Author Topic: MegaGlest 3.3.7 beta2 for MacOs X  (Read 10381 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
MegaGlest 3.3.7 beta2 for MacOs X
« on: 22 September 2010, 09:19:31 »
GeoVah made a first Megaglest 3.3.7 beta2 version for MacOs X
Please test and report here!

the macosx installer is here : http://fforjan.free.fr/MegaGlest/MegaGlest-3.3.7-beta2.dmg
And the patch against SVN rev 1015 for some update is here : http://fforjan.free.fr/MegaGlest/patch_1015/patch.beta2

This patch adds the MacOS X platform, add a main dedicated to macosx (no need of X11, add main menu) and update on the installer.
There is still some ongoing work on the installer area.

Regards,
GeoVah

( originally posted here: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5903.msg59799#msg59799 )

« Last Edit: 22 September 2010, 09:35:20 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

m0ellemeister

Re: MegaGlest 3.3.7 beta2 for MacOs X
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2010, 15:08:04 »
I've just downloaded and installed the dmg file and installed MG on my MacBook. If i try to start it, i just get an error report:

Code: [Select]

Process:         MegaGlest [321]
Path:            /Applications/MegaGlest.app/Contents/MacOS/MegaGlest
Identifier:      geovah.MegaGlest
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [166]

Date/Time:       2010-09-25 17:04:51.523 +0200
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          228453 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           5
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1
Anonymous UUID:                      667F2DD2-69FC-4AFC-A540-B3CBDCB53608

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.8.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/MegaGlest.app/Contents/MacOS/MegaGlest
  Reason: image not found

Model: MacBook4,1, BootROM MB41.00C1.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB, SMC 1.31f0
Graphics: Intel GMA X3100, GMA X3100, Built-In, 144 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x88), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.27)
Bluetooth: Version 2.3.3f8, 2 service, 12 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: FUJITSU MHY2160BH, 149,05 GB
Parallel ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GSA-S10N, 428,8 MB
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8501, 0xfd400000
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8205, 0x1a100000
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x022a, 0x5d200000
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0x5d100000

m0ellemeister

« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2010, 18:38:01 »
MegaGlest is running on my MacBook. I had to install missing libraries, libpng and libjpeg from here: http://ethan.tira-thompson.org/Mac_OS_X_Ports.html

GeoVah: Great work!  :thumbup:

Is it possible to embed these libs into the dmg Installer?

GeoVah

« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2010, 00:55:18 »
Thanks for the issue, the installer has been updated to embed the libpng :)

GeoVah

m0ellemeister

« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2010, 23:05:59 »
Last weekend i was playing MG together with my brother over LAN. He was playing on my MacBook and i was playing on my PCBSD Box. After some struggling with different versions of the game data we were playing over three hours without any difficulties at all. And my brother was playing several single player matches. The game ran stable.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2010, 23:13:47 »
Excellent! The latest patches from GeoVah were added to svn today so we should be all up to date in svn now too.

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2010, 22:32:18 »
This is fantastic news guys. I feel a little bad because I've been off the grid for a while, but thankfully someone has picked it up and run with it anyway! I'll test it in an "enterprise" install (at school) and see how it goes, but this is great.

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2010, 23:00:51 »
Where should the data library for MegaGlest be stored?

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2010, 00:05:27 »
What is meant by data library? The data archive? If you mean the data archive, then you simple extract it in the megaglest folder (where you have glest.ini etc)

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2010, 00:41:14 »
It doesn't quite work like that on a Mac, since the data is all bundled into the application. I need to know the path that the Mac application bundle is referring to - I know that KaSek's Mac glest didn't put the data in the right place for a Mac application and my dev bundle fixed that, but I don't know where this one puts it. It doesn't appear to be in the standard Mac place.

That said, if the code is compiling properly and everything, I'm happy to build the installer so that it behaves as a Mac application bundle should. That will only take me a couple of hours.

So in brief, where is the GlestData folder meant to be for this build to work?

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2010, 01:31:12 »
Ok all info is based on the root installation folder of mega-glest.  Ultimately we look for the game data subfolders in the root installation folder in their respective subfolders. This means the folders, maps, techs, etc should be under root folder where you have glest.ini. The folder locattion can be altered via an environment variable or a special setting in glest.ini (or glestuser.ini) which can be discussed if need be.

In Linux we install into:

~/megaglest

by default.

Does that help?

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2010, 02:52:08 »
Hey softcoder,

I'll be right if I need to go in and edit files (I'm a developer as well, remember? ;) ) but I'm just trying to find out how the application bundle has been created. My original plan was to contribute to the Mac OS X project and part of that included ensuring that the Mac bundle behaved like a Mac program - not a linux or windows one.

I'll have a look and see what I can find out - it just would have been handy (particularly for other Mac users without technical backgrounds) to include a step-by-step of where to download/install things (including the GlestData) so that the bundle would work. Mac bundles are meant to just be dragged out of the disk image, dropped into applications and just work. This doesn't operate like that and it requires you to also download the GlestData separately - that's what I'd like to avoid in future Mac bundles (although a discussion around what that means for download sizes etc obviously needs to be had).

There's nothing Mac users find more annoying than having to follow Windows/Linux conventions when using applications - it just feels 'dirty' :p

m0ellemeister

« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2010, 12:39:56 »
Hi Bruce,

i don't remember from the top of my head, but they should be located under ~/LIbrary/Application Support/MegaGlest

Tonight i'll check where i've installed the MegaGlest game data files on my MacBook.

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2010, 23:48:56 »
Excellent :)

The other thing I would like to see is all of the third-party libraries included in the source so that they end up in the installer package too. Ideally, the Mac version will have all third party frameworks included so that anyone can just download and click to play - if it doesn't work like that, getting Mac people on board with the game isn't going to be easy.

I'm looking at the svn code now and I'll see if I can get it working. I just need to know what 3rd party libraries aren't in the current trunk - it looks to me like Xerces is missing, as is SDL. Wasn't there also an issue with libpng/libjpg?

Bruce

« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2010, 01:40:38 »
An update on my progress with svn rev1106

I've installed all required 3rd party libs (from what I can tell the 3rd party libs required are Ogg, SDL, Vorbis, Xerces, libpng (all can simply be put in /Library/Frameworks/) and lua (which i downloaded/make/installed, since putting the lua library in frameworks didnt appear to work). It detects all required libraries fine but on build throws the following error for glest.bin:

ld: warning: in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/local/lib/liblua.a, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

So it looks as if we have an issue with lua and the project source (perhaps its the way I've installed lua? although it was downloaded and installed from the official website so *shrug*).

Anyway, since I can't build glest.bin, it won't build an executable version of the game. Any ideas why I'm getting this issue with lua, even though I'm building it according to the documentation for OS X?

I'll keep digging and see what I can find, but perhaps GeoVah can help me out?

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2010, 01:45:16 »
Are you trying to build the lua lib statically? the .a extesion would make me think so, perhaps you should likely it dynamically for better success?

Thanks

Bruce

« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2010, 02:10:50 »
There's still something else wrong too - even using the pre-compiled binary of beta3, I can't get it to execute. It still appears to be unable to find all of the game data - I've tried putting it all in /Library/Application Support/MegaGlest but it still doesn't work.

I'm clearly missing something really obvious - have we got a step-by-step, you've never had MegaGlest on your computer before, here's how to make it work on OSX? Downloading the .dmg file alone is not enough (since it doesn't include any of the game data) and without a clear guide to installation I don't know where to begin troubleshooting (since the error could be due to a range of things)

m0ellemeister

« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2010, 13:56:38 »
Hi Bruce,

i was wrong with the location of the game data files. On my MacBook they are located an: ~/Library/MegaGlest

I had same trouble with lua and other stuff. I used to install several libs from macports. Someone (i think tomryen) gave the hint to install libs like this:

port install <libname> +universal

I don't remember if i compiled lua by my self or took the version from macports or upstream.

Bruce, do you have SnowLeopard? If so, could you provide me with the OpenAL Framework? I made a mistake and installed the PowerPC Version.
I need the following folder:  /Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework
could you zip this folder and put it somewhere up?

Thx.

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2010, 16:15:16 »

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2010, 04:24:11 »
Well, it looks like after all of that, the problem was with the location of the game data files. I put them into the location you suggested m0ellemeister and it worked. Fantastic - I can now test at school with the kids...

There still seem to be some compilation issues (I'm having identical issues with MegaGlest and with GAE) so the next step will be ironing those out. I'd really like to get us at the point where all required libraries are actually sitting in the source code - that way, the libraries will be stored inside Glest and there won't be a need for anyone to download/install anything for it all to work. If we can get the OSX version relying on Frameworks and store them in PrvFrameworks in the XCode source, then point the XCode source to those libraries and have it include them in the application bundle, then we'll be well on the way to having a stand-alone, no dependency Mac OS X version (which is where we should be aiming to get to!). The final step then will be putting the Game Data in a more OS X place - we're close, but it really should be in /Library/Application Support/MegaGlest - that way it isn't user specific (i.e. all users on the machine use the same data) and the path is more typical of OS X applications.

As for the OpenAL Framework - the one I used is located here (https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/files/mac_dev_deps/OpenAL.framework.zip/download) and was on the GAE compile guide silnarm put together. Only thing is, I'm having issues with the GAE compilation too...

Ah well, we're getting closer :)

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2010, 12:43:42 »
There still seem to be some compilation issues (I'm having identical issues with MegaGlest and with GAE) so the next step will be ironing those out.
If you don't tell us we can't help. Better post a new thread for compile errors.

joeb1990

« Reply #21 on: 7 November 2010, 03:33:23 »
ok I'm a noob in every sort and cannot figure out what to do with all the files

I downloaded the data files from the original post and dont know where to put the folders (maps docs data etc.)
Also, MegaGlest cannot find glest.ini and have no idea how to generate or find this file thanks for any help you can provide.

As of now i have have everything in
~/Library/Megaglest/      
including glestkeys.ini and serverlist.ini but no glest.ini

UPDATE:Used error messages to manually create a glest.ini file but fonts are all messed up
« Last Edit: 7 November 2010, 03:58:23 by joeb1990 »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #22 on: 11 November 2010, 02:52:15 »
It would be better to start a new thread for every new issue, please do so in the future.
How are your fonts "all messed up"? A screenshot may help.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

macuser

« Reply #23 on: 1 January 2011, 19:50:34 »
Hello, I have started a new thread regarding error "Can't open propertyMap file: glest.ini" with MegaGlest 3.3.7.2 on a Macbook there.
Happy New Year to all of you!
« Last Edit: 1 January 2011, 20:05:25 by macuser »