Author Topic: Malevolent Rising - Remake  (Read 110976 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Malevolent Rising v1.0 -Download Now!
« Reply #200 on: 3 July 2010, 13:11:32 »
Splitting it up sounds like a good idea and a low res version is good too so long as it will be compatible with hi res versions during network games, I'll make the low res version once I've released a final version as it'll be hard to keep track of it otherwise. I would torrent it but other people in the house need the internet too as torrents really affect streaming videos and online games.
For the final version I'd split it up into pieces having the main game setup containing just the menu files and the GAE files, then a tileset pack, map pack and faction packs would be uploaded to plug in to it, I'd release low res versions of each faction as I fully complete them. This way you would need at least the main pack, map pack and tileset pack (which wouldn't be too large maybe they would be put together depending on their filesize), then you would need at least one faction for it the play, other factions would be downloaded optionally however other people may have different factions so you'd need to keep check of what factions you have and how up to date they are, I'd find a way to make it easy to keep track introducing a version.txt file for each pack and my website would say which versions go together, etc.

Sound good. :thumbup:

Just lower texture sizes and maybe reduce some polygons and frames, after that it should still be multiplayer compatible(i think, but I think you should ask Silnarm about that ;)).
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Gabbe

« Reply #201 on: 3 July 2010, 13:52:39 »
The faction can still be played in MG?

ChupaReaper

« Reply #202 on: 4 July 2010, 11:32:19 »
The faction uses a ton of GAE features such as subfactions, emanations, effects and more.

Gabbe

« Reply #203 on: 5 July 2010, 15:38:32 »
Okay, ım gonna try download here ın turkey...

ChupaReaper

« Reply #204 on: 5 July 2010, 21:31:26 »
Okay, ım gonna try download here ın turkey...
Awesome, hope it downloads ok.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 5 July 2010, 23:34:07 »
Sticky for a week or so.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #206 on: 6 July 2010, 04:09:49 »
Well, I'm at my grandma's for a week, and got access to hi speed internet, so I'll download this tonight! :)

Ugh, I really hate the site you upload to though! Please consider using Filefront for all glest downloads, since the glest community has an account there. I've PMed you the name and password. It allows up to 600MB per file, and you can upload larger files by contacting them from the info on the upload screen (since the contact email is ftp@filefront.com, I assume they have an FTP upload method, which is easy and convenient).

Why should you care? Because nobody likes a download site that makes you wait to download (could be worse though... Could be rapidshare  >:(). Also, filefront's servers are very fast... :thumbup:
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #207 on: 6 July 2010, 05:24:47 »
And the ad problem too...a lot of advertisements at that site he chose.
Anyways, still trying to find the time...  :| time, time, time.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #208 on: 6 July 2010, 10:21:34 »
Ok, I'm uploading to FileFront onto the Glest account, also I've done a tiny split:
MRise_v1.0_Core.7z -Around 50mb, contains core files, menu files, gae, resources, tilesets, maps, the lot except factions really.
MRise_v1.0_Necribus.72 -The big one around 500mb still, contains the Necribus faction, you need the core files first.

To install:
  • Very easy, just make a directory called "Malevolent Rising" anywhere like in Program Files then extract the Core files into this directory (don't just extract into Program Files because there'll be a big mess!)
  • To add a faction just extract that into the Malevolent Rising directory as the techs\mrise\factions directories are included in the 7zip.

Edit: Core files have been uploaded, I'm going to upload the faction later today. The releases page on my website has been updated and here's the direct link for the core files.
« Last Edit: 6 July 2010, 10:48:29 by ChupaReaper »

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 6 July 2010, 15:57:09 »
Well, I got a successful download on the third attempt :)  The inability to resume broken downloads is a killer with such a big package (and an occasionally dodgy internet connection).

First impressions are... Wow. Looks really nice, a bit too dark perhaps, I kept having to zoom in to check out the models properly ;)

The size is a concern... 60 frames for animations is huge, and shouldn't really be needed, Glest interpolates between the frames, so you could probably get away with a lot less.  Also, regarding texture size, while I know you want everything to look a good as possible, you need to bear in mind the typical view distance, the game isn't generally played zoomed right in, so smaller textures will probably not make much of a difference. While it's probably a pain to have to reload the game all the time, test often in game (not the g3d viewer), using less memory for textures with such large factions would be well advised.

But awesome looking mod, keep up the good work  :thumbup:
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #210 on: 6 July 2010, 16:42:54 »
Gah... The site cut my download during the night... And it seems to be having problems right now. I guess I'll wait for the filefront download. :P

ChupaReaper

« Reply #211 on: 6 July 2010, 17:37:44 »
Well, I got a successful download on the third attempt :)  The inability to resume broken downloads is a killer with such a big package (and an occasionally dodgy internet connection).

First impressions are... Wow. Looks really nice, a bit too dark perhaps, I kept having to zoom in to check out the models properly ;)

The size is a concern... 60 frames for animations is huge, and shouldn't really be needed, Glest interpolates between the frames, so you could probably get away with a lot less.  Also, regarding texture size, while I know you want everything to look a good as possible, you need to bear in mind the typical view distance, the game isn't generally played zoomed right in, so smaller textures will probably not make much of a difference. While it's probably a pain to have to reload the game all the time, test often in game (not the g3d viewer), using less memory for textures with such large factions would be well advised.

But awesome looking mod, keep up the good work  :thumbup:

Ok, thanks for the info, I guess I could lower the textures a bit and brighten them up a bit too, but not too much I still want them to look kinda dark. As for the models, I'll see if there's a way to scale animations on Blender I'm sure this can be done using the Actions window but I'm not sure what would happen to some of the frames in between, would they become decimal frames like frame 3.5, etc, I'll find out, I'll go through and half all the animation sizes at least.
On the other hand, I've done a tiny start to the second faction: Hyperion. This is an Angel and Jotuun faction based around a Light and Ice theme. So far I've got some sounds, buttons and gatehouses going but it complains about a unit being too large for the starting point even thought they're the same as the Necribus faction which works fine?

Edit: I've began uploading the Necribus Faction file now, once that's done all people need to down is download the Core files and extract then download the faction files and extract where the core files were extracted and it should all be ready to go.
« Last Edit: 6 July 2010, 18:08:45 by ChupaReaper »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #212 on: 6 July 2010, 20:15:31 »
Sure thing, but since the Faction Files are functionable on their own, it is possible to simply install it alongside a normal GAE installation. Might be handy for those who wish to cut down filesize (abet, only a fraction). I suppose I'll get both, once they are uploaded, that is. Can't wait to see personally! :)

ChupaReaper

« Reply #213 on: 6 July 2010, 22:01:38 »
Gah set the upload away only to come back a few hours later after being out to find there was some error, I'll have to upload it again, I'll leave my laptop on overnight.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #214 on: 7 July 2010, 01:50:41 »
I can't even upload to Filefront, it throws some stupid error at me all the time..........
Try Mediafire, or Dropbox if your problems persist. :)
Egypt Remastered!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #215 on: 7 July 2010, 10:54:28 »
Set the upload away and went to sleep, woke up and it was successful! Linkage!
So download that and the core files, I guess it could run without the core files but the menu is really nice with some lovely music :P, might as well, but for the main stuff it's the Necribus faction you want.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #216 on: 7 July 2010, 23:23:14 »
Ok... Now where's the link to the core files?

As for you archmage, I don't think those will work. Mediafire has a 200MB limit on free accounts, and dropbox... is pretty useless.

Really, there's nothing wrong with filefront. Something must be wrong with your internet if you are getting errors. I've uploaded dozens of files to it, and it is the fastest uploads I've had, as well as the easiest to use. Never seen an error yet. What does this error say? Anyway, I'll try and download soon... ;)

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #217 on: 7 July 2010, 23:29:04 »
Ok... Now where's the link to the core files?
Edit: Core files have been uploaded, I'm going to upload the faction later today. The releases page on my website has been updated and here's the direct link for the core files.

As for you archmage, I don't think those will work. Mediafire has a 200MB limit on free accounts, and dropbox... is pretty useless.
Right, now how about dropbox? It is pretty nice, what is wrong with it...
Really, there's nothing wrong with filefront. Something must be wrong with your internet if you are getting errors. I've uploaded dozens of files to it, and it is the fastest uploads I've had, as well as the easiest to use. Never seen an error yet. What does this error say? Anyway, I'll try and download soon... ;)
Depends on what the error is, I get one too sometimes.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #218 on: 7 July 2010, 23:51:58 »
I've just never found dropbox of use. Not to mention a measily 2GB total storage would fill up pretty fast for him... Filefront is better. Unlimited storage!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #219 on: 8 July 2010, 10:52:14 »
I've halved some of the textures for small units (kept larger textures for the bigger ones as you can zoom in and see the detail which is nice). Not sure what impact it's had n the size of it all but it loads a bit faster, now I'm going to work on the new faction as I've found no problems with the Necribus after testing it more (tested both subfactions completely now), it's a shame that you need at least CPU (Ultra) for an AI that works, AIs below Ultra don't build any military buildings, not sure how they work with fog of war on thought as that seems to affect them a bit.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #220 on: 8 July 2010, 14:30:51 »
Drop it in the box guys, ChupaReaper doesn't have the problem. :|

I've halved some of the textures for small units (kept larger textures for the bigger ones as you can zoom in and see the detail which is nice). Not sure what impact it's had n the size of it all but it loads a bit faster, now I'm going to work on the new faction as I've found no problems with the Necribus after testing it more (tested both subfactions completely now), it's a shame that you need at least CPU (Ultra) for an AI that works, AIs below Ultra don't build any military buildings, not sure how they work with fog of war on thought as that seems to affect them a bit.

The AI, aka AS(Artificial Stupidity).
Egypt Remastered!

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 8 July 2010, 16:12:59 »
...So far I've got some sounds, buttons and gatehouses going but it complains about a unit being too large for the starting point even thought they're the same as the Necribus faction which works fine?

Hmmm, same map & start location as you were using with Necribus? I'm wondering if this is related to the mapping issues you were having.

...it's a shame that you need at least CPU (Ultra) for an AI that works, AIs below Ultra don't build any military buildings, not sure how they work with fog of war on thought as that seems to affect them a bit.

Bah! AI Magic aren't even morphing battlemages, I broke something in the 'fixes' for 0.2.13a ... expect a 0.2.13b soon. Sorry!
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #222 on: 8 July 2010, 17:23:51 »
...So far I've got some sounds, buttons and gatehouses going but it complains about a unit being too large for the starting point even thought they're the same as the Necribus faction which works fine?

Hmmm, same map & start location as you were using with Necribus? I'm wondering if this is related to the mapping issues you were having.

...it's a shame that you need at least CPU (Ultra) for an AI that works, AIs below Ultra don't build any military buildings, not sure how they work with fog of war on thought as that seems to affect them a bit.

Bah! AI Magic aren't even morphing battlemages, I broke something in the 'fixes' for 0.2.13a ... expect a 0.2.13b soon. Sorry!

Found out the new faction problem, it seems if you have only building type units in a faction it'll always come up with an error saying there is no room to place anything next to the starting location for that faction, so back copying one of the non-building units from my old faction it works fine.

And cool can't wait for 0.2.13b!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #223 on: 8 July 2010, 17:56:12 »
Interesting... But yeah, the big problem with sub factions is that the AI cannot use them... At all.

EDIT// Well got it downloaded at last... 76 units and 23 upgrades!!! Wow.... That's a lot. Though I must admit, 5 mb for a walking animation is a bit extreme...
« Last Edit: 8 July 2010, 21:52:15 by Omega »

ChupaReaper

« Reply #224 on: 9 July 2010, 00:52:03 »
Interesting... But yeah, the big problem with sub factions is that the AI cannot use them... At all.

EDIT// Well got it downloaded at last... 76 units and 23 upgrades!!! Wow.... That's a lot. Though I must admit, 5 mb for a walking animation is a bit extreme...

Tis a pretty awesome walking animation though :P Nah am gonna go through all the animations at some point and cut down the frames.
But yeah, there's a lot of stuff in this faction and a lot of upgrades, though I want the upgrades to do more as most of them just unlock new units and subfactions, I want them to affect stats of units but indifferent ways per unit which can't be done yet.
Basically though: Werewolves and Zombies/Shadows = Speed (attack and movement), Satyrs and Demons = Power (attack strength and range, also harvesting speed for workers).

Next faction (Hyperion) is planned to be:
Angels = Defence (boosts defence and resource storage), Jotuun = Power (will work like demons almost).