Author Topic: 0.2.13a  (Read 12373 times)

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
0.2.13a
« on: 18 April 2010, 07:58:06 »
0.2.13 is finally out, including 'debug' editions, probably mostly of interest to people developing scenarios.

0.2.13a
Windows
Debug Edition for Windows

0.2.13 - no binaries for 0.2.13a on 32 bit linux yet, please build from source
Linux (32 bit)
Debug Edition for Linux (32 bit)

0.2.13a
Linux (64 bit)

Source Tarball (0.2.13a)

Features:
+ Hierarchical path finding.
+ Lots of new Lua goodies, http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/wiki/LuaReference
   + All commands can be given from scripts now
   + Timers
   + Triggers
+ Titi's new AIs (easy & mega)
+ Multiplayer code was reverted to Glest 3.2.2

and other small items, see http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/query?group=status&milestone=0.2.13 for the full list.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2010, 10:48:00 by silnarm »
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Fluffy203

Re: 0.2.13
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2010, 16:15:19 »
Can't  wait for 3.0 =)  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2010, 19:26:35 »
Cool, will surely test.  :)  :thumbup:
Thanks.

jda

« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2010, 18:45:56 »
I didn't really get the time to test (nor follow the discussion on) 0.2.13 release candidates after 0.2.13-rc1 but the problems I found in rc1 are gone now!  :thumbup:
Details below:

<snip>

Bug report:
Map: Underwater World
Tileset: Evergreen
Player 1: Human Dwarves (modified since last release, all players using this same modified release) Team 1
Player 2: CPU Dwarves Team 2
Player 3: CPU Ultra Dwarves Team 3
Player 4: CPU Mega Dwarves Team 4
FoW ON (forgot to turn it off)
BUG: All my units starved to deatg athough I was producing food. After the last unit died (1 food consumption), I had 30 food production (+30) but 0/0 food. If I recall it correctly, it did not start that way, I did have food space (not 0).
That was actually a bug in the Dwarves faction, NOT in GAE!   :-[
The problem was that only the Stronghold (main building) stored food, the Farm, unlike Tech's, didn't; so once the last stronghold was destroyed there would be no place left to store the food in, even if you did still have a farm...  ::)

Crash report:
Exact same game configuration as above (BTW, I actually didn't think to look at the food space this time! Sorry. :( ). BUT FoW OFF in this case.
gae-crash.txt:
Code: [Select]
Crash
Version: Advanced Engine v0.2.13-rc1
Time: Fri Apr  2 17:01:57 2010
Description: SIGSEGV: address not mapped to object
Address: 0x437600d8
Backtrace:
./glestadv [0x81a93b2]
[0x734410]
./glestadv [0x818f175]
./glestadv [0x811267e]
./glestadv [0x8117ce4]
./glestadv [0x8118323]
./glestadv [0x818a0d0]
./glestadv [0x818a627]
./glestadv [0x816aef4]
./glestadv [0x8186fb7]
./glestadv [0x81897d3]
./glestadv [0x819f877]
./glestadv [0x80786e3]
./glestadv [0x80bde17]
./glestadv [0x80c0c00]
./glestadv [0x80c0e48]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x74bb56]
./glestadv [0x804f271]

=======================
EDIT: This crash happened little after I lost the game (all my units killed). I was testing something about the Dwarf faction AI, so I said "No" to end the game.
I tested this four times (just in case) and the issue did not happen again, so I guess it's probably fixed. :)  :thumbup:

Also, on and older issue, from 0.2.13-beta1, the g3d_viewer flickering on Linux has been fixed too. :)  :thumbup:

Thanks for the good work! 8)

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2010, 01:12:39 »
Nice. Silnarm has been working really hard on this. Good work.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2010, 02:42:34 »
AWESOMENESS! You rock Silnarm! ;D

Quick question, did you remove the ???'s from when the game cannot find the string so that we can have proper scenarios that can use things like "Hello "+usernamethingyfunction()?

I'll have fun testing! 8)
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2010, 08:47:31 »
Sorry, you'll still get the question marks...

I have something in mind though, so that the lng file strings can have 'variables' in them that can be set in Lua, for names etc.  Hopefully this will be sufficient?

Also I've added support for dialogue sequences now, the 'messages' appear on the left of the screen below the minimap, the 'actors' can be given colours, and dialogue from them is then rendered as,

Major Tom: You there! get over here.
Coporal Bill: Come on boys, you heard the cap'n.

I need to make a Lua 'framework' for it so its easier to use though (wrap up all the timers and callbacks), more details to follow :)

Timeline | Downloads

mjace72

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2010, 04:40:52 »
I read somewhere that if you have GAE, you can save your games, is this true?  If I download the GAE, where does it go once installed?  Somewhere in your Glest or Megaglest folder in your program files?

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2010, 05:59:43 »
I don't think that works yet... It didn't for us at least.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2010, 08:05:36 »
I read somewhere that if you have GAE, you can save your games, is this true?  If I download the GAE, where does it go once installed?  Somewhere in your Glest or Megaglest folder in your program files?
Well, it should work...It basically worked when I was testing using the RC...  ::)
I do not know where it saves, but probably just in your GAE main folder...  :|
EDIT: Nevermind, there is a folder for it....unless...I guess if it just doesn't work.  ::) I haven't tested it yet...  ::)  :P should be something like that  ::)

I'll have fun testing! 8)
Update Military.  :thumbup:  ::)  :O

jda

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2010, 08:10:36 »
The savegames feature does work on GAE 0.2.13. It was implemented in 0.2.12a (I think) and removed in 0.2.12b because of a bug (with scripted scenarios I think). It's been fixed and recovered in 0.2.13.
Check GAE tracker ticket 81: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/ticket/81 (fix or re-implement save game).
EDIT: To use, press the Z key during a game; a dialog will pop up asking you for the filename to give to it (it will be saved in the folder ultifd specified). To load the game back choose "Load Game" from the main menu. ;)

As for installation:
Hi Dritominous,

It's a 'side-by-side' install, you need to extract the contents of the zip into your Glest installation directory.

There is an installer for 0.2.12b, but it's all the same data as regular Glest, so if you have Glest installed already, just extract the zip there.

Cheers.

Edit: Sorry, you also need to give the executable administrative rights...

Oh, OK.  Thanks!

BTW, does it only work with the original glest, or can I use the megaglest directory?  (I doesn't really matter, but I'm just curious)
I think that would work ok, but haven't actually tried it myself.

EDIT: There is a detail about scenarios...
In Glest (and I think in MegaGlest too), they're saved in folder "scenarios". In GAE, they're saved in gae/scenarios/category .
So, not only will the scenarios be loaded from a different directory, you'll have to stick them in some further down subfolder which will be used as a category name when presented the "Choose scenario" dialog ingame.
Two such categories/folders are included in the default GAE installation: glest_classic and glest_tutorials. ;)
I have a script to update GAE's scenarios folders automatically (from the original Glest ones) but I can't post it now, have to run, will do it later. Cheers!

EDIT #2: The said script (or kinda) can be found here: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5390.msg47945#msg47945

Have fun! :)
« Last Edit: 4 May 2010, 23:05:38 by jda »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2010, 16:37:15 »
Sorry, you'll still get the question marks...

I have something in mind though, so that the lng file strings can have 'variables' in them that can be set in Lua, for names etc.  Hopefully this will be sufficient?

Also I've added support for dialogue sequences now, the 'messages' appear on the left of the screen below the minimap, the 'actors' can be given colours, and dialogue from them is then rendered as,

Major Tom: You there! get over here.
Coporal Bill: Come on boys, you heard the cap'n.

I need to make a Lua 'framework' for it so its easier to use though (wrap up all the timers and callbacks), more details to follow :)
I guess that might do for the question marks, but is it really still needed? Getting rid of them is as simple as 1,2,3. Would give you more time to program cooler things than a dialogue variable system... :O And the messages thing... AWESOME. Can we also expect to be able to use color (and possibly formating) in messages in the near(ish) future? Such as similar to bbc, it could parse for things that allow formating.

Example:
This is my string [color=#f00]This is red![/color]. [b]This is bold[/b]OR
This is my string \C[#f00]This is red!\C[#fff]. \BThis is bold\B

In other news, when trying to make water units, there's been a big bug noticed! I've quoted my post from the military topic below:

OK: Results of testing with Water units (contains bug, please read Silnarm!)

-Lua generator placed 'any_water' units perfectly
-Battleships were flawless
-If dock is within 3(ish) cells of water, it produces battleships perfectly in the water.
-MAJOR BUG: Worker cannot build a unit in water because it isn't able to. The land is stated as 'unsuitable' for building (aka: invalid position), despite the fact that it has only one field: 'any_water'.
-ANOTHER MAJOR BUG: Despite having only 'any_water' as a field, the worker can still only build the dock on land (though if its built close to the water (with 3ish cells), it works fine). Lua doesn't ever do this. Must be a bug with building (since buildings are generally only built on land, it may be default? Needs to be fixed).

Dock works fine otherwise, but those two bugs really hinder developement (especially for the AI).

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2010, 19:43:57 »
Speaking of fields, cross-post time:

I just changed Magic's Mage Tower to the air field, and it produces ground-based Initiates like always.  The only problem I'm seeing so far is that the Initiates can't return their harvested resources to the flying building.  I'm going to test it again with flying Initiates.  If only my Glest would run at faster than 1 frame per second, this would be a lot easier. *sigh*

Edit: I tested with flying Initiates and flying Mage Tower.  Initiates repaired the Mage Tower just fine.  They also harvested wood successfully, but could not return the resources to the Mage Tower.  They also successfully built and repaired a Summoner's Guild, but would not auto-repair it.  They also returned wood to the Summoner's Guild.  This was on GAE 0.2.13.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2010, 19:47:04 by John.d.h »

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2010, 09:20:39 »
Thanks guys, will look into these and hopefully get them all fixed up on the weekend.

Timeline | Downloads

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2010, 14:15:34 »
Ok, I think we've got them all, I'm going to do the release candidate thing again though, just in case I broke something (wouldn't be the first time ;) )

Windows (exe only),
http://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/files/0.2.13a/glestae_0.2.13a-rc.7z/download

Linux (source tarball),
http://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/files/0.2.13a/glestae-source-0.2.13a-rc.tar.bz2/download

The problems with building/harvesting in water/air fields should be solved, some unreported problems with size 2+ workers have also been fixed, feedback/testing as always would be appreciated.

The AI bug with certain factions not producing workers that can harvest only (no build/repair skills) has been fixed too (kudos jda! :thumbup:)

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2010, 15:42:27 »
Excelent! Does this include the debug edition? I truly love that since I'm using it for all testing now (beats having to spend forever making units when I can lua it :))

Also, I discovered something else that may or may not be a bug: The battleship's select (ie: the green circle showing their HP/EP) is at the very bottom of the water, rather than on the surface where the model is. This makes it tricky to click for some reason (easier if you drag select) as well as makes it look kinda "wonky" since the circle is misaligned with the actual model.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2010, 00:10:58 »
Excelent! Does this include the debug edition? I truly love that since I'm using it for all testing now (beats having to spend forever making units when I can lua it :))

No debug editions yet, but given the bug fixes made (mostly related to building/harvesting in Fields other than land) it probably would have made more sense ...

Also, I discovered something else that may or may not be a bug: The battleship's select (ie: the green circle showing their HP/EP) is at the very bottom of the water, rather than on the surface where the model is. This makes it tricky to click for some reason (easier if you drag select) as well as makes it look kinda "wonky" since the circle is misaligned with the actual model.

That'd be a bug, one I should've noticed by now... will fix.

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2010, 04:08:17 »

No debug editions yet, but given the bug fixes made (mostly related to building/harvesting in Fields other than land) it probably would have made more sense ...

That'd be a bug, one I should've noticed by now... will fix.

Again, excelent! I am anxious to see these water units in full function!

Cheers!

jda

« Reply #18 on: 2 June 2010, 12:57:44 »
I compiled from source on linux 32bit but... I used good ol':
./autogen_pkg.sh
./configure
jam
And I just now incidentally looked at the Compile Guide at sourceforge.net...
Erm... should we use CMake now instead?...  :look:
And... does that mean the crash report I sent to the glestae-devel list is like... kinda ... pointless? Should I update that thread on the mailing list to state how I compiled it?  :look:

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2 June 2010, 23:17:01 »
No, the Compile Guide is just for svn trunk. There's no CMake in the 0.2.x branch. You did everything right.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: 0.2.13a
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2010, 09:20:22 »
0.2.13a is now available, links on first post updated.

This is a bugfix release which resolves the following items,
  • The Ai problem not building certain worker types (thanks Jda!)
  • The Ai bugs recently discovered by the Megaglest team
  • Harvesters could only return resources to stores in the Land field
  • Water units couldn't be built on water
  • Workers with size > 1 had several problems with harvesting, building and repairing
  • Emanations without a damage type were crashing multiplayer
  • Walls were counted as buildings, forcing you to destroy them all before 'winning'
  • The <attack-notice> tag in faction xml was not functional
  • The building preview (when placing buildings) was drawn offset by half a cell
« Last Edit: 14 June 2010, 10:58:35 by silnarm »

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2010, 00:46:56 »
Thank you so much silnarm!

I will commence testing on military and hope to let you know how it goes soon! Water units as a normal part of military, here we come!

//EDIT: You stated you fixed the <attack-noticed> tag, but I am unable to get it to work. Perhaps I have the wrong syntax? I used an old syntax stated on the wiki. Here's the code:
   <attack-notice enabled="true" min-delay="30"/>
        <sound-file path="sound/attacked1.ogg"/>
        <sound-file path="sound/attacked2.ogg"/>
        <sound-file path="sound/attacked3.ogg"/>
        <sound-file path="sound/attacked4.ogg"/>
    </attack-notice>

It simply gives an error saying:
15: Frame: 0 timestamp: 74214573 :: Launching game, sending launch message(s)
16: XML Error in techs/military/factions/military/military.xml:
 File missing or wrongly named.
18: Frame: 0 timestamp: 74216849 :: aborting game

I know the file exists and have double checked all the names.

A few things that could possibly be affecting it:
-The files are ogg, though glest has no trouble with music being ogg, so I doubt this is a problem
-The files are longer than most "sound effects" being roughly 4-7 seconds each.

Sooo stupid. I accidently had the tag closed (note the slash at the end). Anway, I tested it in military (and redid most of the sounds while I was at it. Works excelently! Thanks so much for that. Does the other tag in the faction XML regarding sounds (can't remember what it's called, or what it does)...
« Last Edit: 15 June 2010, 05:22:22 by Omega »

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 June 2010, 11:47:30 »
Thank you so much silnarm!
:thumbup: No worries :)

Does the other tag in the faction XML regarding sounds (can't remember what it's called, or what it does)...

No, <enemy-notice> is still not functional yet, maybe in 0.3 ;)

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: 15 June 2010, 18:47:47 »
Ok, all works except the AI doesn't build docks. I had no problem building them, and was using a custom map with a large lake in the middle where all players border that lake. The AI was definately close enough, but I (if I had to take a guess) think the problem would be that the AI could only build on land still? They did fine when provided with a dock via lua.

Other than that, 3 hours of testing showed flawless results and no known bugs. Great job.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #24 on: 16 June 2010, 08:44:20 »
Excellent, I can put the emanations back on now and building things like walls precisely should be much easier now.