Author Topic: hOW DO YOU GET PAST THE SECOND WAVE OF ATTACL  (Read 2278 times)

vangellis

hOW DO YOU GET PAST THE SECOND WAVE OF ATTACL
« on: 26 September 2009, 14:32:36 »
Hi all
I'm new to Glest and although I have played about a dozen or so games I am unable to get past the second wave of attack on any scenario.
I start of by building a barracks, then a farm, I then click the castle and create 4 workers whom I set to collect wood and gold. Then I start to create swordsmen and archers, I manage to last through the first attack but seem to lose a lot of my army, by the time the second attack comes my army is outnumbered by loads,
How on earth do I overcome this, am I doing something wrong.
any help appreciated as it looks a great game.
cheers
vangellis

Kung Fu Panda

Re: hOW DO YOU GET PAST THE SECOND WAVE OF ATTACL
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2009, 15:51:30 »
IDK about tech but I have a strategy in magic that is 89% guaranteed to make you win ;)

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2009, 02:05:10 »
I start of by building a barracks, then a farm, I then click the castle and create 4 workers whom I set to collect wood and gold. Then I start to create swordsmen and archers, I manage to last through the first attack but seem to lose a lot of my army, by the time the second attack comes my army is outnumbered by loads,

Build more workers to harvest gold & wood faster, build a second barracks...
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2009, 18:22:53 »
Please do not post titles in capitals. That is a violation of the Forum Rules.

You should start by building a farm and barracks at the same time, while continuously sending units to mine mostly gold and harvest wood, though a few should do stone (eventually). Keep producing workers early on until you have around ten, then produce military units. Be sure to move all your military units to where ever the foe will come from, so that they will not be able to hit your base before you can attack them.

Focus your units on archers early on, with a few swordsmen. Once you have at least 15 military units, build a blacksmith and do the stable upgrade. Then you can continue, making archers your priority, while adding a guard and horsemen every now and then. After the second attack, and you still have 15+ military units, build a technodrome and produce a technician or two along with all the upgrades.

Now have the technician build an aerodrome, and once done, you can morph technicians into battle machines (once the upgrade is done). Once you have the robotics upgrade, you should also produce as many airships as you can safely afford while maintaining the rest of your army.

Now your base is probably pretty full, and once you have enough units (I'd recommend about 32), select them in groups of 16, then number them and send them to attack. When sending them to attack, it's best to leave about 5+ units behind if against only 1 AI, since there's a possibility of the AI taking an alternative route and slipping past you. Only move your units about 10 tiles at a time, and wait for the slow units to catch up before continuing.

Once you reach the foe's base, quickly have a small group of LAND ONLY units attack any air ballistas or tower of souls, since they will dispose of your airships fast. Then focus all attacks on your foes military units, saving the buildings for last. Once their military units are down, target any defensive buildings, then target their main building before destroying the rest.

Congrats, you've won.

Of course, it's easier with magic, though it takes a higher degree of skill for magic... Still, I've never lost... ;)
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Scenariole

« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2009, 21:44:49 »
Scenario's you say?

I hope your not going against the Ultra AI yet. You should make a custom game with a 1 on 1 against normal CPU if you're feeling brave or a 2 on 1 (You and an ally against 1 enemy).

If you are tech:

Make a heck lot of gold. Tech can only swarm at the start since the enemy would have lots of daemons. Make sure you mine gold (8 or more workers on gold) and about 6 or more workers on wood. You won't need stone for now unless your going to make lots of farms instead of cows...

Make sure you have atleast 3 barracks. Most of your men later on will be coming from the barracks since you would be making alot of cavalry later on.

But for the start of the game, keep researching and making swordsmen, archers and guards. Once you are up to the last research then start making techno dromes.

And continue from there...

For Magic:

Build up on gold. You won't need stone or any other crap like that, well maybe you do. Have about 10 initiates on working on gold and about 4 on wood and 4 on stone. Now with your summoner make as many daemons as you can. Once your gold gets down wait for it to go up and do the same. Now wait until your resources are high with wood like about 500 since you won't be using it yet and promote them all to battlemages. From here on make an initiate and make a energy node. Then promote. Once you have about 16 daemons or more start making battlemages from the initiates that mined stone.

You should be able to swarm your enemy like this. And kill them before they make powerful units.

anything