Author Topic: The "official" Crincillin thread  (Read 16860 times)

Zoythrus

The "official" Crincillin thread
« on: 16 June 2010, 18:17:36 »
Hello Glest community!

Im here to showcase the new faction that me and my friend Seanachaidh are doing for the upcoming "Constellus" mod. We call them the "Crincillin".

In case you are wondering what the Crincillin is, you have no need to wait any longer!

The Crincillin are a futuristic, alien race. Their defining features are their ability to hover and their smooth architecture.
example: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5428.0
another example, this one is the command center:

what makes the Crincillin different from other factions? they way that they play.
every Crincillin unit can transform into a different unit. Morphing...kinda, they can morph between the two forms freely. for example, the medium infantry (which is solely anti-ground) can morph into a fighter which is solely anti-air. if the army needs more ground support, they just morph back to their infantry form.

this idea caused problems at first, due to the need of resources when guys morph (why would you need gold to get on a horse?); so we came up with a revolutionary idea - the units cost no resources!

"Madness!" is probably what you are thinking; now before you write it off as a cheat faction, i'll tell you this: the guys still need alot of time to warp from their home planet. these guys take 2 1/2 times longer to make. also, the buildings are tremendously expensive. you wont have very many buildings in a base. another thing to add is that their standard base defense is only medium strength (it can morph into anti-air as needed), so it wont protect your base for long. these traits make them weak in the short run, but very strong late game.

here is the tech tree that we are going off of:

some people had a hard time understanding this picture, but dont worry, ive improved it by adding arrows to the pre-requisites. this shows the flow of the tree.

the only unit that is not on there is our planned "uber unit" which is the only unit that cannot morph into something, but it is SUPER EXPENSIVE and takes a TREMENDOUS amount of time to make - building one is an accomplishment in its own right! but, being able to make units on the fly and being nigh unbeatable is good enough compensation for the player, right?

as you can see, our idea has been fully fleshed out here, and we've put lots of time and effort into making them balanced and playable (and cool!).
if you want to play it, you're in luck! We have released alpha! http://www.mediafire.com/?s16kvrocvbrw918. if you would like to contribute to the Crincillin project, please tell us, and we can give you a job immediately (no need to fight over a position, there is enough for everyone).

P.S. sorry if the pics are huge...
« Last Edit: 11 October 2010, 05:20:34 by Zoythrus »

Gabbe

Re: The "official" Crincillin thread
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2010, 18:19:01 »
okay.

wyvern

« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2010, 18:23:19 »
I have an idea for the super unit it would be called blitz, be ultra fast and do massive damage but it would be weak armor wise to allow high speeds it would be an air unit, if you want a model I'll make it but nothing else since I can't texture or animate :( :(

forgot to mention this last time but I don't like the no cost ability, can't you just get a 100% refund for the morphs, plus only one would be necessary to buy the other could be free.

heres a mock up turret thing I made, maybe it will fit this mod
http://img411.imageshack.us/i/turretthingpic.jpg/
« Last Edit: 16 June 2010, 19:25:28 by @kukac@ »

Gabbe

« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2010, 19:23:35 »
wyvern, i storngly suggest that you learn to model, adding already-made meshes isn`t modelign at all.

wyvern

« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2010, 19:24:56 »
I can kinda model the tanks I made looked good and this is a crummy model so...

Gabbe

« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2010, 19:25:22 »
atleast decimate it.

wyvern

« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2010, 19:25:49 »
Why

Gabbe

« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2010, 19:28:59 »
because it lowers poly count. and then again the game runs smoother.

wyvern

« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2010, 19:33:15 »
I just decimated that model looks fine

Zoythrus

« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2010, 19:47:08 »
@wyvern: the reason that we have no resources is because we dont want the ever-precious resources to be spent just so a bunch of guys can morph. and besides, if they are being warped in, why do they need resources?

also, that model will not do...

wyvern

« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2010, 19:50:27 »
it doesn't matter if the model won't do I wasn't gonna use it for anything anyway, still being for free you could swamp anyone with sheer weight of number no matter what limitations you put on

Zoythrus

« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2010, 19:54:03 »
yes, the point is to get them while they're weak. "weak in the short run, very strong late game"

they suffer at the hands of rushers

also, since their buildings are expensive and somewhat fragile...get where im going here?

Gabbe

« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2010, 19:54:59 »
I do

wyvern

« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2010, 20:00:30 »
I still find it somewhat unfair since the ai will swamp you with these guys from the start, at though I'm not sure how well they'd do against a turtling enemy like me

hairy cat

« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2010, 20:04:01 »
Looks nice, good luck with making the faction  ;D
I might help with modeling, but not now, i'm too busy. Maybe in 1-2 weeks :)

Zoythrus

« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2010, 20:04:29 »
since they take so long to make, numbers wont be an issue. the only thing you have to fear is when the map is dry of resources - they can keep fighting without them. so, kill them before the map runs dry.

Zoythrus

« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2010, 20:05:34 »
ok cat, before you model anything, give us some concept art

wyvern

« Reply #17 on: 16 June 2010, 20:07:06 »
since they take so long to make, numbers wont be an issue. the only thing you have to fear is when the map is dry of resources - they can keep fighting without them. so, kill them before the map runs dry.
well okay but I still don't like the no cost idea :( :|

Zoythrus

« Reply #18 on: 16 June 2010, 20:08:11 »
it'll all work out, Wyvern. dont worry  :P

wyvern

« Reply #19 on: 16 June 2010, 20:14:13 »
it'll all work out, Wyvern. dont worry  :P
lets hope so *unconvinced*

Gabbe

« Reply #20 on: 16 June 2010, 22:30:11 »
will there be a jedi hero?

Zoythrus

« Reply #21 on: 16 June 2010, 22:39:45 »
sadly no, that would chuck the balancing out the window... (hey Seana, maybe a Star Wars mod?)

Gabbe

« Reply #22 on: 16 June 2010, 22:41:41 »
Maybe a death star....

Zoythrus

« Reply #23 on: 16 June 2010, 22:46:38 »
 :| hmmmm....death star....

actually, before we get off topic, any questions about our mod?

Gabbe

« Reply #24 on: 16 June 2010, 22:47:55 »
it isn`t off topic, what about master yoda, perhaps a master yoda could fit here?