Author Topic: Glest map: Riptide  (Read 2991 times)

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
Glest map: Riptide
« on: 20 June 2010, 22:03:21 »
Map added to http://glestmaps.wikia.com/

Map: Riptide
Author: Trappin
Map Size: Large
Preferred Tileset: Meadow
Map Type: 4 player generic
Resource Allotment: Moderate
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mttq10xncic/Riptide.rar
License: CC0 Creative Commons Zero - public domain
Date: 6/2010

« Last Edit: 30 June 2010, 00:48:42 by Trappin »

Gabbe

Re: Glest map: Rip Tide
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2010, 22:06:42 »
will try..again...you`ve made many maps recently trappin. keep up the good work  :thumbup:

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2010, 21:00:50 »
OK, we tried it. Not all they way, because some people were having lag issues (all?  :| ) and so...
but I  think this map was too big, should be more like 128 x 128, I mean, not there were a lot of resources out there...besdies, it took them 20 minutes? (mega) to attack us...(me, at position (player 0) from player 3 position.
Then after that they later attacked position player 2.
Anyways, map was cool, but I think it would be better with having a size of 128 x 128, not 256...
thanks.  :thumbup:

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2010, 23:07:10 »
No lag here...

It's ok to have some large maps. We got no shortage of small ones. While 128x128 is more suitable for only 4 players, its fine to have large maps for few players. It makes the most epic games! There aren't the kind of maps you use for a quick game, but for when you have a few hours to spare.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2010, 23:11:27 »
No lag here...

It's ok to have some large maps. We got no shortage of small ones. While 128x128 is more suitable for only 4 players, its fine to have large maps for few players. It makes the most epic games! There aren't the kind of maps you use for a quick game, but for when you have a few hours to spare.
Not in megaglest, currently, at least...
I completely understand and agree, but when you are "testing" and maybe have some other things to do, it can be annoying...

This is kinda OT, though. Somewhat, at least.

Well, this map is great, but the fact that it took so long (a mega) to attack, it made the game bad, then there was unbalance and such... Still, I like this map.  :thumbup:

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2010, 05:25:20 »
Comments noted - new version will be up by Saturday.

I've played at least 10 games on this map and didn't notice any lag - you guys need to document the lag effects. Is this Internet latency from Glest multiplayer coding or just bad mapping on my part? We really need to know whats going on here. This map is very simple - we have at least 12treex12goldx12stone at each starting location and one river crossing. The map is "X" shaped and the middle of the maps is open and easily traversed by AI units.

Open to suggestions - if someone wants to mod this map and prove that the lag is map based and not a coding problem then please do so.

All of my Gest work is license: CC0 Creative Commons Zero - public domain.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2010, 05:31:28 »
Comments noted - new version will be up by Saturday.
Thanks.  :thumbup:
I've played at least 10 games on this map and didn't notice any lag - you guys need to document the lag effects. Is this Internet latency from Glest multiplayer coding or just bad mapping on my part? We really need to know whats going on here. This map is very simple - we have at least 12treex12goldx12stone at each starting location and one river crossing. The map is "X" shaped and the middle of the maps is open and easily traversed by AI units.
It was Internet latency. But somehow, it was a mega, and it took a long time to attack "us"... probably cause it had to go across diagonally... anyways, I think this map will be good the next time we test, could just have had bad luck and such...

Thanks.  :thumbup:

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2010, 05:38:40 »
Looks cool Ill have to try it.  :)
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2010, 00:05:10 »
It has too many unvisible blocker objects on the coasts. What are they good for?
You cannot walk on a lot of beaches for example.

There is too little gold in the expand places. I think you should really put there a lot more.

But it look sgood in meadow :)
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
Re: Glest map: Riptide
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2010, 08:01:09 »
Alright - you guys wanted more resources: check

Shaved off the shoreline a bit, removed some pink blockers, added a rock cliff and renamed the map.

New download link on the OP.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2010, 13:59:42 »
thanks! will look at it when I'm home.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2010, 15:10:02 »
Thanks, downloaded it, then I looked at it...looks better now,  :thumbup: .
I'll probably try it later with other people...later? Then I'll give you feed back...or maybe tell them to?  :|

anything