Author Topic: Malevolent Rising - Remake  (Read 110978 times)

Gabbe

Re: Malevolent Rising v0.7/v1.0 -TC Project
« Reply #125 on: 13 June 2010, 10:48:54 »
chup, this is your first mod right? it looks pretty damn awesome!  :thumbup:

ChupaReaper

« Reply #126 on: 13 June 2010, 11:33:41 »
Thanks, yep first Glest project I'm just about brand new to Glest, its easy to pick up and fun to mod!

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #127 on: 15 June 2010, 05:13:02 »
Yeah, I am pretty sure it will  be awesome...  ::)  :O
All I need to do is figure why I can not access your site.
Hmm...one day, when you release it, and if you not using a upload site to host your mod...then I guess I will be in trouble...
hmm.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #128 on: 15 June 2010, 09:06:13 »
If you not already know it, maybe this helps you with the ground textures and the visible repetitions:
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4764.msg33686#msg33686
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ChupaReaper

« Reply #129 on: 15 June 2010, 10:37:52 »
Interesting tutorial, same problem though, I can make the tiles tileable but there's still some repetition going on. It would be better if we could use stuff like 128x128 textures or any that are powers of 2, these textures wouldn't be scaled down to 64x64 in game though, so we can then make megatextures which don't tile as often and are thus not as noticeable, I think I'll request this though it may have been already before.
And about uploading my project, I'll be using a few upload sites, zShare has always been ok, but I'm willing to upload elsewhere if people think it's better.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #130 on: 15 June 2010, 11:13:09 »
You must create several tiles from one tile. This base tile must not have any obvious things on its border. The result will be a bunch of textures which look different but are tilable one to another and you don't see these problems any more. If you only use one tile you will always see this problem.

Regarding the textures sizes in general, the problem is how glest does terrain splatting. Its all done quite manually in the cpu and not using openGL technics for terrain splatting, using several textures and alpha filters ( like I did here
Code: [Select]
http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=12729.0)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:31:34 by filux »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ChupaReaper

« Reply #131 on: 15 June 2010, 20:50:32 »
Well the tiles I've got looks ok not too repetitive but the border is too obvious creating for of a grid effect rather than a recurring pattern, I'll go through all the textures and randomize them a bit more at some point.
No update yet, more outside stuff but the demons are coming, so far Ive done 3/4 imps, haven't done the last one because I still need to install the Doom 3 Expansion lmao: Impling, Imp and Maggot all done fully working, just got the Vulgar to do.
I've also gone and removed the health regeneration of a load of units as it was making them all too strong, now only 'mega units' have regen so now it takes around 10 Satyrs Spulpiercers to kill one Corpseress which is balanced well as Satyr Soulpiercers cost 100 wealth to produce and corpseress cost 1000.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 16 June 2010, 03:15:20 »
Is this mod being made? Should I add it to the factions download center as in progress?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #133 on: 16 June 2010, 04:19:05 »
Elim, maybe you haven't been keeping track, but this is practically the top mod on the block, I think there are quite a few pics that display quality progress. I would definitely put this in the list. :)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 16 June 2010, 04:19:52 »
OK, will do.  :)

ChupaReaper

« Reply #135 on: 16 June 2010, 08:23:20 »
Yep, definitely being made lol! Just got the Demons to go through, some tweaks and one more tileset and this mod will go from In Progress to Complete but with a lot of further development as I work on more factions.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #136 on: 17 June 2010, 22:22:23 »
Update to v0.7.1! Imps are in the house! Alongside their fellow zombie chums they become a nasty pest as when the zombies are all shot down the imps are still there throwing demonic fire about the place! The imps are unlocked through upgrades and cost with the same convention as the zombies only more on the satyr side this time.
Here's an ImageShack screenshot (quite large thus put in a spoiler to not spam your screen!)
(click to show/hide)

I've added some more emanations, I'll also look into adding some effect spells to the mega units (so far we have Shade, Collector, Wreekendier, Phantom, Ghoul, Reaver and Corpseress, mega demons are coming up, *cough of DooM* cyberdemon, spider mastermind...!). Mega units don't have EP as that is only going to be for hero units which I will eventually add using a parent child relationship from the main city unit thus only one hero unit at a time and if your city is destroyed you have a severe loss. Hero units will be added much, much later though.

The new GAE update makes building walls pretty awesome now and though untested hopefully the fix for emanations means network games will work, I tend to build two layers of wall as it centres nicely into the gatehouses, I may also introduce thick walls with are basically 2x2 sized walls with 4x the health of a standard wall (1000, so 400 for thick walls), these are quicker to build and easier to maintain but if they're destroyed it leaves a bigger gap in your defence big big nasty units like shades to pop through and smash stuff fast.

Summary:
  • 4/21 Demonic Units complete.
  • Possible thick walls and mega unit effects planned.
  • Everything else ready.
  • Just thought I'd try out the bullet points :P!
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:31:56 by filux »

Gabbe

« Reply #137 on: 17 June 2010, 22:26:26 »
you know, i think you have bypassed the stage were feedback is necessary, your awesome and you know it.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #138 on: 17 June 2010, 22:51:49 »
you know, i think you have bypassed the stage were feedback is necessary, your awesome and you know it.

Well yeah... Nah I wouldn't go that far lol, there'll probably be quite a few issues to deal with once it's out for balancing, etc and this may not be a one man project forever, might get some people (if they want to of course) to help out with the next faction and maps. I wanted the first faction to set the standards of this project so other people who may join this project know what to go for. Still a bit to do yet, I think I may start with the Bruiser next (based on Doom 3 hell knight), then Behemoth (from a Doom 3 mod giving the hell knight horns, etc, credit will be listed) and the Cyberdemon, which shall be renamed as I'm changing all the metal and wires into bone and flesh.
So there's a slight difference going on already as the Necro eqivilants are weaker but are also cheaper and work differently. So this matches what I aim for, Necro = Speed, Demonic = Power.

ChupaReaper

Update: v0.7.2
« Reply #139 on: 18 June 2010, 10:23:17 »
Another update, some fast production going on as most of the work has already been done from my last project just converting things across.
We now have Bruiser and Behemoth, both are ranged units but with melee armour making them weak against other ranged units but very good against melee units, perfect for the battleground for shooting down large melee units further back taking on attacks from weaker no so important melee units.
(click to show/hide)
Doom 3 people will recognise these straight away!
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:32:21 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: Malevolent Rising v0.7.2/v1.0 -TC Project
« Reply #140 on: 18 June 2010, 15:53:58 »
Your models look very good. and have good textures but there kind of dark in contrast to the red...

wyvern

« Reply #141 on: 18 June 2010, 15:56:31 »
COOL :o :o, still I don't get why all the units are of an evil style

ChupaReaper

« Reply #142 on: 18 June 2010, 18:27:34 »
The tileset I'm using has dark lighting to it that's why they're quite dark, I should really brighten it more but with mostly red lighting; if they're still too dark for people I'll lighten the textures up though (easily done by altering the brightness/contrast).
The evil style is because its an 'evil' looking faction ran by Werewolves and Satyrs, the next faction will be quite the opposite being run by Angels and Jotun (half giants) being all white marble and icy.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2010, 18:30:25 by ChupaReaper »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #143 on: 18 June 2010, 19:45:34 »
Great progress! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The quality of those models and textures is through the roof! :o :o :o

I like the dark contrast, give a dark, and eerie feel to the game. ;) :scientist:
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Gabbe

« Reply #144 on: 18 June 2010, 22:13:51 »
Jotun* if thats from viking scandinavian, it means types of orc or headens, it is evil gods who oppose the good gods of viking myth. Not quite bright i think.

ChupaReaper

Update: v0.7.3
« Reply #145 on: 19 June 2010, 01:34:00 »
Jotun from Jötunn of norse mythology, the Jötunn were giants, so I adopted the more English translation Jotun for the name of the half giants. Here's the wiki!

Another update:
(click to show/hide)
That is the Doom 3 Cyberdemon, only I couldn't have it cyber so I had to retexture it and because Doom 3 doesn't have death animations I had to animate on for it (have done that for all doom 3 models so far lol). The texture is completely new by me mixing some other textures I have making it flesh and bone rather than metal.

Trites, Arachnotron and Asmodeus (Doom Spider Mastermind) are next, and the models include the doom 3 spider mastermind which I had working in doom 3 for the first time ever, but that project is very unfinished youtube video, I'm waiting for a better engine than doom 3 as it's a bit scrappy for me (files here there and everywhere with it).
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:32:45 by filux »

Gabbe

Re: Malevolent Rising v0.7.3/v1.0 -TC Project
« Reply #146 on: 19 June 2010, 09:38:40 »
I suggest this to get a sticky status, it looks even more thought through than DM

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/312341

might wanan check this model out...yo9u already use doom 3 models, why not this huh?

Seriously, jotuns were evils from the evil lands across mountains and forests and stuff, i live in Norway and i know this stuff, srsly they are evil. not good.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2010, 16:43:38 by HyperCube »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #147 on: 19 June 2010, 18:26:15 »
I suggest this to get a sticky status, it looks even more thought through than DM
Not more, equal...
Hmm, so many good threads/mods, but then our stickies will be...too much?  :|
Cool...ChupaReaper...nice.  :thumbup: Looks awesome.
I guess now I will just use a proxy to access your site...for now.  :(

Gabbe

« Reply #148 on: 19 June 2010, 18:37:32 »
but this one stand out from the rest...

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #149 on: 19 June 2010, 18:40:53 »
Cause part of the models and such aren't really his? No offense, most are...I am pretty sure.  :thumbup:
Hmm...the !! part of your username caused the forum to have a extra line of space...  :( oh well.