Author Topic: Malevolent Rising - Remake  (Read 111168 times)

ChupaReaper

MRise Update: v1.7.2 Chill of the Ice Spirits
« Reply #425 on: 14 March 2011, 23:13:02 »
More new frost units, the Ice Spirits: Yeti, Furok and Wendigo! As the tip says, their high defense and movement snaring abilities make them good at holding back an enemy force.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:39:10 by filux »

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Malevolent Rising v1.7
« Reply #426 on: 15 March 2011, 00:21:55 »
I see, looks good.
Hmm...you have stopped using models from works like from Blizzard, right?
Also... I think you need to re-upload
Code: [Select]
http://www.gamefront.com/files/17417962/MRise_Necribus_Patch_v1.6.01.rarand perhaps you should try 7z with ultra compression...I think that's why rar was better for you at that time. It went down from 298 MB (rar) to 256 MB (7z) for me....  :| (For the core files, it was 8.5 MB less too...)

ChupaReaper

« Reply #427 on: 15 March 2011, 09:13:55 »
v1.6.01 was a small patch that was meant to fix the missing reapers textures but it doesn't as it turns out there was an extra mesh hidden under that cloak which had its texture missing (the death animation removes the cloak so all the meshes are necessary).
Just use v1.6, if GAE complains about missing textures make sure that the Ghoul, Phantom, Reaver and Corpseress all have Reaper_Skeleton.tga and Reaper_Flesh.tga present if they don't just copy the _Skeleton/_Flest (the one that is there) and rename it to the one that's missing and it should work. v2.0 has it all fixed up.
Only got the Harpies, Ice Golems and Wind Spirits left then the Hyperion are done and we're at v1.8. From there I'm gonna reduce some more g3d sizes and maybe 'pngitize' some of the large model textures so that both factions are running along with some final tweaks for v1.9. Then I'm going to add some trees to the menu model and finally release v2.0!

Also I'm forcing myself not to use WoW models, the only one there are the Satyrs and like the Werewolves, they're getting a revamp eventually, I'm gonna have a cool demonic humanoid model rather than the WoWish goat man look they have now. As from other games, I don't think any unit in the Hyperion faction are from another game, actually some are built from 3D model packs for the old Hexen and Heretic games but these are fan made models not from the original game and the models were only used as a base, they have new animations, a modified model and a brand new texture. Basically you'll not see the models used in the Hyperion in any other game.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2011, 09:24:21 by ChupaReaper »

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #428 on: 15 March 2011, 11:03:44 »
Sounds cool.
I was just wondering, how well does the A.I play your factions?

ChupaReaper

« Reply #429 on: 15 March 2011, 13:46:23 »
Sounds cool.
I was just wondering, how well does the A.I play your factions?

There are problems, the AI don't use walls or towers or gatehouses properly, they just build them randomly and leave them. The AI tends to favor one of the workers like Satyrs for the Necribus and Angels for the Hyperion and only produces new units of that type, the AI mostly only builds their barracks though on rare occasions they build the other race's. The AI seems to favor ranged units. Finally the AI only seems to build one of the Spires (for creating magic units) and doesn't understand that the spire must be used to produce a pillar building which then produces units, so they just stand there and look pretty.

This is why I'm looking forward to the merge as I use all of GAE's new features but my factions are best multiplayer which MegaGlest has the best of (GAE multiplayer doesn't work at all with my factions, it'll either stay for a few seconds before one player is lost or a player lags right behind and is eventually lost).

Playing against the AI is ok though, it would be better if they did more than create basic units. Single player will be more scenario based once I complete all five factions. Once multiplayer works, this project should be excellent due to the level of tactics that are provided.

ChupaReaper

MRise Update: v1.7.3 Attack of The Harpies
« Reply #430 on: 15 March 2011, 18:24:45 »
(click to show/hide)
The three types of Harpies are complete, rather than a humanoid appearance i decided to go all bird!
Ice Giants and Wind Spirits left then final adjustments for the v2.0 release!
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:39:50 by filux »

ChupaReaper

MRise Update: v1.7.4 Quake of The Ice Golems
« Reply #431 on: 16 March 2011, 15:50:17 »
Another update, only one type of unit left to do now the Hyperion are complete! :D
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:40:11 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 16 March 2011, 19:48:11 »
The Harpies look cool but their wings look kinda strange.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #433 on: 16 March 2011, 20:53:12 »
They did have different wings originally but they were pretty messed up and the poly count was insane so I had to take a textured approach, I quite like them, they are strange which makes them stand out from your average bird.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #434 on: 17 March 2011, 04:58:09 »
I thought harpies were (historically) part woman, part bird? But nonetheless, I like what I see.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ChupaReaper

« Reply #435 on: 17 March 2011, 09:09:04 »
I was going to make then half woman half bird there's already the Valkeries which are quite different but still similar so I decided in the end to change it, in history they are but in MRise they're giant birds, they're called different names in game but referred collectively as harpies. I might change them later but they're good for now. Plus technically in MRise humans don't exist so half woman wouldn't make as much sense lol!

Tununias

« Reply #436 on: 20 March 2011, 03:07:27 »
My computer is:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHZ (dual core)
RAM 2GB + 2GB Page File
GPU: GeForce 8400 GS, 512 MB Memory

The Minimum Requirements are:
CPU: 1.6GHz (1 CPU)
RAM 1GB + 4GB Page File
GPU: 200MHz Core Speed, 256MB Shared Memory

Is there any chance of it working? I assume the file is really huge so I thought I should ask before downloading and testing it.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #437 on: 20 March 2011, 06:50:50 »
My computer is:
RAM 2GB + 2GB Page File

RAM 1GB + 4GB Page File

Is there any chance of it working? I assume the file is really huge so I thought I should ask before downloading and testing it.
Unfortunately, no Glest mods have any proper benchmarks, so you'd have to try for yourself and see. Please definately report back the results, though.

Tununias

« Reply #438 on: 20 March 2011, 17:46:41 »
My computer is:
RAM 2GB + 2GB Page File

RAM 1GB + 4GB Page File

Unfortunately, no Glest mods have any proper benchmarks, so you'd have to try for yourself and see. Please definately report back the results, though.
When I selected the Mrise tech tree I got an error:
"Exception: No files found: techs/mrise/factions/*."

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #439 on: 20 March 2011, 18:32:51 »
My computer is:
RAM 2GB + 2GB Page File

RAM 1GB + 4GB Page File

When I selected the Mrise tech tree I got an error:
"Exception: No files found: techs/mrise/factions/*."
The core files and factions are downloaded separately. You'll have to download the factions (eg: Necribus) too.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #440 on: 20 March 2011, 23:21:39 »
The system requirements aren't exact at all they are just a guess, if it works then excellent, can't be sure for now though. Release v2.0 will be tested on low end systems to see if it works, though I have played v1.6 on an older old pc (256MB GFX, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2) and it worked fine (with some bugs but adjusting resolution and shadow modes, etc fixed all that). Don't try maps bigger than 128x128 either as they spiral out of control fast on my system.
And I have separated the downloads due to file size and how I want factions and core files (maps, tilesets, menu, resources, etc) to be updated separately rather than all in one giant file.
If you have problems with v1.6 don't worry as with v2.0 and higher I will aim to make them more stable and test them on different systems.

ChupaReaper

Malevolent Rising v1.7.5 One Year Anniversary!
« Reply #441 on: 4 May 2011, 19:36:08 »
Tomorrow is Malevolent Rising's 1 year anniversary! So I decided I'd update it. MRise now has a newer menu and has it's own widget settings. Once per faction configuration is implemented (unless already), each faction will have their own GUI.
(click to show/hide)

The last units for the Hyperion are still not complete as I've been swamped with uni work and decided to wait for the complete GAE v1.4 release.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:40:33 by filux »

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Malevolent Rising v1.7 05/05/2011 One Year Anniversary
« Reply #442 on: 4 May 2011, 22:36:00 »
It's good to see other modders making use of the unit tips. :thumbup:

ChupaReaper

Malevolent Rising Update: v1.8 Eye of The Storm
« Reply #443 on: 12 May 2011, 14:44:52 »
Finally got round to finishing off the Hyperion Faction! The final three units, the Frost Tempests: Garuda, Anemoi and Fujin  are at last complete. They make heavy use of particles for team color the rest is basically a see-through spinning cone with arms! The Unit Tip below sums them up:
(click to show/hide)

So what's next? Well I first need to go through all my current models both Hyperion and Necribus and I need to thin down the model sizes so that both factions will load together into one game, I may be sacrificing a lot of frames but I hear GAE has good interpolation. Once this is done and both factions load MRise will hit v1.9. Then I'll do some tests such as seeing if the effect/emanation tags work ok and also make sure some units aren't over or under powered. Which leads MRise to v2.0 the first release, I'm also going to use this license for the release which I just discovered in another topic.

Release v2.0 is to be as stable as possible and will be maintained more so any problems should be reported so I can work on them and also suggestions about each unit (is one kinda crap or another too powerful) so I can fix them up through patches, etc.

Finally, v2.1 will mark the beginning of faction three out of five, The Gians!
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:41:00 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: Malevolent Rising v1.8
« Reply #444 on: 12 May 2011, 19:14:08 »
The Tempest looks like my tornado.  :)
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #445 on: 13 May 2011, 01:02:22 »
The Tempest looks like my tornado.  :)

I know I saw that a while back and thought, hey that's an idea. Had planned the tempests to be storm things all along but never thought about what they should look like. Also as a kid I drew these random tornadoes with arms and spikes so I thought; meh go for it lol!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #446 on: 17 May 2011, 23:15:16 »
I randomly decided to get the fourth faction symbol for the Vestirus done:
[img]http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/6584/vestirus.png[/img]
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:41:16 by filux »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #447 on: 18 May 2011, 00:15:19 »
Wow, that's nice!
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ChupaReaper

Malevolent Rising Release: v1.8
« Reply #448 on: 22 May 2011, 00:39:26 »
Ok so v1.8 is essential v2.0 but for testing! It should work fine so long as you don't play games with both the Necribus and Hyperion together in one match due some major problem. For the testers, simply run a match with the Necribus and Hyperion and see what happens...
All three 7zips are needed and should work in the addons folder, if not unzip them into your share folder or whatever:
[list]
[li][url=http://www.gamefront.com/files/20357183/MRise_CoreFiles_v2.0.7z]MRise Core Files v2.0[/url][/li]
[li][url=http://www.gamefront.com/files/20357329/MRise_Necribus_v2.0.7z]MRise Necribus v2.0[/url][/li]
[li][url=http://www.gamefront.com/files/20357516/MRise_Hyperion_v2.0.7z]MRise Hyperion v2.0[/url][/li]
[/list]

This release is not on my website as it is only for finding out what this loading problem is, the files are labelled v2.0 in case the problem doesn't require me changing anything so that they're already uploaded and can become the official v2.0 files.
Anyways, post here if you have problems and post here for any info on the 'overloading' problem.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 03:41:41 by filux »

ChupaReaper

Malevolent Rising Update: v1.9 Necribus vs Hyperion
« Reply #449 on: 25 May 2011, 10:25:35 »
Finally got both factions working again, reducing the G3Ds wasn't enough, I had to go through my textures enforcing this rule:
No diffuse maps above 256x256 and
No specular or normal maps above 128x128.
This resulted in some textures from sizes 512x512 and 1024x1024 being reduced to 256x256 and the loss of detail is only really noticeable one one unit, the Necribus Tower but the nice normal and specular shaders make up for it. Some normal and specular maps where also around 1024x1024 being reduced by a huge amount to 128x128.
Both factions now load slightly faster and both factions have quite a reduced file size, they're not 7zipped just yet but once they are I'll report the size differences, I'm guess they've lost around 20MB at least and that they'll maybe be around 290MB in size down from ~340MB, this is a blind guess though lol!

Next I need to clean up my tilesets at last, they need new trees, ruins models, some new rocks and plants and maybe some texture edits too, once this is done I think MRise will be ready for its v2.0 release. If anyone can't wait there is v1.8 posted above and if they don't both work you can try resizing all the textures by 50% in both factions for a quick fix, otherwise I recommend just waiting for v2.0 it shouldn't be long.

Note: My website is going through a server transfer so may be inaccessible at some point and wont be updated for the next ~48hrs.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 10:30:59 by ChupaReaper »