Author Topic: Machinery Faction ideas  (Read 22177 times)

jacko161

Machinery Faction ideas
« on: 28 February 2010, 22:47:39 »
We are starting a Machinery Faction (Modern Military Faction) for Glest and we could use some ideas any feedback would be greatly appriciated  ;D

We have some basic tech tree plans ready but they are quite Large (around 2000x300 pixels) but we can send them to you if required 

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Machinery Faction ideas
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2010, 22:49:54 »
Well, make sure it is different from Omega's faction...  ::)
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=3802.0
http://glest.110mb.com/military/

::)  :P

jacko161

« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2010, 22:53:01 »
OK well it looks like we have a different idea to him  :)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2010, 23:26:13 »
If you tell us a little more about what your faction is about, we can help you a little better.  If the tech tree image is too large, you could just type it out as a document like this (Google Docs is a fantastic tool for collaboration, by the way), or upload it to ImageShack.us and post the thumbnail (so people who want to see it can click for the large image, but people who don't won't have to load the whole thing).  If the faction is Machinery, is it like a robot military?  That would be pretty fun, and I'm sure we could come up with some cool ideas.

jda

« Reply #4 on: 1 March 2010, 00:08:51 »
or upload it to ImageShack.us and post the thumbnail (so people who want to see it can click for the large image, but people who don't won't have to load the whole thing).
Imageshack allows you to resize the image when uploading (800x600 or 1024x768 should be fine for most people I guess).

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 1 March 2010, 03:26:53 »
We are starting a Machinery Faction (Modern Military Faction) for Glest and we could use some ideas any feedback would be greatly appriciated  ;D
"We" as in all of the people in your class? (that's working on Glest stuff...) ?
 ::)  :P

sand_drew

« Reply #6 on: 1 March 2010, 10:36:59 »
We as in the three of us who posted on the forum so far, plus one more. The rest are doing other things.

jacko161

« Reply #7 on: 1 March 2010, 23:35:44 »
well we are actually currently finalizing our tech tree cause we have the drafts but each has their ups and downs

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 1 March 2010, 23:39:57 »
well we are actually currently finalizing our tech tree cause we have the drafts but each has their ups and downs
I see.
We as in the three of us who posted on the forum so far, plus one more. The rest are doing other things.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 1 March 2010, 23:42:30 »
Some of us have a lot of experience with how balance works in Glest, so if you post some of your ideas we can probably help sort out that tech tree a little faster/better.

jacko161

« Reply #10 on: 1 March 2010, 23:52:56 »
Well our basic idea is that we have one faction that can build basic structures and gather resources the player then chooses whether they become a machinery or magic faction

we have 7 building ideas for our faction

-Command Center
-Barracks
-Factory
-Air field
-MG position
-research lab
-nuclear missile silo

we are also going to update the magic faction but im not working on that to much im more into the machinery side

sand_drew

« Reply #11 on: 1 March 2010, 23:55:12 »
Magic is currently a fairly similar parallel.

-Wizard's Tower
-Sorcerer's Academy
-Summoning Pit
-Temple of the Elements
-Ritual Circle
-Arcane Ward
-Research School

However, we are still combining all our group members ideas into one solid tech tree, so everything we have said is subject to change.

jacko161

« Reply #12 on: 1 March 2010, 23:57:14 »
we would are working on units but one of our guys is very controlling :-X

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: 2 March 2010, 00:00:53 »
Magic is currently a fairly similar parallel.
It would definitely be better to rethink one of the factions so that they aren't parallel, because parallel factions generally aren't as fun too play. :-\

So how about 3D Art, how far have you guys gotten?
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

sand_drew

« Reply #14 on: 2 March 2010, 06:22:04 »
Perhaps, they are different, but follow a similiar structure.

One member of the group, Fordy, is currently working on a basic human model, but we're only just getting started.

sand_drew

« Reply #15 on: 4 March 2010, 03:42:07 »

This is our current finalized version of the tech tree.

Key:
Light Blue: Buildings
Red: Units
Orange: Tech upgrades
Brown: An upgrade that affects the unit to which the tag is assigned
Dark Blue: A requirement for the production of said unit/building
Bright Green: Machinery side
Pink/purple: Sorcery side

Red lines denote Machinery
Dark green denote Sorcery

Feel free to ask any questions.

Gabbe

« Reply #16 on: 4 March 2010, 09:44:12 »
whooa! large!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 4 March 2010, 17:38:46 »
Wow, what kind of tech is this?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Gabbe

« Reply #18 on: 4 March 2010, 18:01:32 »
is this going military with wizards? i have to laugh, uh, i dunt knov if this is a joke...

sand_drew

« Reply #19 on: 4 March 2010, 21:04:14 »
We've already established that this isn't a joke. It's part of a school project for one of our classes.

The idea, as previously stated by Jacko, is to have a central base starting faction, which, after a brief time, can become modern technology or sorcery, at the behest of the player.

I also fail to see anything laughable about the concept of an alternate history in whence, magic and machinery live side by side. Such a concept is nothing new.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 4 March 2010, 21:18:11 »
So far the tech tree looks good, but I have a few things for you to consider.  First, that's going to be a LOT of work!  I don't know the details of your assignment and how much you're required to make, but you might consider scaling it back a bit if you're allowed to.  I think that if the two branches had more units in common, then it would make sense to have it all as one faction the way you do now... but if they're going to be switching to either machinery or sorcery pretty much right away, then doesn't it make more sense to just make two separate factions?

is this going military with wizards? i have to laugh, uh, i dunt knov if this is a joke...
If I understand the idea correctly, you start out with peasants and a castle, and you can build EITHER magic stuff OR military stuff, not both. :P

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #21 on: 5 March 2010, 03:07:54 »
Metallic paladins of Andabatae.

The Andabatae is the epitome of Solaris 7 arena combat, in more ways than one. Originally commissioned by the Solaris government as part of a multi-faceted advertising campaign, the Andabatae's design documents made no mention of the performance specs. Instead they outlined an image, a "spokes-mech" who's form was born in a vast, cross-referenced database of fan-mail, news articles, spectator polls, and top five lists. The result was filtered through the best graphic designers and advertising agencies in the Free Worlds League, then it was put out to bid.

Nothing left to harvest?

http://battletechlive.wordpress.com/2009/06/05/battlemech-design-options/
« Last Edit: 5 March 2010, 03:18:11 by Trappin »

Bruce

« Reply #22 on: 5 March 2010, 06:51:14 »
So far the tech tree looks good, but I have a few things for you to consider.  First, that's going to be a LOT of work!  I don't know the details of your assignment and how much you're required to make, but you might consider scaling it back a bit if you're allowed to.  I think that if the two branches had more units in common, then it would make sense to have it all as one faction the way you do now... but if they're going to be switching to either machinery or sorcery pretty much right away, then doesn't it make more sense to just make two separate factions?

The assignment I've set is a progressive one - I am well aware that they don't have all the time in the world to work on it, so it's up to them to manage their workload. If it means that they don't complete all of it by the assignment deadline, so be it - I'll be interested to see how they plan so that they can still produce something at the end. For example, they may choose to start with the Castle, Command Centre and WIzard's Tower and associated units, and get all of that working properly. If by the end of the semester they don't complete the whole thing but what they do complete is flawless, then there's still potential for a very good mark (naturally if they only create a castle and peasant they won't get an A...)

I think the challenge they've created for themselves is a good one, and will be interested to see how they solve some of the problems they'll come up against with this approach. And, I'd also like to see them continue working on the project after the class finishes up this semester - I'll have another class of students doing the same thing, and they may opt to build upon what these guys do, or start from scratch again. Either way, over time, the classes should produce a number of new factions for the game (some good, some not so good...)

Gabbe

« Reply #23 on: 5 March 2010, 12:26:05 »
if i got this correctly now, you plan to make something of a tech and magician faction, just6 that the "tech" faction will evolve modern style of combat?

sand_drew

« Reply #24 on: 5 March 2010, 21:02:42 »
Again, the idea is that you start with a basic generic faction and branch out into a modern military/tech side or a sorcery/magic side.

We are fully aware that similiar factions for both types exist already, which is why we tried to ensure that all units and the like were kept as unique as possible.

anything