are cool. I don't know if perfect...but much better.  :thumbup:
EDIT: What use is the Devil Machine for (looks cool) but is equal to morlock right. I mean, AI does not use it much. People don't use them much, since...Shades are nice.
EDIT: I think I always use the 20 energy. No point really to use 5 or 10. Cept if you don't have enough resources...

Man, this post took a long time to write.  :P It is late now.

One more thing, I now think mediafire is better than Filefront. Why? Someone pointed out that it does not give direct links, like direct direct. So Mediafire is basically better than Filefront in that retrospect if not bigger then 200 MBs. Also that you don't need to register, etc.

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #1111 on: 6 August 2010, 08:47:29 »
I was watching the dark magic test video and noticed that the tileset is displaying the old custom surface texture 5 graphic -  titi updated that tileset a few versions ago.

Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/Glest%20Other/dark_magic_test.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 08:46:54 by filux »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1112 on: 6 August 2010, 18:30:05 »
I was watching the dark magic test video and noticed that the tileset is displaying the old custom surface texture 5 graphic -  titi updated that tileset a few versions ago.

[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/Glest%20Other/dark_magic_test.jpg[/img]
Oh yeah...so does this mean the Winter Forest tileset still uses the old custom surface texture 5 graphic? And by update you mean the "new winter tileset" right...
EDIT: titi confirmed he updated both. Sweet.
Oh and sorry for the quality...

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: 8 August 2010, 23:28:06 »
Here is the version with some Megaglest particles some changed models and so on:
http://www.titusgames.de/darkmagic/dark_magic_100809.7z
Please try it and tell me if its ok.

( Its still compatible with vanilla glest and should work with GAE too , but without particles )

Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1114 on: 9 August 2010, 21:33:04 »
Nice, as I told you! Now for balancing... And I see now, we will have two different versions, maybe even 3...  :|

[URL=http://img651.imageshack.us/i/oblivionportalparticles.jpg/][IMG]http://a.imageshack.us/img651/1929/oblivionportalparticles.jpg[/img][/URL]Oblivion Portal (When Producing Units) Particles

Well I was going to show all of it, but see for yourself.  :O
Now as I said, balancing, and other little stuff is left I guess.

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: 10 August 2010, 09:10:49 »
To solve the acolyte 'healing' buildings problem, use two repair skills & commands, for the current repair command remove all buildings from the units-repaired section, and put them in the new one, which uses the new repair skill with the same anim as build.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: 10 August 2010, 12:56:18 »
hm , I don't think its a problem. I personally liked it the way it is!

What do others think, should I change it so that those who repair a building look like the one that builds the building?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: 10 August 2010, 15:22:02 »
Yeah, I think it's fine how it is.  It's not wrong or right; it's just a style preference.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1118 on: 10 August 2010, 17:57:08 »
hm , I don't think its a problem. I personally liked it the way it is!

What do others think, should I change it so that those who repair a building look like the one that builds the building?
I actually like the..."style" of it...like what John said.

Although, it could be confusing to new people who are going to try it, since...for example, if this was going to be in the megapack, doesn't all of the factions just use "hammer/buildx2"?  :|

modman

« Reply #1119 on: 11 August 2010, 02:28:51 »
To solve the acolyte 'healing' buildings problem, use two repair skills & commands, for the current repair command remove all buildings from the units-repaired section, and put them in the new one, which uses the new repair skill with the same anim as build.

Hey man, that's not a bug, that's a feature!  I appreciate you testing it though.  Apparently the release was alright, since I have yet to hear a major complaint!

@titi (and the rest of the planet incidentally)

Now I'm extra excited.  I'm on vacation, and so I can only access internet via a shared PC, so I cannot test.  But that screen ultifd posed was, might I say, sexy.  It makes Mark's model look great, and the particles look awesome (a lot like that portal in Stargate).

Ultifd, could you post some more screenies for me?  Thanks.  I get home the seventeenth.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1120 on: 11 August 2010, 21:00:00 »
Apparently the release was alright, since I have yet to hear a major complaint!
Yeah, besides some AI problems...something type 0 or something. Not sure.

Oh, ok.
(click to show/hide)
Maybe there is more, but can't really get anymore in a "fake game". The particles are really nice when the units are also on water...shadow walkers, etc. (for shadow walkers somehow they look worse in the screenshots, but only in them...)

modman

« Reply #1121 on: 12 August 2010, 02:56:17 »
Dunno if it's possible, but when I get home I'm inspired to make some particles for the Sorcery Runes.  There should be a flame for every spike.  We'll see if that gets done or not . . .

Anyways, the screenies are sexy as ever.  Thanks ultifd.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1122 on: 12 August 2010, 19:40:17 »
Oh yeah, this thread is so active/mod is awesome (though I still think it needs to be balanced) ;) we don't need it to be stickied... "hurray" I guess.  :O

No problem for screenies, you should also thank titi ;) .

Dunno if it's possible, but when I get home I'm inspired to make some particles for the Sorcery Runes.  There should be a flame for every spike.  We'll see if that gets done or not . . .
OK I told titi about your idea on the Glest IRC Channel, and this is what he said.
<titi_linux> yes possible
<titi_linux> but how many spikes?
<titi_linux> every flame is one particle system ...
<titi_linux> so it will eat some performance maybe
<ultifd> 11 on the head thing, and 8 on the outside
And then, I have a question. Which "spikes"? Both, head, or the "bottom/outside"
then he told me to try it myself...so maybe I will try to do two flames...
EDIT: This also led me to remember the g3d editor was upgraded/updated a long time ago...it can load the XMLs for particles...awesome.

<titi_linux> try it
<ultifd> hmm? don't know how
<titi_linux> try every second or something else
<titi_linux> look at other flames and learn :)
<ultifd> lol
<titi_linux> hint blacksmith
Oh yeah...

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: 12 August 2010, 20:17:06 »
A flame coming out of each spike?  Yikes.  I can barely even play Persians because the Magic Carpet's particles eat my performance.  I think this proposed Sorcery Runes effect would put my computer into a coma!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1124 on: 13 August 2010, 00:05:15 »
A flame coming out of each spike?  Yikes.  I can barely even play Persians because the Magic Carpet's particles eat my performance.  I think this proposed Sorcery Runes effect would put my computer into a coma!
Yeah, it could be really bad... 8 Sorcery Runes, and if lets say 8 spikes...64 spikes of flame...of course we build more then one Sorcery Runes...
Oh well, just in time for the lag improvements... (for 3.3.6 today no lag!!!unless a lot of units...a lot...but we also lost a lot of games (did the AI get better?) and finally won...once... out of many. damm. )
Let see. maybe somehow create it so modman still gets what he wants, it still looks cool, but won't mess up the performance.

anything