Author Topic: GAE 0.2.12b  (Read 41824 times)

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
GAE 0.2.12b
« on: 7 August 2009, 02:46:44 »
0.2.12b

Windows (32 bit)

Linux (32 bit x86)

A small data package is required, to be extracted in your glest directory (not needed if you downloaded it for 0.2.12a).

Complete list of changes

====================================================

0.2.12 Features:

The pathfinder defaults to the Greedy Search algorithm, with a node limit of 1024, both the algorithm and the node limit can be adjusted in the options menu.

LUA powered scenarios seem to work Ok, but this hasn't been tested extensively yet, please report any issues you find with it.

The new movement fields are,
any_water, unit may travel on any submerged cell.
deep_water, unit may only travel on deep submerged cells.
amphibious, unit may travel on any land or submerged cell.
There is a graphical glitch when an amphibious unit crosses the 'shore' (it 'jumps' up/down a bit).

A 'starting unit' with 'any_water' or 'deep_water' will probably crash the game, giving you a message about building a better map, this is because the unit couldn't be placed at the start location.  Amphibious units should be fine though.

Unit's can be spawned into the new fields from LUA, so while the only way to get a unit in the deep_water field in a regular game is with a morph (amphibious unit -> deep_water unit), in scenarios ships can be spawned in the water.

Please feel free to leave feedback and/or bug reports here, thanks!
« Last Edit: 24 November 2009, 16:48:08 by silnarm »
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

gameboy

Re: GAE 0.2.12
« Reply #1 on: 8 August 2009, 14:12:02 »
Yay!!! water units.... i might try to make a mod for this  :o 8)

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 August 2009, 14:45:49 »
I tested the new version for a while and found two bugs:

1 - Water units using the amphibious tag seem to walk on the water rather than through or under it.

2 - I tried to play Heretik's simple TD scenario. The units were placed wrongly and the Ghouls were not attacking as they should. I have played this scenario fine on Vanilla 3.2.2.

Testing was done on Vista with a vanilla 3.2.2 install with only Gae 0.2.12 files and Heretik's scenario added.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

gameboy

« Reply #3 on: 8 August 2009, 14:47:22 »
take a look at the Elven boat i made in 5 mins :D

i only have to make a texture for it and we're done XD

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 8 August 2009, 23:59:54 »
I'm very excited about the prospect of water units in future mods.  I'll probably incorporate a few into Sun and Moon eventually.  I tried out this version of GAE today and here is my... um... undocumented feature report, hopefully with plenty of pictures with which to reproduce the events.

Battle Machines aren't supposed to fly, are they?  Somehow, when this Technician began to morph, he entered the air field.

Not only did he hover above the ground, but once he morphed he could actually walk/fly right over trees, and enemy melee units could not target him.

The strangest part is that there was another Technician standing right next to where this Battle Machine first formed, and he was auto-repairing him from that spot, even from across the map!

Here's a shot of my flying Battle Machine passing next to an enemy that appears to have taken advantage of the same glitch.

Interestingly enough, the flying Battle Machines use their melee attacks (normally only able to target ground units) on each other when flying, as well as on ground units, but ground-based Battle Machines fire arrows at flying ones.  This is on GAE 0.2.12 running on Windows Vista with an unmodified Magitech tech tree from Glest 3.2.2.

Also, I couldn't get Free Camera to work.  Does it work the same way as vanilla Glest, or is there something different you need to do?  Mouse scrolling seemed to be less responsive, but maybe that's because I was running it in windowed mode (couldn't figure out how to do full screen).  Also, the game seemed to run a little slower than vanilla Glest, but that could have been my imagination.  I don't mean like it was running choppy or anything, just like the game speed had been set a little lower than usual.

Lastly, my game ended quite unintentionally.

Edit: Fixed one of the links.
« Last Edit: 9 August 2009, 00:05:17 by John.d.h »

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 9 August 2009, 01:35:10 »
1 - Water units using the amphibious tag seem to walk on the water rather than through or under it.
2 - I tried to play Heretik's simple TD scenario. The units were placed wrongly and the Ghouls were not attacking as they should. I have played this scenario fine on Vanilla 3.2.2.
1. This was actually the intention, allowing units that can walk/swim underwater is on the cards for the future, but it creates a whole lot of problems I don't want to consider just yet :)

2. Thanks, will check that one out.

take a look at the Elven boat i made in 5 mins :D

Looks nice, just a warning though, it wont look so good changing directions in game. The models are rotated to their new facing very quickly, causing 'long' units to twist rather suddenly, but don't despair... I do plan to fix this...

Battle Machines aren't supposed to fly, are they?  Somehow, when this Technician began to morph, he entered the air field.
Hmm... I thought I'd fixed this back up, but obviously not... the root cause of this problem is that the battlemachine and archer both claim they can fly in the xml.  I had to change a lot of code to do with fields obviously... and I had both archers and battle machines flying all the time for a while ;)

You're always in free camera mode in GAE, middle mouse to rotate view, ctrl + middle mouse to pan.

We have more 'levels' of game speed in GAE, can be changed with +/- as usual, our normal may be slower then vanilla glest's, I'm not sure.

Lastly, my game ended quite unintentionally.

Ahhh, that's one of mine... I love a descriptive error message!

Thanks for the reports.

Timeline | Downloads

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 9 August 2009, 04:15:38 »
COOL!!!!
This Is so neat!
But there are some bugs still.
I don't know if you ever played pirates but I made it so you can make pirate ships and it crashed.
(Not at first of course.)
For example If you morph a amphibious unit to a all water or deep water unit and there is no water or deep water in the map it crashes. You should make it so the units half to be in the water and/or the deep water to build or morph.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 9 August 2009, 04:26:53 »
You're always in free camera mode in GAE, middle mouse to rotate view, ctrl + middle mouse to pan.
So WASD keys don't work for it anymore?  I'm afraid I don't have a three-button mouse and I had to turn off the scrolling feature on my touchpad because I keep triggering it accidentally.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 9 August 2009, 05:50:31 »
But there are some bugs still.
and there'll be plenty more to find yet!

For example If you morph a amphibious unit to a all water or deep water unit and there is no water or deep water in the map it crashes. You should make it so the units half to be in the water and/or the deep water to build or morph.

Umm.. I did. I will admit it hasn't been well tested yet, but I have morphed land -> amphibious and amphibious -> deep_water without problems, if you try the latter while on land you get the 'invalid position' message.  What happened just before the crash? Could I see the xml?

So WASD keys don't work for it anymore?  I'm afraid I don't have a three-button mouse and I had to turn off the scrolling feature on my touchpad because I keep triggering it accidentally.

Check your keymap.ini file, in mine they are now shift+W, shift+A etc.
A & S are hooked up to attack and stop commands, and D select next damaged unit, but if you don't want to use those, just remove the values after the '=' and then delete the 'Shift+' before all the CameraPitchXXX and CameraRotateXXX.

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2009, 05:40:54 »
Yay, BTW: could anyone do me a favor? Because of my internet, could someone give me a 7z with just this and all the files it needs, including the ones from glest 3.2.2. In short, I need everything in the main folder, the data folder, and anything else included in the GAE release. No techtrees, no tilesets, no maps. I have all that, but am missing some other files due to the disc from my friend being corrupted, and my internet is such a pain for downloading 3.2.2!

Anyone who can download at 500kbs+ can help without too much trouble.

Thanks in advance! ;)
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2009, 19:57:36 »
@Omega: I'm on it.  Will post in a few.

Edit: Here it is, 18mb compressed to 6.3mb.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hlmfznzgxxt/gae_0.2.12_glest_3.2.2.7z
« Last Edit: 10 August 2009, 20:05:54 by John.d.h »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2009, 08:25:34 »
Thank you so much john. I hope in the future that my phone company will hold true to its words and expand its high speed internet out where I live. I don't see why not. It's one of the most reliable companies in Canada, and being biased in saskatchewan, there is no reccession, and hasn't been one since good old '30s, in which case I was too young to remember anything! ;D

Ah, good ol' scripting, I missed you!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2009, 14:33:26 »
Ok so I have a amphibious unit (A pirate.) and he wants to build and/or morph and/or somon a boat he should half to go into shallow water, But he can do it in shallow water or on land.) And the same for the all water boat he should only be able to build and/or morph and/or somon the deep_water boat in deep water.(And the same for morphing back.)

Hmmm to bad you cant't make half water half land unit so it sits on the shore.?.?.?.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2009, 19:16:04 »
Hmmm to bad you cant't make half water half land unit so it sits on the shore.?.?.?.
I think currently the best way to do it is to have your pirate be a land unit, and then have him morph into a raft with wheels or something like that, which would be amphibious, and then when he takes the raft out into the water he can build/summon/morph into a bigger boat.  Alternatively, I think he could go out on his raft and build a shipyard on the water.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2009, 05:40:02 »
Yes but you can do water stuff on land and deep water stuff in shallow water.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2009, 08:24:05 »
Best version of GAE yet!!!

Works 100% flawless for me, haven't seen so much as a single glinch, although I admit, I've yet to try the new lua (will soon!) and haven't tried the new fields yet either (once again, will soon!), but I must say, I'm impressed. I also noticed one really neat thing. While the shift+w, etc; camera keys are normally annoying, I don't have to use them anymore! By holding down my MMB, I can move the mouse to rotate the camera, and scroll the MMB to zoom. So far, I love it, and haven't seen any of the things these guys are complaining about. Windows to the rescue?

However, big issue: I really, really need the source. I've checked the sourceforge page where you uploaded the binaries, but the only source is old. I also really need any updated dependancies. BTW, is the language file correct, is is this just the version that John uploaded for me? I edited what I noticed, but there seemed to have been a few missing language nodes, all unique to this version (zones [the new fields], the path finding in the options window, etc;). Did you remember to update that?

Fast replies for the source code and dependencies are greatly appreciated!

assassin

« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2009, 08:34:30 »
Getting the source is a bit complicated... You have to use the SVN. I think in Windows the easiest way to use svn is here:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
Then download the source from the SVN:
https://glestae.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/glestae/trunk/source/

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 August 2009, 08:44:25 »
  For the moment, it's SVN or nothing. Sorry... will package up a source zip over the weekend.  As for the dependencies, you may want to wait, Hailstone recently replaced Xerces with TinyXML, while this was done some time ago now it still hasn't made it's way to trunk, but I'm personally happy that it works as intended, and hope to reintegrate it with trunk this weekend, this knocks a whole lot off the size of the dependencies package, and halves the size of our executable to boot!

I don't know how far away from release you are, but GAE-0.2.13 might be worth waiting for.

Timeline | Downloads

assassin

« Reply #18 on: 14 August 2009, 09:18:02 »
As for the dependencies, you may want to wait, Hailstone recently replaced Xerces with TinyXML, while this was done some time ago now it still hasn't made it's way to trunk, but I'm personally happy that it works as intended, and hope to reintegrate it with trunk this weekend, this knocks a whole lot off the size of the dependencies package, and halves the size of our executable to boot!

Nice... But why did Glest use Xerces in the first place?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: 14 August 2009, 11:44:11 »
I think I'll wait. Not only will it save me the hassle of getting the source, dependancies and all, but the next version should be better anyway.

Besides, I got other work to do for now. ;)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 August 2009, 15:20:47 »
I couldn't click on scenarios?

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 August 2009, 00:09:28 »
this knocks a whole lot off the size of the dependencies package, and halves the size of our executable to boot!
which makes the new GUI dependencies not seem as large ;D

I think xerces could still be used with an external application to test the validity of xmls and provide better error messages for mod makers. Something like http://tools.decisionsoft.com/schemaValidate/ or http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/ead/tools/schema_validate/ but we would need to create a schema file.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: 7 September 2009, 06:53:19 »
I'm trying to get GAE but what do I do. I have a 64-bit system I don't know where to download it for 64-bit.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 7 September 2009, 09:57:02 »
There is no 64-bit version. The 32-bit version should work on a 64-bit OS.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: 7 September 2009, 12:39:34 »
I'll try it.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com