Author Topic: GAE 0.3  (Read 13467 times)

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
GAE 0.3
« on: 12 September 2010, 06:34:08 »
Glest Advanced Engine 0.3

Note: Things have changed a bit, the configuration files and logs are located at ~/.glestadv (on linux) or ~/glestadv (on windows)

Windows
There is an installer available for Windows (~55 MiB)
For modders, there is also the Developer edition (binary only, requires installed version)

Ubuntu
Ok, I couldn't get the deps thing working properly, so you'll have to ensure you have the dependencies yourselves for now, the only new thing is PhysFS, so if you can run original Glest, all you will likely need is to grab libphysfs through synaptic.
32bit Deb (built on Ubuntu 10.04) (~72 MiB)
64bit Deb (built on Ubuntu 9.10) (~72 MiB)

Linux - Source package (with data)
Source tarball (~67 MiB)

[Mac bundle due sometime ?]

[Binary and data upgrade packages to follow.]

New Features:
 * PhysFS (virtual file system)
   * data in ~/glestadv/addons is merged with the base data
   * files in addons/ with identical paths will override base data
   * mods can be loaded from zip files
 * FreeType fonts
   * Nicer looking fonts, and completely platform neutral
 * New Command: Generate - a 'Produce' command for non-units
   * see https://docs.megaglest.org/GAE/Command_XML#generate
 * New Commands: Load and Unload, for housing units in transports/towers/etc
   * see https://docs.megaglest.org/GAE/Skill_XML#load
   * & https://docs.megaglest.org/GAE/Command_XML#load
 * Skill / Effect / Emanation Particle systems
 * Resources are selectable
 * Player colours are selectable from the new game menu
 * 8 player support
 * LAN game announcer
 * Buildings can be rotated before placement (90 degree increments only)
 * Support for multiple music tracks per faction
   * see https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5800.msg58079#msg58079
 * Improved performance of model interpolation
 * Multi-tier selection support for Produce and Morph commands
   * see https://docs.megaglest.org/GAE/Command_XML#produce
 * Command complete sounds for Morph, Produce and Upgrade
 * Dedicated Lua console with command history (single player only)
 * Complete GUI overhaul, droplists, check-boxes, and all (or most) the stuff you would expect in a modern GUI
 * default textures and models are used if errors occur loading data
 * New Lua functions
   * setCameraMotion() - for cinematics
   * giveUpgrade() - gift an upgrade
   * destroyUnit() - 'kill' a unit
   * damageUnit() - deal some damage to a unit
   * Dialogue Sequences
     * addActor() - registers an 'actor' name, and associates a colour with it
     * addDialog() - adds some dialog from an actor
 * Some new menu.xml options were added for total conversions

Some Bugs Fixed:
 * daytime cycle stops after loading saved game
 * meeting points not persisted in saved games
 * Some bugs in the Lua interface were fixed, which were preventing tables from being passed properly

Things that didn't make it:
 * Only 8 player support was added, this will be increased to 12 soon, but we need to rework the New Game Menu and find four new colours that don't clash
 * Glestimals - some support exists in the code, but a little more is required, the models are still in need of animation, so loading of them was disabled.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:22:21 by filux »
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Gabbe

Re: GAE 0.3
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2010, 10:01:13 »
Yay and its out! Going to try it right away!

hls

« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2010, 12:09:24 »
I can't open the glestadv.exe,
the stderr.txt says"
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

How to get it work?

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2010, 12:47:25 »
I can't open the glestadv.exe,
the stderr.txt says"
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

How to get it work?

Hi hls,

Does the start-menu link work ? double clicking the exe wont work, as it expects to run from the directory one level up.

Copy the start-menu shortcut if you want it on the desktop, a toolbar, etc

Timeline | Downloads

cds

« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2010, 01:35:03 »
I don't know what to make the glestadv.exe work! I don't understand you,help?

larryhaja

« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2010, 02:00:40 »
Thanks for including the data along with the source.  It is now easier to compile and install from one package.

It took me a while to compile it (~4-5 hours off and on) until glestadv found the data directory.  The problem turned out to be turning GAE_USE_PHYSFS off.  It seems to compile fine without it but breaks the path to the data directory.  I found out the hard way.  :)

Anyways, thanks for another great release.  I have successfully compiled glestae for Slackware 13.1 and ARCH linux.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2010, 02:22:09 »
I don't know what to make the glestadv.exe work! I don't understand you,help?

What version of Windows are you using ? Is there any output in C:\Program Files\glestae 0.3\stdout.txt or C:\Program Files\glestae 0.3\stderr.txt ?

Does it create a glestadv directory in you user folder, and if so... what does glestadv-log have in it.

Thanks for including the data along with the source.  It is now easier to compile and install from one package.

It took me a while to compile it (~4-5 hours off and on) until glestadv found the data directory.  The problem turned out to be turning GAE_USE_PHYSFS off.  It seems to compile fine without it but breaks the path to the data directory.  I found out the hard way.  :)

Anyways, thanks for another great release.  I have successfully compiled glestae for Slackware 13.1 and ARCH linux.

Hi larryhaja, glad you got it going, with PhysFS on (as is intended) the CMake var GAE_DATA_DIR needs to point where the data will end up (be installed), this is somewhat rigid and causing a few problems, we're considering options to make it less painful for the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Timeline | Downloads

cds

« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2010, 07:51:35 »
My operating system is windows xp sp2 for Chinese.There is nothing in c:\documents and setting\~~~\glestadv\addons,I have the same question with hls .I just don't know how to solve it ,I don't understand your answer,thank you.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2010, 09:29:20 »
Hi cds,

Because of a problem with the way we have setup PhysFS, you must start glestadv using the shortcut on the start-menu (or a copy of it).

Double clicking the actual executable in explorer will not work.

So, use the shortcut on the start-menu:

We hope to fix this for the next version.

Cheers.

Timeline | Downloads

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2010, 09:45:20 »

Hi larryhaja, glad you got it going, with PhysFS on (as is intended) the CMake var GAE_DATA_DIR needs to point where the data will end up (be installed), this is somewhat rigid and causing a few problems, we're considering options to make it less painful for the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

We really need to update the readme for linux to include some easy instructions to build and install it in the correct way.

When you turn PhysFS off, the datadir is not respected and it has to be next to the binary. Normally just setting the install prefix and 'make install' it should work just fine.
See (ignore the svn stuff):
Code: [Select]
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40718
You can also set the data directory at runtime when starting the program with '-datadir path'. But again PhysFS has to be enabled which is default.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 21:52:18 by filux »

cds

« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2010, 11:52:58 »
It still doesn't work !The windows showed me an error report message box!Why?

me5

« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2010, 16:28:06 »
My operating system is windows xp sp2 for Chinese.There is nothing in c:\documents and setting\~~~\glestadv\addons,I have the same question with hls .I just don't know how to solve it ,I don't understand your answer,thank you.
Having no files in the "addon" folder is no problem. But in "c:\documents and setting\~~~\glestadv\" there might be some files like "glestadv.log", "glestadv-error.log" or "gae-crash.txt" ... which may help us to help you.

It still doesn't work !The windows showed me an error report message box!Why?
Do you have this two files "stdout.txt" and "stderr.txt "  in the derectory where you installed GAE?

If you can not start GAE like silnarm told (by using the star-menu) maybe you should try to uninstall GAE and then install again and to start GAE like silnarm told.
(This is how it worked for me: I installed GAE on my hard drive and then just went to the start-menu and selected Glest Advanced Engine -> Glest Advanced Engine)

Good work guys! This is a really nice release!  :thumbup:

I did a quick test and here are some questions:

Have i to create map/faction folder or just paste the files
 (cause there are no folders)

Only "zip" or "7-zip" too?

Is it now possible to create a guy with a torch or a burning guy?

What about "giveHP()" where one can type the amount of health point in percent. Negative percent would remove health -> one command for two things
example: giveHP(unitid, -70) -> will remove 70 percent
giveHP(unitid, -100) -> will remove 100 percent (kill unit)
giveHP(unitid, 60) -> will heal the unit until 60 percent are reached

Will be a debug version released later or is it possible to use the luacommands in the Lua console of the normal/release version? (Still pressing enter and then begin the command with "~"  ?)

It seems like when a unit is slowed down (slow down effect) too much it increases the speed instead of decreasing it. (-> bufferoverflow  :confused:) When I play the towerdefence mod and build about 6 Frosttowers some units will be accelerated (after slowed down a lot) that much that it looks like they are beaming from one point to another.

One thing I don't like about the ingame-GUI is the bar above the resources maybe it would be better to remove the bar or do something like this. (maybe more transparent and thin it a little)
here is a quick sketch:
[URL=http://img808.imageshack.us/i/screen2w.png/][IMG]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/1116/screen2w.png[/img][/URL]
« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 21:58:25 by filux »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2010, 19:50:45 »
Thanks Silnarm, installed and working on win7  :D
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2010, 22:30:28 »
Yay, you finally did it!  :thumbup:
Now, it is easier to test...for future stuff.  :thumbup:

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2010, 23:10:09 »

Have i to create map/faction folder or just paste the files
 (cause there are no folders)
Yes, the addons/mods are meant to be self-contained and need to have the same folder layout as the base data. To get a better idea how it works and how the addons should look like, see:
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4658.msg37946#msg37946

Only "zip" or "7-zip" too?
Only zip. 7zip support is broken and disabled.

Yes, it should be possible in the same way as in MegaGlest.

It seems like when a unit is slowed down (slow down effect) too much it increases the speed instead of decreasing it. (-> bufferoverflow  :confused:) When I play the towerdefence mod and build about 6 Frosttowers some units will be accelerated (after slowed down a lot) that much that it looks like they are beaming from one point to another.
Could you provide a sample as download which shows this problem?

One thing I don't like about the ingame-GUI is the bar above the resources maybe it would be better to remove the bar or do something like this. (maybe more transparent and thin it a little)
here is a quick sketch:
[URL=http://img808.imageshack.us/i/screen2w.png/][IMG]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/1116/screen2w.png[/img][/URL]
Maybe we can hide this bar until one moves the mouse above the ui element.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 21:59:36 by filux »

Zoythrus

« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2010, 23:24:02 »
i downloaded the Windows installer, and it doesnt want to work. it installs, yes, but the game crashes immediately when i try to run it.

cds

« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2010, 01:01:44 »
It still doesn't work at all.
The error report :
AppName: glestadv.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: glestadv.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0    Offset: 0015b65c
there is some message in a stdout.txt file in c:\documents and settings\~~
:unknown argument: C:\Program Files\glestae 0.3\share\glestae\widget.cfg
That is why?

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2010, 03:00:04 »

Burning guy, yes... the torch will require some more engine work yet, and some work on a tool (might possibly use the G3D Viewer for this, or may make a new one).  It is on the cards for the not too distant future.

What about "giveHP()" where one can type the amount of health point in percent. Negative percent would remove health -> one command for two things
example: giveHP(unitid, -70) -> will remove 70 percent
giveHP(unitid, -100) -> will remove 100 percent (kill unit)
giveHP(unitid, 60) -> will heal the unit until 60 percent are reached
I'll modify damageUnit() so you can (optionally) give it a percentage, and add a repairUnit() to do the reverse.

Will be a debug version released later or is it possible to use the luacommands in the Lua console of the normal/release version? (Still pressing enter and then begin the command with "~"  ?)

Press the 'back quote' key without the chat dialog open :)  You even got your command history, although the 'edit box' could use some work...

I think I know what might be causing this, will 'fix' it, but there is a limit to how long skill cycles can be made, so it will 'clamp' the value (ie, after a unit has been slowed down a lot, extra slowing wont do anything).

here is a quick sketch:
Maybe we can hide this bar until one moves the mouse above the ui element.

Good idea, I was actually going to 'fix' the in game elements by default (and remove the 'title bar' handles completely) and only allow them to be moved with a config option.  That's probably something we should add, but even when it is set, I think I like the idea of only showing the borders when the mouse is over them (The resource bar and the display panel).

i downloaded the Windows installer, and it doesnt want to work. it installs, yes, but the game crashes immediately when i try to run it.

Greetings Zoy, do you get any log files in ~/glestadv/, or stdout.txt & stderr.txt in "/Program Files/glestae 0.3/" ??

The error report :
AppName: glestadv.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: glestadv.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0    Offset: 0015b65c
there is some message in a stdout.txt file in c:\documents and settings\~~
:unknown argument: C:\Program Files\glestae 0.3\share\glestae\widget.cfg

Is that the exact message ?? If so, something is seriously messed up, I recommend uninstalling, deleting ~/glestadv,  upgrading windows to sp3, and then reinstalling.

The stdout.txt file should be generated in /Program Files/glestae 0.3/ not in you user folder.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 22:00:38 by filux »

Timeline | Downloads

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2010, 05:05:57 »
Okay, so I've got two computers running Ubuntu 10.04.  Box A has no 3D acceleration and is useless for gaming, but will install and run this version at about 1fps.  The good news is that the installation works on this one.  Box B does have 3D acceleration and is quite nice for gaming, but I can't get this to run on it.  The installation seems to partially work, as I find the three new links in the applications menu, but no .glestadv directory in my home folder.  When I try to run the game, the editor, or the viewer, the system gets sluggish for a few moments as if working hard on something, and then nothing happens.  Box B is a fresh install from earlier today and I've installed physfs, but maybe I'm missing another dependency?

Edit: Well that was silly of me.  Installing Glest's dependencies (OpenAL, Xerces, and Lua) fixed it.  Will review shortly!
« Last Edit: 14 September 2010, 05:12:50 by John.d.h »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2010, 05:06:22 »
I think the installer is simply corrupt or something. After it finishes installing, it just looks like this...
[img]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5552/gaeafterinstalling.jpg[/img]so of course it will fail to run. (Well, I guess I can just compile myself if I want to test, but I guess this should still be fixed.)
Share has the GlestAE Contents, data and everything  while "bin" has the binaries.
Weird. No wonder it did not work for Zoy...
Oh yeah, and no shortcut was created...but that is related to the other problems, I think.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2010, 06:04:07 »
@John
Cool, glad to hear the deb packages work for others, I was only able to test them on one computer each.

[img]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5552/gaeafterinstalling.jpg[/img]
No, that is the correct contents for /Program Files/glest 0.3/

Oh yeah, and no shortcut was created...but that is related to the other problems, I think.
Ok... the 'create shortcut on desktop' check-box on the installer does indeed appear to be non-functional, but the links in the start menu should work ?

« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 22:01:30 by filux »

Timeline | Downloads

me5

« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2010, 09:00:44 »
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4658.msg37946#msg37946
Thanks for the link I forgot that one.

Could you provide a sample as download which shows this problem?
I found this prob while tinkering with my "mod". So if you're still interested you have to get my "mod" and play until you have more then 6 Frosttowers  :P  (https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4422.0)

Press the 'back quote' key without the chat dialog open :)  You even got your command history, although the 'edit box' could use some work...
command history How cool is that!  :o  (edit box looks OK)
Problem is the backquote does not work for me! (I installed GAE from the windows installer)
(What I do: start a scenario and then hit backqote)
OK I just changed the shortcut and now it works for me.
What have I to type in the lua-console to hilight a cell? (I tried "hilightCell(30,50)" but no luck)

When the debuginfo is turned on there is a line which says "PosObjWord" is it a typo? (-> "PosObjWorld")
« Last Edit: 14 September 2010, 09:54:13 by me5 »

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2010, 13:41:11 »
command history How cool is that!  :o  (edit box looks OK)
Problem is the backquote does not work for me! (I installed GAE from the windows installer)
(What I do: start a scenario and then hit backqote)
OK I just changed the shortcut and now it works for me.

Ok, I been playing around some more, there is a problem with hotkeys, after one of dialog boxes (game-menu, save, chat or lua-console) has been up and is dismissed, hotkeys aren't working for the next key-press.

The edit box looks ok, but there is no cursor, the only way to change something is with backspace, which isn't very convenient.

What have I to type in the lua-console to hilight a cell? (I tried "hilightCell(30,50)" but no luck)

Yep, 'debug' edition will be needed for that, as it uses the DebugRenderer which isn't compiled into the normal version.  I'm thinking the 'debug edition' will be called 'Developer Edition' from now on, and I will get a windows binary together for you at once :angel:

When the debuginfo is turned on there is a line which says "PosObjWord" is it a typo? (-> "PosObjWorld")

Wow, I can hardly believe I never noticed that one...

Edit: Developer edition for windows is available, see first post for link.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2010, 13:56:21 by silnarm »

Timeline | Downloads

me5

« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2010, 20:09:38 »
MANY THANKS for the 'Developer Edition' binary  :-*  :D but where to put that one and how to start it?
Tried to replace the normal exe with that one and to start over the start-menu but it does not work for me.

I tried to install GAE from the windows installer on an old machine and after installing I could not start it.
(tried to find a solution for the guys which could not start GAE)
The old machine has a "Radeon 9200SE" graphics and the machine says it has OpenGL 1.3... . I use on my "gaming machine" and the "old machine" the same os (XP SP2). On my "gaming machine" (OpenGL 2...) it just works fine . The old machine has only few programs installed so no dev tools like VC++ or such maybe GAE needs some of those??? (like missing some dependencies), Not only GAE does not start so does the mapeditor and the viewer (on old machine).

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2010, 21:51:24 »
[img]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5552/gaeafterinstalling.jpg[/img]
No, that is the correct contents for /Program Files/glest 0.3/
Oh...I thought it was wrong since if I ran glestadv it didn't work.

Ok... the 'create shortcut on desktop' check-box on the installer does indeed appear to be non-functional, but the links in the start menu should work ?
Weird, it did work in the start menu. But not if you go into bin and run glestadv from there.