Author Topic: Future Prospects: One Glest.  (Read 6911 times)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Future Prospects: One Glest.
« on: 9 June 2010, 22:31:12 »
Does anyone have any hopes like me that we can combine the three versions of glest some day? I think it is indeed possible, since vanilla glest has no advantages over either of the other two, thus allowing it to be easily replaced. GAE recently reverted to 3.2.2's multiplayer (for the time being) which was the main reason Titi mentioned to have split off his own project. Neither GAE nor MG have a lot of developers, and I believe that both would benefit better if they shared those developers between one project.

Megaglest's main bonuses over GAE are the 8 player support, soon-to-be master server support, particle effects, and improved map formats. GAE's main bonuses are Emanations, Effects, Auto-return, Auto-repair, game saving, and improved Lau. Now imagine both of these projects together! We know that both are going to, without doubt, eventually copy ideas from the other (ie: GAE is going to impliment Titi's particle effects, and eventually have support for more players, which will require his map format).

Does anyone agree with me that such projects would benefit from a merge? Especially if we can convince Martino to also put a download link for that version of Glest on the main page.

:)
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Future Prospects: One Glest.
« Reply #1 on: 9 June 2010, 22:57:04 »
Especially if we can convince Martino to also put a download link for that version of Glest on the main page.
Well, in the future people might get confused, but we'll see...basically that would be great though, with a few problems.

Well yes, someday, but after at least MG is fully stable on multiplayer (around 90% OK now IMO) and GAE reaches v. 0.3.

Also, I thought we already discussed this.
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5236.50
hmm...  :|

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 9 June 2010, 23:57:21 »
It would be good if possible but we tried it before and it didn't work...

BTW: What is Emanations and Effects? Like what good are they what do they do?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2010, 00:11:06 »
That doesn't mean we can't at least try to get everybody working towards the same goals.  We all just want an improved game, right?

They add variety to gameplay.  Without them, your units are really just different combinations of hit points and damage values.  Effects can be things like causing continuous damage after the attack (like poison) or modifying the parameters of the target or the unit making the attack, such as movement speed, attack speed, and site radius (so you can hit a guy with a special attack that makes him go blind).  Emanations are basically effects that are always on, and they radiate out from the unit.  For example, any friendly unit standing near your commander might get an attack bonus, or any units standing near your zombie might get sick.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2010, 00:15:20 »
What John said, also, it was kinda different before, so it would be a good possibility that this could happen...in the future at at least ::)...

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2010, 02:47:43 »
Also, I thought we already discussed this...  ::)
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5236.50
hmm...  ::)
Interesting... I must have missed that.

How could it not work?

Effects are basically an added effect to an attack. For example, Military's nuke has an effect called "Radiation Poisoning". It reduces the rate your units work at while sapping all HP (and it does stack, so the more nukes, the worse the radiation poisoning is). Effects don't have to reduce stats though, they can do whatever can be done with both multipliers and static modifiers (ie: A multiplier of 0 will turn that stat an instant 0, while a static modifier of 5 will modify it by exactly 5).

Emanations are basically the same thing, but instead of coming out of attacks, they are bound to a specific unit and effect all units around that fit the emanation criteria. For example, you can give an emanation that makes all enemies within x paces slowly drain HP. An example is in military, the medic boosts the regen rate of nearby units, and the stealth bomber causes the air raid emanation, demoraling foes to reduce their stats (but make 'em run faster!).

Another feature related to that I didn't previously mention is that GAE lets you define how stats increase when your units level up. For example, when the tank levels up to become a heavy tank, its HP, Armor, and Attack increase, but nothing else.

While I wouldn't expect anything immediately, I think the community is far too small to have so many branches of the program! Most people turn up on the board without even knowing what GAE/MG are! Not to mention that it would get even more confusing since we have lots of mods being developed, and eventually there would be some for vanilla, GAE, and MG! While both GAE and MG are backwards compatible with each other, MG will probably never catch up to GAE, though GAE may catch up to MG faction-wise quite soon.

After all, GAE is missing MG's map format, the number of players (though they plan to implement a massive 16 last I heard, though they may rethink that down to 8), the particle effects (can't remember when, but Silnarm said they'd be coming very soon, along with particle effects for emanations/effects). After that, all of MG's mods should work with GAE.

Concerning Stability: I've never considered either to be completely stable. One must remember though, we don't really release any "officially stable" versions, since the testing of the (very few) programmers alone is not enough to consider it stable. Therefor, every version of GAE/MG that you download is actually just another beta version. Even if silnarm, etc states it as stable, that's still only to him, and it still must be tested by the community. You cannot expect things to be stable really until well after its been released, at the next version, at which point, there may be new things that make it unstable again. Large corporations have huge testing teams to counteract this. We do not. We, the users of the program, are also the testers.

I've never seen many bugs in either, except for one (abet, bad one) in a RC, not counting my past crashes which were caused by an outdated graphics card (:-[). I've never played MG enough to say how stable it is to me (I don't play multiplayer much, and the particles and extra players aren't so huge of a deal that I can pass up my simple GAE features like auto-repair and auto-return (cannot live without them! Micromanaging that is the pits).

My verdict? MEGA GAE!

wyvern

« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2010, 13:08:08 »
It would probably be good if the projects combined.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2010, 16:22:27 »
MG will probably never catch up to GAE, though GAE may catch up to MG faction-wise quite soon.
Maybe not but I don't think GAE will catch up to MG ether.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2010, 22:35:39 »
Well, the best thing you could do is delete your OT posts...  ::)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My verdict? MEGA GAE!
Later, later, later, as I have said.
As there is a chance, that maybe it will...but also an equal chance of not...  :|

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2010, 00:19:34 »
Later?  The longer they wait, the harder it's going to be.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2010, 00:21:41 »
Well, that is unfortunately how is has to be...also, the time zone problem..etc.  ::)
Work.
Differences.  ::)
Etc.
Well, MG is getting more stable, don't know about GAE, not enough testers probably.  :|

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2010, 01:25:38 »
Well, MG is getting more stable, don't know about GAE, not enough testers probably.  :|
Dunno about that... I've had no problems with the current release of either, but judging from the posts on their boards, MG has a lot more bugs.

One big beef I have with MG though is the huge file size! I want to download JUST the windows executable and core files. Sorry Titi, but I already have the megapack, and a 100+mb download is not going to make me happy. GAE gets along fine with its miniscule file size.

Well, the best thing you could do is delete your OT posts...  ::)
Omega has just had a lot of fun deleting off topic posts! Down goes the post counts!

Later?  The longer they wait, the harder it's going to be.
Exactly john! In my opinion, in an ideal world where they agreed to merge, GAE would finish 0.3, and MG would have a stable master server available, then, BAM! Mega GAE. :)

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2010, 01:35:49 »
Omega has just had a lot of fun deleting off topic posts! Down goes the post counts!
Hmm, sounds fun, can I try?  ::)  :O Joking...

Dunno about that... I've had no problems with the current release of either, but judging from the posts on their boards, MG has a lot more bugs.
MG has more bugs because recently it was implemented with a lot of "new" stuff, and there are active testers...  ::)
GAE doesn't because...it doesn't. It hasn't really implemented anything that could actually have huge problems...  ::) (For MG, mainly multiplayer issues, but now mostly if not all fixed  :thumbup: )
Exactly john! In my opinion, in an ideal world where they agreed to merge, GAE would finish 0.3, and MG would have a stable master server available, then, BAM! Mega GAE.
Well, we'll see... I think titi and softcoder may have some time, I don't know about the remaining GAE Team...  :|

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2010, 23:23:09 »
One stable client build and a patcher for bug fixes and new game content.

Currently I have Glest2.0  GAE3.2.2b? Glest3.2.2 and MG3.2.3? on my hard drive.

I stop caring about new builds and new content when mod developers run open-ended projects.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2010, 23:25:11 »
Technically, Vanilla Glest, Original Glest, is not really stable..  ::)
Hmm, that version of MG is really old...  ::)
So you don't have the latest version of GAE?  ::)
I don't think it is too hard to get them all, just annoying.  ::)

Gabbe

« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2010, 04:06:44 »
whilst were talking about annoying ( ::) ::) ::) ::))...

guys, they merge when they want to ;)

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2010, 04:10:03 »
If were talking about annoying, I am pretty sure your one-liners are more annoying...than...eliminator's...
::)
Oh and Trappin, also, as long as you don't have old versions of say, like, megaglest, then it is fine...right?  :|

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2010, 14:51:48 »
I love the different development strings.

Merging MegaGlest and GAE would be extremely difficult, the devs have already tried merging different parts, some success, and some failure.

I say MG and GAE should just keep going and trading cool features and blah blah blah.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 2 July 2010, 07:23:34 »
Well, titi is going to be gone soon, and softcoder will be busy during the time that the GAE team will be on so...this would be great, but not in the near future...it is hard, to...do...I can really imagine. ...
Megaglest is soon coming to the stable version. Don't know about GAE, 0.3... but I do know both of them are great! Will be, at least.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: 3 July 2010, 21:07:51 »
I doubt either will ever have a stable version with our community size... I mean, "stable" would need hundreds of testers on most platforms testing down to every little thing and trying to exploit the engine to make sure it doesn't "break".

Personally, it would be easier for modders if we had just one engine, since there's no "Ok, should I have really nice particles, or should I get those awesome emanations?" questions.

I think merging is distinctly possible, since GAE will eventually support at least 8 players, and with that, will need the new map format. GAE also has plans to impliment Titi's particles, as well as particles for emanations. After that, what's left? The master server, which is still incomplete and in need of more testing for security?

I for one, do think a merge is possible, even if not in the "sometime within eyesight" future.

(Though indeed Titi will be on vacation for a few weeks. Perhaps GAE will have caught up by then? :O)

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #20 on: 4 July 2010, 03:36:54 »
No one is asking for perfection here, stable is as stable does! Glest 3.2.2 is stable but has some annoying.. lets call them "unintended features".  We will never reach consensus because we apply different standards and definitions to words with broad meanings. Stable open source freeware should not be compared to commercially available software etc.

Has anyone here played STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl? SoC literally has hundreds of mods, some of those mods are tiny 5 line bug fixes while others pretty much alter the game engine. The mod community had reached a point where many mods would not function with each other - sometimes WinMerge would get two incompatible mods working and sometimes it would break everything. One team of modders branched out and built a mod tool for installing/uninstalling/merging mods.

http://www.smart-mod-manager.org/details.html

Code: [Select]
For users

Smart Mod Manager manages your collection of mods, allows you to quickly switch between them, add and remove mods in any order. It is also capable of merging mods together.

SMM works with nearly all existing mods. The exception is mods that come with their own installers. If you want to install such a mod, it is best to ask its author to provide a "plain" version.

SMM can merge mods together. If two mods conflict with each other, SMM will ask you to choose the more important one. However, it is not always possible to merge mods correctly. Mods that are similar to each other are difficult to merge.

SMM makes mods simple, but does not hide anything from you. The Diagram View shows exactly what is going on behind the scenes. Higher priority mods are displayed above lower priority mods. Links are drawn between conflicting mods. You can click on a link to see what is wrong.
There can be description files for multiple languages. Add a two-letter language suffix to each translated file, for example: description-de.txt  to German and description-ru.txt to Russian.

We need a Glest Mod Manager for Glest/GAE/MegaGlest. Branch managers will provide a "Stable" cross platform installer/build for their prospective branch and the mod tool then works from each "stable" build to install or remove various modded game elements. The tool will add flexibility for modders but will simplify the process of patching and modding files for end users.

We cannot grow the community if the mods and patches and binaries and branches and tilesets and map .mgm and .gbm ...... OMG! I just went blind....

Keywords: Glest Open Source Stable = pretty darn good beta build.

« Last Edit: 4 July 2010, 03:44:32 by Trappin »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 4 July 2010, 04:49:48 »
Any ways a stable version of MG just came out today...

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 4 July 2010, 05:52:46 »
I think merging is distinctly possible, since GAE will eventually support at least 8 players, and with that, will need the new map format. GAE also has plans to impliment Titi's particles, as well as particles for emanations. After that, what's left?

Particle systems for skills (as per MG) are done already, new ones for unit/area effects/emanations are on the way.

As I said when MG was started, I can and will take the better things they do and add them to GAE.

As to a merging of efforts, this unfortunately will never happen.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 4 July 2010, 13:19:47 »
So if anyone asks the question anymore about merging GAE and Mega-Glest, please refer back to Silnarm's answer here as he has his mind set on this never happening. Up until getting this reply I had thought that there would be the possibiltiy, but I see now that there is no desire at all.

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 4 July 2010, 14:15:00 »
Up until getting this reply I had thought that there would be the possibiltiy, but I see now that there is no desire at all.

Actions speak louder than words softcoder.

Your actions tell me you have no interest in anything we've done, else you wouldn't constantly be ignoring work we've done and implementing it yourself.

When multi-platform network play became the 'big thing', I had a plan, I made it known.  Did you engage with me so we could work together and make it happen? No.

It seems you now have configurable hotkeys... any chance you used GAE code? Nope.

Command queuing, as per GAE? No.

So your words and your actions are telling conflicting stories. Or so it seems to me.

But then, maybe its just a definitions thing. By merging, perhaps you think that means us abandoning everything we've done and then re-implementing only the things you want into Megaglest?

I sincerely wish we could work together, but the two forks continue to diverge at an ever increasing rate. That is the sad truth.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads