Author Topic: Constellus [WIP]  (Read 62552 times)

Zoythrus

Constellus [WIP]
« on: 11 October 2010, 05:19:29 »
hello people! youve probably heard that Seanachaidh, Psychedelic_hands, wciow, Archmage, and I are making a mod. We call this mod Constellus.

Here's the story in a nutshell:
Constellus is a mod about two warring factions: the Crincillin and the Phorin. It all began when the Crincillin Empire started running out of the resources needed to maintain themselves. After years of searching for another planet to support them, they found one - this was Skepna VI. The planet was greatly abundant with resources, but it carried with it many tribes of hostile natives who had no interest in giving up their home. War then ensued...

If you want to see the two factions' original threads...
Crincillin: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5622.0
Phorin: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5728.0

if you want to know more (and i know you do), go here: https://docs.megaglest.org/constellus

now we have a pre-beta! here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?mzc1kzj3pc88aaq

the version that you get from the wiki is the latest released version! (sorry for the confusion, we will be fixing it all when the beta is done!)

PS. this is an beta, it in no way shows how stuff is going to be...its still being worked on!

PPS. this is a GAE-only mod. but, if you like mods that crash a lot, put it in your MG folder.

-Zoy
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:27:58 by filux »

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Constellus (new Alpha!) [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2010, 05:36:55 »
Note: This release doesn't work on Linux, due to capital letters.  I told Zoythrus about it on IRC, so he's working on it.  It should play just fine on Windoze, though.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2010, 10:37:20 »
Very good!  ;D
Though I still have a few constructive criticisms... (remember to make an awesome mod we need to be our own harshest critics.)Let's see if the community agrees with me.

1. The Power station is too large, it should be smaller than the CC.
2. The IPV needs to be smaller, I've notice once you build up enough, the screen is full of them.
3. The Bandit needs to be bigger or the Striker needs to be smaller, It is very strange why the range unit is bigger than the melee.
4. Personally I think the bandits sound effects are horrible, ( I know good ones are hard to find) But I do think it shouldn't be left like it is now.
5. I think all units should make a hovering sound when moving, right now it feels more like they're floating.
6.The Power Station doesn't really fit the curvy architecture, I think the outside walls just need to be arched.

I know I've mention a lot of these before, but it's good to remind you I think :)

(I've also updated the Phorin Thread, which I think you might want to look at.)

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2010, 12:26:28 »
oh P.S I know this probably isn't the mods fault, but it needs to be addressed. Most units go through each other and it looks pretty bad. Especially on the Power station.
Also, they loading screen is broken.

I'm loving it so far, awesome faction :D

Oh P.P.S, the music is awesome!

Zoythrus

« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2010, 14:20:02 »
ok people, i know that it isnt perfect, but were getting there  ;)

i just released a new version that should work with Linux etc, can i get a linux person to test it?

now, to answer Hands' concerns:
1.Yes, we know it's too big, i tried to resize it, but i dont know Blender! right now, the ingame size is correct, the model just isnt lined up yet.
2.Maybe a little smaller, although i do like the size it is now.
3.The Bandit does look a little on the small side...
4.You see, sounds are hard to find, and i tried to make it sound like it was slashing and hacking. so people, if you know of any good knife sounds...i need them.
5.i like this idea, but once again, i need good sounds.
6. Personally, i dont like the outer wall on the PS. but i have to use that model because Archmage made it. maybe we can remove the wall (sorry, Archmage).
7. as i previously stated, the guys go through the PS because it is the correct ingame size, its model isnt the same way...yet...

-Zoy

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2010, 19:39:04 »
still has some problems ...

in Linux still trouble with some filenames which are still with upcase letters ( but in the xmls they are not )
"medium infantry finished.tga" was in a subdirectory ( so I wonder if this would work in GAE!?!? )

2. its definitly GAE only
- I don't knwo why but all fighting units are marked as "amphius"
- it comes with two background musics
( basically thats why it is incompatible ) :)

3. Buildings/Units models are too big, which looks really ugly.

but it has nice particle systems!
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2010, 20:26:23 »
They all levitate, so they can go right over the water. ;)  I hope they spelled it "amphibious", though. :look:

Zoythrus

« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2010, 20:36:45 »
They all levitate, so they can go right over the water. ;)  I hope they spelled it "amphibious", though. :look:

the Crincillin infantry can go over water because they are so light (and their ability to hover of course). but guys like the assault tank and the uber unit cannot go over water because water isnt stable enough for their "repulsor" technology. The factions will have ways of transporting guys across water, in this case it's being able to hover.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2010, 18:37:36 by Zoythrus »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2010, 19:03:20 »
the last problems for linux ( I think one is not only linux related! ):

Command_center.tga   starts with upcase C!

Could not open file mydata/techs/constellus/factions/crincillin/units/striker/models/medium infantry finished.tga]
"medium infantry finished.tga" is not there! Its in a subdirectory and has wrong upcase letters too.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Zoythrus

« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2010, 21:28:55 »
ok, that's been noted. We're currently in the process of getting ready for this weekend's Super Secret Update. We'll release the mod with all those fixes this Saturday.

thank you for waiting...

also, all updates and info will be put on the Constellus forums; we dont want to clutter up the Glest forums.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2010, 23:42:04 »
ok, that's been noted. We're currently in the process of getting ready for this weekend's Super Secret Update. We'll release the mod with all those fixes this Saturday.

thank you for waiting...

also, all updates and info will be put on the Constellus forums; we dont want to clutter up the Glest forums.
Eww... PHPBB... :|

I would strongly recommend that you use the Glest forums. By using your own forum for merely a mod, you will LOSE audience. First of all, you lost me, since I don't have time to visit other sites just to read about the mod, and of course, I want to endorse the use of the Glest board, not 3rd party forums. ;D
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Gabbe

« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2010, 00:48:16 »
I like it so far, but really a new forum? :D I tried with amazons, but i gave up since it wasnt worth..

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2010, 01:24:33 »
You also need to restructure your archive a bit if you want it to be playable from the /addons folder.  Just make an empty folder called "techs", then put "constellus" into that, then zip.  Then you can just put the archive in addons and you're good to go.  No extraction necessary.

So it should be something like: contellus.zip/techs/contellus/factions, etc.

Zoythrus

« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2010, 01:28:35 »
well, we have a second forum because we dont want to clutter up this forum with discussions about the mod. we wanted to give each problem individual attention. also, we dont have a main site, so we thought that forums would be close enough. once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

@John, i'll keep that in mind, thank you!

Zoythrus

« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2010, 03:55:11 »
the new release is out!

check our forums!

Woo!!!!

Gabbe

« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2010, 04:35:38 »
So completely unecesarry to not have the link here in the glest forum...

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2010, 05:38:58 »
http://www.mediafire.com/?rhbpast85x7y2t0
Here.
Really what's the difference between having a small website and a small forum? No one has to post anything on there, it's just a easy way for us to post info up.

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 October 2010, 10:53:35 »
In your forum you mentioned that it should work as an addon for gae but it does not. The zip archive contains another zip.

Here's a working addon and i cleaned it up a bit (there were .rar and .blend files and other stuff in it):
http://www1.inf.tu-dresden.de/~s1445051/glest/addons/constellus.zip

I really like the artistic style of your mod. It looks really cool. Keep up the good work.

Zoythrus

« Reply #18 on: 18 October 2010, 13:42:25 »
thank you for cleaning that up, ygg. i was just told that you had to have something in a techs folder...im sorry that i didnt remember the whole process.

ok, i'll stop posting the links solely on the forums. but we will talk about stuff there, so feel free to see what we're doing!

also, we have decided to get rid of the weekly updates, it's too much. but, that's not an excuse to have it become vaporware, so our deadline for the Crincillin is Christmas. support is helpful...
« Last Edit: 18 October 2010, 14:07:31 by Zoythrus »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: 18 October 2010, 18:08:26 »
thank you for cleaning that up, ygg. i was just told that you had to have something in a techs folder...im sorry that i didnt remember the whole process.

ok, i'll stop posting the links solely on the forums. but we will talk about stuff there, so feel free to see what we're doing!

also, we have decided to get rid of the weekly updates, it's too much. but, that's not an excuse to have it become vaporware, so our deadline for the Crincillin is Christmas. support is helpful...
On a recent check, your forum had a mere 3 posts by the developers alone, and only 20ish views on the most popular topic. You'll get so much more downloads and publicy by using the glest boards. Oh, and actually describing the download than just linking to your site.

Seanachaidh

« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2010, 18:13:20 »
 ;D

Hey guys,

I'm just letting you guys know i'm still here, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth or anything.

I'm finally starting to organize myself a little better, the constant urging (read nagging) XD, has really helped me keep tings going, even if at a much slower pace than desired.

anyways, I'm going to try to be a little more active in the forums from now on, I'm not the best at lurking, so if you have a question, eiter about the mod, or about something else, please feel free to contact me via either PM, or on this thread or the other forum.

I'm going to be getting rid of the wall on the powerstation fairly soon here, just to let you guys know.

Seeya!!

Zoythrus

« Reply #21 on: 18 October 2010, 18:25:11 »

On a recent check, your forum had a mere 3 posts by the developers alone, and only 20ish views on the most popular topic. You'll get so much more downloads and publicy by using the glest boards. Oh, and actually describing the download than just linking to your site.

i might just take it down if people hate the forums so much! i was just trying to keep discussions about the mod from cluttering up the glest board. if i take it down (which i probably will), ill wait and see if the fan base becomes great enough to actually warrant a forum. Thank you for telling me.

now, i will be in the process of cleaning up the links and stuff, so give me a day or so to make it easier (tired of being linked to 5 different sites for a download?).

lastly, since the forums are going down, please restrict all discussion about the Crincillin and the Phorin to their respective threads. this thread is for updates and discussion about the mod in general. Thank you.

-Zoy

PS. any questions about the mod, like what we have planned and stuff?

Edit: the forum is dead...happy now?
« Last Edit: 18 October 2010, 18:38:32 by Zoythrus »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: 18 October 2010, 21:59:45 »
Request:
A proper description of the mod on the first post. :)

I'll probably hold off downloading until its a finished version... Downloading betas just burns up bandwidth ;).

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #23 on: 19 October 2010, 10:12:18 »
Request:
A proper description of the mod on the first post. :)

I'll probably hold off downloading until its a finished version... Downloading betas just burns up bandwidth ;).

Fair enough, I'll try and get some cool screenshots later of the Crincillin so you can see them more.

The aim of Constellus is to create a high quality mod with original elements. We are going to take advantage of most (if not all) GAE features (including some future ones). We have extensively planned out each faction and how they will play and feel; we're trying to implement original elements to their gameplay and story.

We plan to have a stand alone version which will eventually include.
-A (lengthy) campaign for every faction. (they will be very epic, trust me  ;D)
-At least one new tileset.
-a few good maps.
-A fully redone main menu.
But we will also upload just the factions that can be played in normal GAE ;)

Zoythrus

« Reply #24 on: 20 October 2010, 01:20:27 »
just made some bugfixes, so ive released 1.15. look at first post.

and, do you think i should write a page for this on the wikia? i tried, but didnt know how to start it correctly...
« Last Edit: 20 October 2010, 04:57:51 by Zoythrus »