Author Topic: Constellus [WIP]  (Read 62605 times)

Seanachaidh

Re: Constellus (new Alpha!) [WIP]
« Reply #100 on: 20 February 2011, 07:14:18 »
it's definetly something we can use, thanx!!

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #101 on: 1 March 2011, 22:44:56 »
i wouldnt go that far, the page that i wrote for Constellus is pretty good too.
Actually, technically it is. Yours is pretty nice, but once you add pictures the page will be messed up; so then you would have to create separate pages too...

Zoythrus

« Reply #102 on: 1 March 2011, 23:57:19 »
i wouldnt go that far, the page that i wrote for Constellus is pretty good too.
Actually, technically it is. Yours is pretty nice, but once you add pictures the page will be messed up; so then you would have to create separate pages too...

well, i plan on having separate pages as well, but i need pics first (we're redoing some of the texes, so we're holding off from new screenies and pics)
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 17:34:59 by filux »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #103 on: 2 March 2011, 00:05:05 »
I see, when do you think the next version of Constellus would be released? Also, after you're done re-texturing; I guess you can just use the MG G3D Viewer to take screenshots of those models/units in action.

Zoythrus

« Reply #104 on: 2 March 2011, 02:34:44 »
there are like, 3 more snags that we have to overcome before we can re-release it. but trust me, we are almost there!

Zoythrus

« Reply #105 on: 14 March 2011, 04:27:23 »
Hello again, people!

we now have a set re-release date! the 10th of April! we will do all in our power to give you all something really amazing by that date!

now, this is NOT the last update to the Crincillin, only one that will show you how far we've gotten since last release.

just wait a tad bit longer....you wont be disappointed!

-Zoy

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #106 on: 15 March 2011, 07:12:38 »
I'd just like to add, that this is a beta. Sometime after the merge the final product will be released. 8)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Zoythrus

« Reply #107 on: 15 March 2011, 16:41:51 »
keep in mind that the merge is going to take a huge amount of time to complete, that means that we'll attempt to make it for the last update to GAE then retrofit it later when the merge comes out.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #108 on: 20 March 2011, 04:25:36 »
Sorry for the Forth dev post in a row.... I don't mean to just keep bumping this... But we all have stuff to say  :|

Okay, there are a few more things we need to do basically I'm re-doing the Portal and gateway. I'm also modeling a new building called the Transmutor (name is still kinda open) and retexing the Analysis Engine ( which I've updated the model since last time). I've already re-done the Quantum reactor(Power Station)
(click to show/hide)
Feed back please!

Also Arch has to finish all the anims and Sean needs to finish all the Command Icons and then we're ready to go!

The gamplay of the Alpha was pretty terrible, but now I think it's one of the most strategical mods for glest. (I'm not just saying that btw :P) Because it's pretty different than most other RTSs out there, I want to try my hand at making a tutorial for the Crincillin before the Beta is released... but if I run out of time it may have to come a a separate download later....
We have a few maps ready with the beta aswell we already have to finished, but I'll we will get about 5 by the time the beta is done...
« Last Edit: 20 March 2011, 04:28:47 by Psychedelic_hands »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #109 on: 20 March 2011, 06:42:08 »
Looks good.

Sorry for the Forth dev post in a row.... I don't mean to just keep bumping this... But we all have stuff to say  :|
That's fine. Forums don't have to be for chat, but can be to announce continued updates. Keep up the good work.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Zoythrus

« Reply #110 on: 24 March 2011, 00:58:36 »
Sorry for the Forth dev post in a row.... I don't mean to just keep bumping this... But we all have stuff to say  :|
That's fine. Forums don't have to be for chat, but can be to announce continued updates. Keep up the good work.

we'd rather have some chat! sometimes it feels like we're talking to a really big wall.....

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #111 on: 24 March 2011, 02:53:16 »
In that case, allow me:

How far off completing the first faction are you?

What cool new game feature would you want the most to enhance this mod?

When you've finished everything you have planned so far, do you expect to add even more stuff in the future as new features become available?

If Lua AI was implemented, would you (or any of your devs) go through the trouble of learning how to use it in order to enhance your AI to the max?

In all honesty, you guys explain your updates so well that there isn't a whole lot to ask. And that's a good thing. ;)

Zoythrus

« Reply #112 on: 24 March 2011, 04:45:00 »
1. we have been redoing some of the models and animations, but we will get the Crincillin done by the 10th of April.
2. cool new feature? we have a slew of awesome features which havent been implemented, but the one im looking forward to most is resource trading and trade caravans.
3. yes, keep in mind that April 10th is when we will finish all we can do now. we will retrofit the game when stuff comes out.
4. you bet! Hands and i are going to try to make custom-tailored AIs, because right now the AI's dont handle the Crincillin too well.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #113 on: 24 March 2011, 05:26:48 »
Oh, and the kingpin: Are you gonna do some mass documentation on the Wiki including, say, unit pages for every unit, upgrade, and building? Don't forget to add the templates to the pages. I already did a few edits to the constellus and ex-orphaned crincillin remnant pages to link the two together, enhance the tables, and added the {{Faction}} template to the Crincillin page.

My Wikia Wishlist:
Page for every unit, upgrade, building, resource, and for the attack types of *every* techtree and faction, a page for every map, tileset, and scenario, full documentation for creating all of these, and more! Albeit, we're a long way from the goal, but still, we're getting there. Military has pages for about half its units by now, and once done, I will bring out the planned navboxes at the bottom (a la wikipedia) to link all the pages together. Yes, I am ambitious, no, I don't know when to stop (that's probably a good thing though).

Zoythrus

« Reply #114 on: 24 March 2011, 06:21:32 »
when we get the units more established, we'll make unit pages; same thing with buildings. but for upgrades, i may just make a "Crincillin upgrades" page because a tech that gives all dudes more HP doesnt need a whole new page.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #115 on: 24 March 2011, 08:20:50 »
My Wikia Wishlist:
Page for every unit, upgrade, building, resource, and for the attack types of *every* techtree and faction, a page for every map, tileset, and scenario, full documentation for creating all of these, and more! Albeit, we're a long way from the goal, but still, we're getting there. Military has pages for about half its units by now, and once done, I will bring out the planned navboxes at the bottom (a la wikipedia) to link all the pages together. Yes, I am ambitious, no, I don't know when to stop (that's probably a good thing though).

I just fixed up the faction pages just before, they could still do with lots of refinement though. Which I'll try to do later.
I guess after the beta we can do all that for the Cs, but much of the Phorin stuff may change in the soon'ish future, as the we still debate a lot about them  :P. So I guess after we maybe get a Phorin Alpha out.

If Lua AI was implemented, would you (or any of your devs) go through the trouble of learning how to use it in order to enhance your AI to the max?

The Lua AI, is something I'm really pumped for! It means we can finally make new interesting mods, that will actually play! Of course we'll try to use every feature possible in GAE as we can. We plan ahead for this kind of stuff.... infact sometimes I feel we're a little too demanding of the GAE devs (sorry silnarm) We have a list in the Constellus dropbox with feature requests which silnarm has kindly offered to help us out with (thanks a bunch!)
We have things like faction specific cursors, cloaking etc, already to go as soon as 0.4 is released.

When you've finished everything you have planned so far, do you expect to add even more stuff in the future as new features become available?

We have planed a lot, me and Zoythrus probably spent 70% of the time talking rather than actually doing work haha. We've probably planed a good year( or three ) worth of work already. But I'd prefer to plan out a good game, rather than just make a bad one.

Another thing I may aswell say seeings how it's on my brain at the moment, is our development cycle.
We haven't fully discussed it yet, but from our brief discussion this is what I've picked up. So far we've released the Crincillin Alpha, and we're working our way towards the Crincillin Beta.
Next on our list will be a Phorin Alpha, then a Phorin Beta. We're going to release them at separate stages, so we can focus on balancing it to to themselves first and making them as fun as possible. Once both factions are fully polished and fun to play, we'll release both factions together with many new units (in both factions) as a Constellus Alpha, to balance them together. They're both radically different from one another, so testing will be a LONG process to get the balance right. After they're balanced and polished we'll release a Constellus Beta, Then work on Campaigns and other "special" stuff will begin...

Just so I feel like I'm not just answering the same question Zoy has already, here's a pretty dodgy wall-paper of the logo I made. I'm hoping to get around to make a few decent ones later on, as I'm fairly interested in graphic design.
(click to show/hide)
I don't really know the proper size the average wallpaper should be, so I just made it massive haha. I'll try to post a new pic of... anything every post, because I like threads with pictures  :P.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2011, 09:23:51 by Psychedelic_hands »

Zoythrus

« Reply #116 on: 25 March 2011, 00:46:34 »
hey, Omega, ive been updating the pages for the factions, and soon i'll be making pages for the units themselves. anything you want me to discuss in particular?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #117 on: 25 March 2011, 03:58:24 »
Yes, I've seen some of the wiki pages. Looks good. I really like how you split the massive constellus page into the two faction pages.

And for Zoy, a few tips for unit pages:
  • Take a look at the Military Unit pages, as they are the most complete so far, and serve as a good example of using the Unit template. Note that the unit template is the first, and so far only, template to go completely independent of the Infobox template. This means it uses standard tables, and thus, I was able to make it so all attributes are optional. If you aren't using one of the attributes, feel free to exclude it.
  • Consider creating a new category "Constellus" for all constellus related pages, now that it will be growing to an amount sufficient for getting its own category. All constellus related pages can then be added to this category. Because its also a mod, they should exist in the "Mods" category as well. Unit pages should be in the "Units" category and upgrades in the "Upgrades" category. If you insert the page into the categories when you create the page, it becomes easier to manage.
  • Avoid starting pages with "The" unless it's completely necessary (eg: the meaning will change if excluded). For example, "Phorin Tribes", not "The Phorin Tribes".
  • Things you should have on your unit pages are: What the unit is best used for, how you obtain the unit, and optionally explaining any attacks or special commands the unit has. If the unit produces other units, you should list the units it produces, etc.

Other than that, have fun. :)
« Last Edit: 25 March 2011, 04:04:40 by Omega »

Zoythrus

« Reply #118 on: 25 March 2011, 05:23:48 »
im a fond reader of the C&C and Starcraft wikis, so i know how to write up unit pages. but thank you for reminding me of that stuff....

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #119 on: 26 March 2011, 06:52:52 »
With Military finally completed in documentation, I'd say make that your basis for layout and what not. As a note though, you shouldn't try adding a navbox until all pages are created.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #120 on: 26 March 2011, 10:14:28 »
Military pages look awesome!
Thanks for the advice, as soon as we're not so busy, I'm sure me and Zoy will try and get Constellus up to par.
I'll try to maybe make other pages to for other mods/maps/tilesets.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 26 March 2011, 20:29:31 »
Where is the Alpha download?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #122 on: 27 March 2011, 01:20:14 »
*Facepalm* The first post man.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 28 March 2011, 00:04:17 »
hello people! youve probably heard that Seanachaidh, Psychedelic_hands, wciow, Archmage, and I are making a mod. We call this mod Constellus.

Here's the story in a nutshell:
Constellus is a mod about two warring factions: the Crincillin and the Phorin. It all began when the Crincillin Empire started running out of the resources needed to maintain themselves. After years of searching for another planet to support them, they found one - this was Skepna VI. The planet was greatly abundant with resources, but it carried with it many tribes of hostile natives who had no interest in giving up their home. War then ensued...

If you want to see the two factions' original threads...
Crincillin: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5622.0
Phorin: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5728.0

if you want to know more (and i know you do), go here: https://docs.megaglest.org/constellus

If you want the mod (works in the GAE addons folder):
http://www.mediafire.com/?sxwxb5bdvdv09xb

I'd tell you everything i did between 1.16 and 1.2, but i lost track....

PS. this is an alpha, it in no way shows how stuff is going to be...its still being worked on!

PPS. this is a GAE-only mod. but, if you like mods that crash a lot, put it in your MG folder.

-Zoy
Is this the download? If so you should update the first post to say something more detailed like:

DownLoad Here

Are the authors Zoythrus and Psychedelic_hands?
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 19:56:10 by filux »
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #124 on: 28 March 2011, 01:16:01 »
Whatever, guys... Doesn't even really matter.
Are the authors Zoythrus and Psychedelic_hands?
They were the original authors.

anything