Author Topic: GAE, Megaglest & what happens next...  (Read 11295 times)

Zoythrus

Re: GAE, Megaglest & what happens next...
« Reply #25 on: 10 April 2010, 14:48:24 »
i say that we merge GAE into MG, because i prefer stability over anything else (although i do want all that cool stuff that GAE has).

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 April 2010, 16:28:09 »
Yah, GAE is cool but it needs to be stable, I say port most of the stuff in GAE to MG.
Because i prefer stability over anything else.
Yes, I agree.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Fluffy203

« Reply #27 on: 10 April 2010, 16:58:47 »
no offense to you guys , but that would be ridiculous. It would be way more simple to just port MG to GAE since they are basically all softcodes and no real hard dev in the coding. Whilst GAE has changed multitude of things that would be rather difficult to port to MG. WE just need them to merge idc what we call it , it could be called WORD TO YOUR MOTHER  :|

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 April 2010, 19:52:11 »
No, GAE is not very stable I don't thing that would work, anyways we tried to port MG to GAE a wile back and GAE wouldn't stop crashing so we gave up on GAE.

Fluffy203

« Reply #29 on: 10 April 2010, 20:45:15 »
GAE is stable for me i haven't had it crash at all never not once least not since i started using it and GLADE is basing its mod on GAE  :D

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10 April 2010, 21:42:45 »
Do it if you want I am just a modeler for GLADE. And it always crashes for me... Maybe you have a stabler version.

Fluffy203

« Reply #31 on: 10 April 2010, 21:59:44 »
we are then why not get a stable version of GAE?

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 April 2010, 22:19:17 »
GAE is every bit as stable as MG, in my opinion.

Fluffy203

« Reply #33 on: 10 April 2010, 22:28:06 »
It is i dont' get this unstable thing at all   :confused:

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 10 April 2010, 22:35:35 »
Stable? MG and GAE? They are  both rather usually unstable...  ::)

Fluffy203

« Reply #35 on: 10 April 2010, 22:45:48 »
i haven't had a crash out of GAE and i haven't tried mega glest yet so idk , i still think MG needs to port to GAE or GAE can just implement the softcoding that MG did such as 8 players

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: 11 April 2010, 00:36:49 »
Just to make it well clear, GAE IS unstable, ok, I've gotten crashes out of 'stable versions' of GAE.

MG has it's problems too, neither is perfectly stable!
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 April 2010, 00:55:10 »
Yes, every version I got of GAE has crashed including the "stable" version. Also MG is having problems too.

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 April 2010, 03:21:51 »
The difference of GAE and megaglest is essentially the following:

The difference, I thought, was that GAE is an Engine, Megaglest is a game. Obviously if this were really the case there would be no problem, but Megaglest is clearly not trying to be just a game.

Megaglest trys to make "small" steps and trys to quickly reach stable releases, which are poolished and
player friendly. And it faces the content too, so people play it. Megaglest tries to be a game and beside
this people can see what they can do with the engine while playing it.

Small steps will only get you so far. If you want to make an engine people are going to choose over GAE, you going to need to add a lot a features. If you do this slowly, in small steps, 'tacking' things on without taking into account the bigger picture, your engine is going to be in a far worse state than GAE before too long.

For me there are too many features in GAE which are not well thought out, not finished and whatever.

I'd suggest most of them were better thought out than you credit them, not all, and many were/are unfinished, but because you think you can do it better is no reason to throw it all away. Some incomplete things are going to be removed, and any not so well thought out stuff will be looked at and fixed or replaced as appropriate.

For my opinion its a much better way to start with a stable thing again what I/we did with megaglest.

I completely disagree, GAE is getting more and more stable, new things are added, new bugs are introduced, that's life, if they get reported, they get found and fixed. This will be no different in megaglest.
GAE is, at least, intermittently refactored, to make the stuff added less crap, and to make planned new stuff easier to implement (ie, to implement in less crap ways to start with).

For me the best idea is to carefully bring good and stable things from GAE to megaglest or to reimplement them there and not to try to bring GAE to a good end.

While I wish you well, I think you are somewhat misguided, the way forward is to use the better base, and that is GAE.

Regarding crashing, all I have to say is "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs". If crashes are reported, they get fixed.

Long live the advanced engine!
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Fluffy203

« Reply #39 on: 11 April 2010, 04:15:04 »
viva la GAE  :thumbup:

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: 11 April 2010, 04:17:23 »
Long live the advanced engine!
Yeah, AND MG too...  ::)  :O
Small steps will only get you so far. If you want to make an engine people are going to choose over GAE, you going to need to add a lot a features. If you do this slowly, in small steps, 'tacking' things on without taking into account the bigger picture, your engine is going to be in a far worse state than GAE before too long.
True, but too slow is not too good either...  ::) Think of Original Glest, or rather Vanilla Glest, I guess...  :|

Now, this thread seems to fit more in the General Discussion board... since we are talking about MG AND GAE...  :|

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #41 on: 11 April 2010, 14:36:21 »
Ok, whatever, maybe Megaglest is the right way or GAE is the right way, we will see.
Lets all stay friends, help each other and stay one glest community. We all do this for fun!

Maybe some kind of competition is good for a faster glest development  in future ;)
By the way, we should really use the "Announcements" again. If GAE has to announce something in the future, just make a post in the forum and tell me that I should move it there.

( I move this to General Discussions now )
« Last Edit: 11 April 2010, 14:41:19 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 11 April 2010, 17:02:53 »
( I move this to General Discussions now )
Cool, you took my advice.  ::) :O

Ok, whatever, maybe Megaglest is the right way or GAE is the right way, we will see.
Lets all stay friends, help each other and stay one glest community. We all do this for fun!
Yep.  :)  :thumbup:

Maybe some kind of competition is good for a faster glest development  in future
I suppose.   ::) But GAE seems to be really slow...  ::) Wouldn't that be unfair...  :|
Now if original/vanilla Glest could...  ::) If it had the features of MG and/or GAE, surely Glest would be more....  ::)

Fluffy203

« Reply #43 on: 11 April 2010, 23:16:23 »
I just don't understand why their can't be a merger i mean really that would make it so much better , but then again i guess competition brings out the best of people so go at it , but so far i'm on GAE's Side and there are sides  :P

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 April 2010, 00:09:03 »
Working together would be best. That is what I wanted. Here is my opinion of the state of things:

#1 Titi and I tried to work with GAE a few months ago (I was looking at porting over stable network code and Titi was looking at porting new particle code). I cannot speak for Tit, but I tested GAE with my boys and we kept having crashes with GAE. I then proceeded to have my boys test GAE without multi-player and still it would crash after playing for 15-20 minutes. I am only working on this project as a desire of my children since they like to make content and play it. Since we tried numerous times to play GAE and it kept crashing for us we decided to go back to mega-glest (which as far as we were concerned was a new continuation of glest 3.2.2 which we knew was somewhat stable).

#2 Silnarm had mentioned in IRC that he would like to start working on mega-glest (we had a chat with him Titi and myself). At this time I thought things would work well since we would have experience glest coders from GAE working together with a stable code base. Yesterday we finally saw some posts in the forums as well as was confirmed in IRC that the GAE team desires to continue with GAE and they won't be very active in mega-glest.

At this point what would any of you do in the community if faced with the same situation? I don't care for "this is better than that" kind of discussions, I just want to work with something that doesn't crash for my boys (they know the Glest community far better than I do.. Elimnator, Tiger, Piggy and Monk). They use the software nearly every day and write models, scripts etc. they know what works and what doesn't work for them.

Thanks

Fluffy203

« Reply #45 on: 12 April 2010, 01:11:58 »
Thank you for that well explained example of how you tried to merge , I just don't get the crashing cause i seriously have not had it crash yet , well the newest one at all , but i mean previous versions i have , but this new version is very stable in my opinion and thank you for your contribution to the glest community  :thumbup:

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 12 April 2010, 01:13:18 »
Well, for me, GAE is pretty stable  ::) , (not sure will have to test again) (I found two problems with GAE, one after another...  :O ) (But uh, MG is like that too.)

At this point what would any of you do in the community if faced with the same situation? I don't care for "this is better than that" kind of discussions, I just want to work with something that doesn't crash for my boys (they know the Glest community far better than I do.. Elimnator, Tiger, Piggy and Monk). They use the software nearly every day and write models, scripts etc. they know what works and what doesn't work for them.
Agreed', this thread isn't even really for that.  :|

OT 1 : Ha, knew it bout piggy'
OT 2: Same for Monk
OT 3: Can you get Monk to post his winter faction? Thanks.

jda

« Reply #47 on: 12 April 2010, 10:49:49 »
Heck, the only time I had GAE crash was on 0.2.13-rc1 (as posted in the appropriate thread and I think it's been fixed (I haven't tried later releases yet)?). I've been using GAE since 0.2.11 or 0.2.12 (not sure now).
And it rocks. ;)

MG is good too, I like it. But I actually dislike the scripts that were made (at least for Linux) to call the actual binaries (makes it harder to have things organised as in "several Glest related engines" using basically the same data (or easily chosen which to use) and being called by similar user (myself) defined (written and placed) scripts. And that's not really user-friendly.
Man... can I abuse parentesis () sometimes... ;D

Now... I haven't coded anything other than DOS batch files and linux shell scripts in like some 18 or 19 years but...
Definitely... merging GAE and MG is most likely NOT that easy. As said several times, GAE did a lot of work under the hood... Just 'cause they look similar to you doesn't mean their codes are anything like that. :P
This said... it would be nice to have them merge (whishful thinking). But the competition has its pros too. ;)

Gabbe

« Reply #48 on: 13 April 2010, 15:47:24 »
MEGA GAE!  :)

but gae must 8 players! its a must!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 April 2010, 18:03:02 »
Wait, I is not yet? They should port the code.

anything