Author Topic: Malevolent Rising - Remake  (Read 110979 times)

ChupaReaper

Re: Malevolent Rising v0.7.6/v1.0 -TC Project
« Reply #175 on: 24 June 2010, 22:53:30 »
Yeah, basically what I meant.

Anyways, you said in another thread that you are going to upload a version, 1.0 I think, soon...
Cool,  :thumbup:  :)

Hopefully this week if not next week, got little left to make for the first fifth of my project (got four more factions on the horizon lol) 0.8.x is just a quick clean up, 0.9.x are some final tweaks and testing and then v1.0 is for people to download play and then criticise lol cause I can see there'll be a lot to work on still.

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Malevolent Rising v0.7.6/v1.0 -TC Project
« Reply #176 on: 24 June 2010, 23:40:16 »
I see, well, I can't wait.
Something new...  :O  :thumbup:
Good Luck.

ChupaReaper

Malevolent Rising Update: v0.7.7
« Reply #177 on: 27 June 2010, 12:13:43 »
This is the last v0.7.x update as the next update will feature the last two units to be added; Archvile and Apollyon.
Here we have little Torodemon, they're actually quite big but next to a Kathoga they look tiny. Doom 3 people will recognize the Kathoga as the Hell Guardian, no seekers though.
(click to show/hide)

v0.8 coming next with all Demonic units added and well, all units all together added in and ready fact.
v0.9 will be very quick as it is a final testing phase (one or two games played using both subfactions against each other and then maybe a normal match with some people.) Then v1.0 the first release... Give it a few days, should be out very soon.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 09:02:16 by filux »

ChupaReaper

Malevolent Rising Update: v0.8
« Reply #178 on: 28 June 2010, 00:31:47 »
(click to show/hide)
That's the last of the demons done which means I'm next to finished, well, I've still a lot to do but the first faction can go online very soon along with some tilesets and a nice new menu! Just remember it's a total conversion, so though it could be altered to balance with Glest it isn't really Glest just using the GAE as, well an engine lol!
v0.9 will be my final testing phase after that it goes online but before this I've one tileset left to do, I've got Nature which is an altered version of the original Glest forest tileset and Demonic which is very different, but now I need to complete the Necro tileset which brings the game into the Spectral Realm.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 09:02:40 by filux »

wyvern

Re: Malevolent Rising v0.8/v1.0 -Coming very soon!!!
« Reply #179 on: 28 June 2010, 00:37:50 »
I can't wait ;D ;D ;D

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #180 on: 28 June 2010, 10:15:42 »
You always said its a full conversion, so will it come as a full install?

And if so, will there be a linux/Mac version too?
If it should work in Linux/Mac too, just a warning:
All new mods made by Windows people had problems with  Cassensitivity. In windows it doesn't matter, in linux it does!
Here is an example of a typical problem:
lets say you have a modle called model.g3d. In the model is a reference to its texture called "model.tga". Linux/MacOS and everything else requires the "model.tga" to be called "model.tga". Only in windows "Model.tga" with upcase letter at the beginning works too.
Its best if you only use lower case identifiers So you will not have any trouble. If you already have this problem and there are lots of names to fix, you can ask a linux guy to help you. There is a script which can fix it and the result will be crossplatform ready (look here: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=3492.msg19106#msg19106 )

What about team colors? Judging from your screenshots everything is textured very dark. Can you still see the teamcolors in every model?
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ChupaReaper

« Reply #181 on: 28 June 2010, 10:32:38 »
You always said its a full conversion, so will it come as a full install?

And if so, will there be a linux/Mac version too?
If it should work in Linux/Mac too, just a warning:
All new mods made by Windows people had problems with  Cassensitivity. In windows it doesn't matter, in linux it does!
Here is an example of a typical problem:
lets say you have a modle called model.g3d. In the model is a reference to its texture called "model.tga". Linux/MacOS and everything else requires the "model.tga" to be called "model.tga". Only in windows "Model.tga" with upcase letter at the beginning works too.
Its best if you only use lower case identifiers So you will not have any trouble. If you already have this problem and there are lots of names to fix, you can ask a linux guy to help you. There is a script which can fix it and the result will be crossplatform ready (look here: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=3492.msg19106#msg19106 )

What about team colors? Judging from your screenshots everything is textured very dark. Can you still see the teamcolors in every model?

Hmm I never thought about Mac/Linux, well installing under them should be simple enough saying as the only tiny mod I've done to GAE.exe is change the icon for it lol. I have written everything is lower case as I'm a bit of a perfectionist there, I hate file extensions in capitals for example lol so it has all been setup as if case sensitive (I thought GAE was anyway lol).
I'll add instruction onto my website for installing with different versions but hoping that the linux and mac versions have the same layout for where the mod files go all you have to do is replace the windows GAE (called MRise.exe in the pack) with the linux/mac version of GAE and it should run fine.
Can someone tell me any differences between each platform of GAE (mainly directory structures). Case sensitive-wise all should be fine.

As for team colours, they're gonna be looked over during the super testing of v0.9, same for the darkness in the demonic tileset. Most of the team colours blend in to the rest of the model's texture but put next to one of a different colour and you'll notice the difference on most models but some need adjustments and I thnk there're a couple with none at all. Team colours are usually visible on the head such as hair (werewolves) horns (lots of things) or the top of the head (imps, archviles).

Edit: I've downloaded linux 32 and 64 versions of GAE and packed them in, not sure whether they work or not though. Is the zlib.dict file found in I think core\ the same for different platforms?
« Last Edit: 28 June 2010, 10:46:53 by ChupaReaper »

ChupaReaper

Malevolent Rising Update v0.9
« Reply #182 on: 29 June 2010, 00:35:49 »
(click to show/hide)

There's the new Necro Tileset, firstly along with the Demonic tileset I have increased the lighting a lot, however I have added fog. The Necro tileset is based in the spectral realm with strange ambient sounds and a dark atmosphere, the black fog makes it look dark but without making it too dark to play in. The Demonic tileset now has red fog and lighter lights so units are much clearer now but things fade to red in the distance giving it a hotter look.

Now at v0.9 I've some final things to check such as unit team colours and the wealth costs of some units. Then v1.0, could be up for download later today (it's 1:30am where I am btw lol) or tomorrow...
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 09:03:09 by filux »

ChupaReaper

Released! Malevolent Rising Update: v1.0
« Reply #183 on: 29 June 2010, 21:42:47 »
Finally ready to go! This project is no where near complete, it is now at the stage where feedback is important and also there is the second faction waiting to start.
It is still uploading at the minute, 12% so far, should be maybe an hour... *sigh* lol, it weighs around 500 megs, not small at all and its in 7zip format, I've made an .msi windows installer which I will upload later, what I'm uploading now will work with all platforms just replace the mrise.exe with the relevant gae.exe program, I've included the latest versions of gae for linux 32 and 64 bit and their zlib.dict files in case they're relevant. More detailed instructions are all on the download page.
Code: [Select]
[url=http://darkspectral.zxq.net/Games/MRiseReleases.html]Here's a link to the download page for MRise.[/url]
Some last things to mention:
  • Don't judge my maps, there're still basic and the scrappy, more for testing. You can make your own maps of course just remember to give players a lot of space compared to Glest, though you can limit them. I recommend 128x128 for a good map with average space. Canyon was only a 256x256 map but it crashed when I tried to load it so I increased it to 512x512 adding some minor detail to the new land, it is far from complete.
  • Tilesets aren't perfect yet either, such as the demonic tileset is missing plants, etc.
  • It's a big demanding project and I have a powerful system so I'm not sure how fast it will run.
  • The AI is pants! But they sometimes cause some trouble, especially with fog of war on. This is aimed mostly at network games.
  • Scenarios and tutorials are included so there are basic Glest ones as place holders for now, I will work on these but much later, scheduled to start at v5.x!
  • There is a lot of unit balancing to do, so please if you have any suggestions or problems post away like this:
    Unit Name:
    Problems...
    Suggestions...
    As for none unit stuff just post.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 09:03:34 by filux »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Malevolent Rising v1.0 -First release!
« Reply #184 on: 29 June 2010, 21:46:38 »
Hmm, cool, can't wait for it to finish...although at first I thought there was a download, oh well, I got patience...
thanks.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #185 on: 29 June 2010, 21:58:49 »
Sorry lol, I was gonna put uploading in the topic title but it would mean having to change it again, etc and the net is really laggy with the uploading lol. 19%

wyvern

« Reply #186 on: 29 June 2010, 23:41:40 »
Can't wait till the release...uploadings taking a long time I suppose...

ChupaReaper

Re: Malevolent Rising v1.0 -Download Now!
« Reply #187 on: 29 June 2010, 23:53:20 »
Yep took over an hour but, it's up! Not sure how long it'll take yous to download shouldn't be over an hour though I hope lol, around 500mb...
Go to the releases page for info on how to install it and for the links or use this link now:
Code: [Select]
[size=14pt][url=http://www.zshare.net/download/77795715d5e79122/]DOWNLOAD![/url][/size]
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 09:03:58 by filux »

wyvern

« Reply #188 on: 29 June 2010, 23:55:38 »
Downloading, boy am I excited ;D ;D, sure hope its good

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #189 on: 29 June 2010, 23:59:14 »
Ugh, tell me something...if you extract it, is it all the files? Well how big is that...
I think I might as wait for a installer...
Thanks anyways...

So big...  :|

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #190 on: 30 June 2010, 00:00:12 »
On a scale of 1-10 would you say the tilesets are at an 8.5 completion rating?

Please include licensing information - people get very touchy about this sort of thing and the sooner we know.. the better.

http://creativecommons.org/choose/

wyvern

« Reply #191 on: 30 June 2010, 00:01:42 »
I'll have to postpone the download, maybe, its huge, its gonna take me over and hour to download...

ChupaReaper

« Reply #192 on: 30 June 2010, 00:12:17 »
Ugh, tell me something...if you extract it, is it all the files? Well how big is that...
I think I might as wait for a installer...
Thanks anyways...

So big...  :|

The 7zip has all the files in it, the installer is slightly larger as it has all the files too but installs them for you and puts it in your registry so that updating with patches is easier. But overall it extracts to around a gig, but doesn't take too long to extract, it's downloading that's the hard part.
Also, I've included the docs directory which has the licensing in it.

With 7zip I've just about halved its size lol, but can't have good quality images, sounds and good quantity without the horrible size trade-off.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #193 on: 30 June 2010, 00:16:14 »
OK, the license is in the big download...   ::)
I see, and with a total of 4 (???) factions, the compressed installer will be like 2 gigs...right?  :|
It will probably take a little bit over a hour...or more .  :( Thanks though, HQ for the win I guess.  :O

ChupaReaper

« Reply #194 on: 30 June 2010, 10:23:17 »
OK, the license is in the big download...   ::)
I see, and with a total of 4 (???) factions, the compressed installer will be like 2 gigs...right?  :|
It will probably take a little bit over a hour...or more .  :( Thanks though, HQ for the win I guess.  :O

There's only one faction so far, and it doens't take long to extract at all, a minute or so, it's just downloading that is slow.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #195 on: 1 July 2010, 06:11:38 »
^
I see.
Hmm I tried to download it will take at least 1 hour and 45 minutes or so or to two hours...so I was wrong, now is not a good time...

wyvern

« Reply #196 on: 2 July 2010, 01:03:37 »
Yeah same here, I wish it downloaded faster :| :|

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #197 on: 2 July 2010, 20:46:50 »
I have a nice speedy internet connection as my Dad's, I'll download it there, and test it out. I'll only be able to do Linux gameplay unless my Dad fixed my laptop.

Here's some suggestions for something to do with your final version:

-Have a lower detailed version.
(For people with slow internet connections, and for people with not-so-great graphics cards)
-Upload it in parts.
(I suggest 3-5 parts, first few parts would be the essential files like the faction, and the tileset(s) and maps, and other data folders, last part would be unnecessary stuff like extra maps, tilesets, or whatever)
-Maybe get a torrent thing going...

Depending on how much time I have and what I end up doing, I could split this into multiple parts for you, if you want?
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Gabbe

« Reply #198 on: 3 July 2010, 10:24:05 »
20 minutes at 300 KBps

more splitting and merging arch?  ::) :O

I think it is finally time for glest to get some good projects with good graphics and stuff, keep it up Chup!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #199 on: 3 July 2010, 11:46:36 »
Splitting it up sounds like a good idea and a low res version is good too so long as it will be compatible with hi res versions during network games, I'll make the low res version once I've released a final version as it'll be hard to keep track of it otherwise. I would torrent it but other people in the house need the internet too as torrents really affect streaming videos and online games.
For the final version I'd split it up into pieces having the main game setup containing just the menu files and the GAE files, then a tileset pack, map pack and faction packs would be uploaded to plug in to it, I'd release low res versions of each faction as I fully complete them. This way you would need at least the main pack, map pack and tileset pack (which wouldn't be too large maybe they would be put together depending on their filesize), then you would need at least one faction for it the play, other factions would be downloaded optionally however other people may have different factions so you'd need to keep check of what factions you have and how up to date they are, I'd find a way to make it easy to keep track introducing a version.txt file for each pack and my website would say which versions go together, etc.
« Last Edit: 3 July 2010, 11:50:49 by ChupaReaper »