Author Topic: Japanese Faction mod [WIP] V0.89a released! (9 December 2011)  (Read 163666 times)

Zoythrus

Re: Japanese Faction mod [WIP] First Alpha Released!
« Reply #150 on: 12 November 2010, 06:08:20 »
i think you need to make a Swedish faction, and an Arabic faction...that would shake up the mold...

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #151 on: 12 November 2010, 06:38:24 »
OK I "temporarily" fixed it...but I have a feeling that when we include the information for the units/buildings, it'll be messed up again... I don't know/forgot what's the problem with the spacing on the wiki...
Also, sooner or later, don't forget to link the Japanese wiki page on the first post.

Future opposing faction: whatever...let's just focus on the current faction here...

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #152 on: 12 November 2010, 07:18:27 »
Thank you ultifd!
hmn..maybe we must wait add more information for the units/buildings till next release.
coz I will add many changes in the unit's names and some features(for example,I have removed paddyfield.Now you have to just produce peasants from peasant_house,and they will produce foods automatically).meanwhile,I'll study more about editing wikis.

for the future opposing faction,I'm thinking it might be interesting create Germany at 30-years war period.Its timeline is close to japanese sengoku period,and there are plenty of ubercool units in the Germany at that era!(Pikemen,Musketeer,Cuirassiers,Reiters,Culverins,Mortars...).Of course I'll focus on the current faction for the time being though... 8).
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #153 on: 12 November 2010, 07:28:44 »
(for example,I have removed paddyfield.Now you have to just produce peasants from peasant_house,and they will produce foods automatically).
:/ I think that is even worse. Paddyfields weren't even that bad, just a new concept. I hope that you got something else in mind later...  :-\

Germany: Interesting. Hopefully none of the Germans here will be offended later. (for any reason, not sure how yet)

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 12 November 2010, 07:46:45 »
(for example,I have removed paddyfield.Now you have to just produce peasants from peasant_house,and they will produce foods automatically).
:/ I think that is even worse. Paddyfields weren't even that bad, just a new concept. I hope that you got something else in mind later...  :-\
yeah,I feel a bit regret about it,but it's concept was a bit confusing indeed,and AI often builds peasant_houses than build paddyfields.also,in some ways,It become more realistic now.coz we didn't really need to produce many peasants at last version.but now you have to produce many peasants to keep food supply,and when at emergency,you can morph those peasants to soldiers at the expense of food supply.though If i came up with more better ideas,I'll reconsider the feature again.

Germany: Interesting. Hopefully none of the Germans here will be offended later. (for any reason, not sure how yet)
Certainly ;D.

Japanese Faction Mod

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #155 on: 12 November 2010, 07:59:59 »
Hmmm, German? it would be cool... but I still think a another Asian faction would be better.What about Mongolian? I love Mongolian history and style. I know there wasn't actually a time when the Mongolians fought the Japanese. ( I know they were close, but a storm destroyed their ships.)

But it would still make more sense than German.  :|
« Last Edit: 12 November 2010, 08:02:15 by Psychedelic_hands »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #156 on: 12 November 2010, 08:06:15 »
yeah,I feel a bit regret about it,but it's concept was a bit confusing indeed,and AI often builds peasant_houses than build paddyfields.also,in some ways,It become more realistic now.coz we didn't really need to produce many peasants at last version.but now you have to produce many peasants to keep food supply,and when at emergency,you can morph those peasants to soldiers at the expense of food supply.though If i came up with more better ideas,I'll reconsider the feature again.
Yeah, I remember that AI problem. I just feel that this method is not that good... :/ heh, now I'll just have peasants standing around everywhere  :O , as I don't think I'll ever upgrade them, at least usually. It'll be kinda different, as peasants are human while usually "Glest food" is gotten from animals.
Meh...let's hope that someone thinks of something better...  :-\

Zoythrus

« Reply #157 on: 12 November 2010, 16:00:59 »
i was thinking, a nice opponent for the Japanese and the Germans would be the Zulus. i mean, they were fighting Europe at this time, so they actually had a presence in the world.

the way i see it, the Zulus would be the opposite of the Japanese - lots of cannon fodder. while the Japanese have powerful and flexible infantry, the Zulus have really fast/low armored infantry. i think it could work.

also, at this time in history, European powers were using observation balloons. that means that Germany should have the only aircraft in the game. that would give a huge sight bonus, as well have an okay attack.

this is going to be the coolest historical mod ever!

Gabbe

« Reply #158 on: 12 November 2010, 16:08:33 »
The observation baloon cannot attack? Atleast have the handcannon its gonna use be an upgrade so that the early game wont unbalance.

Zoythrus

« Reply #159 on: 12 November 2010, 16:12:46 »
The observation balloon cannot attack? At least have the hand cannon its gonna use be an upgrade so that the early game wont unbalance.

ok, nice idea. i was assuming that the man inside the basket would use a musket, like the rest of the infantry.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 12 November 2010, 19:31:37 »
The maker of this mod has expressed no interest in working on another mod until this one is finished, so let's let the man work, shall we?  If you want to start a new thread about "factions that would be interesting to make", then feel completely free to do so.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #161 on: 13 November 2010, 00:52:36 »
I played this in multiplayer today and it was really really fun! The first game we lost after about 30 minutes of playing!
The second we won  :-* .We played coop in conflict vs 2 CPU ultras!

I think the arquebuser is a bit too strong or too cheap at the moment. Make them a bit more expensive. If you get too many of them( like 20 ) the game is over ... you won . BUt Maybe I am wrong and I just didn't played enough yet  ;D
« Last Edit: 13 November 2010, 00:57:31 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Zoythrus

« Reply #162 on: 13 November 2010, 01:14:23 »
personally, the way i see it, the arquebuser needs to be more expensive, and get a bonus against infantry. the archer fills an anti-building role, dealing far more damage to buildings than the arque.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #163 on: 13 November 2010, 01:25:04 »
Heh, it does seem need to be more expensive,but I think we need to wait for the next update to see if it really needs it. After all, there will be updates and new units...

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 13 November 2010, 05:45:12 »
Hmmm, German? it would be cool... but I still think a another Asian faction would be better.What about Mongolian? I love Mongolian history and style. I know there wasn't actually a time when the Mongolians fought the Japanese. ( I know they were close, but a storm destroyed their ships.)

But it would still make more sense than German.  :|
haha,exactly. :D
a german faction occured  to me coz I like their history and gamings dealing german at 30-years war period are very rare.so I dreamed up making about it.Mongolians are more appropriate for the faction indeed,but they are Nomad.It might be difficult to represent their culture on the game.but I'll think about it.

Yeah, I remember that AI problem. I just feel that this method is not that good... :/ heh, now I'll just have peasants standing around everywhere  :O , as I don't think I'll ever upgrade them, at least usually. It'll be kinda different, as peasants are human while usually "Glest food" is gotten from animals.
Meh...let's hope that someone thinks of something better...  :-\
No,they are not just standing around,but now they are swinging hoes while they are idle.
Code: [Select]
[URL=http://img521.imageshack.us/i/peasants.png/][IMG]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9928/peasants.th.png[/img][/URL]still a bit weird sight though... :|
paddyfields are gone,but Imagine they are still cultivating their land.also,you can get 25% discount when you upgrade them to soldiers.I also had once saved myself from danger in vs AI game, to morph them instant soldiers.It's not so bad feature,I think.but I must admit still a better idea is needed.

to Zoy and gabbe,
about Zulus and German observation balloon idea,I must mention that first airballoon flight was done by Montgolfier brothers in 1782,as far as my memory was correct.it's almost 150years later from german 30-years war period,it's kinda too modern.but zulus are a bit interesting idea to have such african tribes in game,I think.(I know almost nothing about them thuogh).

I felt sort of fun about discussing these future plans,but after all,as John said,It might better to discuss about these future opposing faction at the another thread. :angel: yeah I must concentrate about current project.

I played this in multiplayer today and it was really really fun! The first game we lost after about 30 minutes of playing!
The second we won  :-* .We played coop in conflict vs 2 CPU ultras!

I think the arquebuser is a bit too strong or too cheap at the moment. Make them a bit more expensive. If you get too many of them( like 20 ) the game is over ... you won . BUt Maybe I am wrong and I just didn't played enough yet  ;D

Much obliged,herr!I feel delightful to you have enjoyed my mod. :D
about Arquebuser's attack,I'll think lower their attack a bit.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2016, 19:31:00 by filux »

Japanese Faction Mod

Zoythrus

Re: Japanese Faction mod [WIP]
« Reply #165 on: 13 November 2010, 05:55:11 »
NO! dont lower the attack, raise the cost. the guns should stay powerful, dont nerf them whatever you do.

and, have you checked out the wiki lately?

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 13 November 2010, 06:11:03 »
hmn,I also feel a bit shame for these gunners shoot down samurais easily -even though it's realistic-.
and they mustn't be so expensive and elite units.these arquebusers were organized quickly and largely in the later sengoku period,as a easy to train and expendable soldiers.

I've checked wiki after i read your post,those cool description about units were wrote by you?Thank you for really nice descriptions! ;D I think your description depicts their traits properly. :thumbup:

Japanese Faction Mod

Zoythrus

« Reply #167 on: 13 November 2010, 06:16:36 »
i think the Samurai should be demi-uber units. ones that have a special pop cap of 3. like, each one is EXTREMELY impressive, but take lots of resources and training time to make (but you get what you paid for)

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #168 on: 13 November 2010, 06:20:19 »
No,they are not just standing around,but now they are swinging hoes while they are idle.
still a bit weird sight though... :|
paddyfields are gone,but Imagine they are still cultivating their land.also,you can get 25% discount when you upgrade them to soldiers.I also had once saved myself from danger in vs AI game, to morph them instant soldiers.It's not so bad feature,I think.but I must admit still a better idea is needed.
I guess that's a bit better. But yes, later we still need a better idea.
25% discount? sounds good, I guess in emergencies players could use it...I wonder if the cpus would ever use it.

hmn,I also feel a bit shame for these gunners shoot down samurais easily -even though it's realistic-.
and they mustn't be so expensive and elite units.these arquebusers were organized quickly and largely in the later sengoku period,as a easy to train and expendable soldiers.
I think lowering their attack should be ok (but 200 should be the least (I think, for now)), and will be better so it'll be balanced later on...Really hard to decide for now...guess we'll have to wait for the next alpha :)

Zoythrus

« Reply #169 on: 13 November 2010, 06:24:39 »
I think lowering their attack should be ok (but 200 should be the least (I think, for now)), and will be better so it'll be balanced later on...Really hard to decide for now...guess we'll have to wait for the next alpha :)

well, think about it, it's a gun - guns are FAR more lethal than arrows. i think they should nearly kill all infantry except the samurai and ninja in one or two hits.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #170 on: 13 November 2010, 06:28:11 »
well, think about it, it's a gun - guns are FAR more lethal than arrows. i think they should nearly kill all infantry except the samurai and ninja in one or two hits.
There's that reason...but there other reasons for not making them like that. Anyways, as I said, we should wait for the next alpha, as it will help decide whether or not to change...anything. Who knows? It might change a lot of peoples' opinion.

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 13 November 2010, 06:36:10 »
well,maybe we can compromise about arquebusers to lower their attack-rate and not lower their attack strength.
It's rather historical,in fact,first i made them,their attack speed was just a 15!(though their fire power was more lethal than current version's).

Japanese Faction Mod

Zoythrus

« Reply #172 on: 13 November 2010, 06:38:55 »
i would prefer the deadly, but slow recharge rate concept

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #173 on: 13 November 2010, 06:47:29 »
well,maybe we can compromise about arquebusers to lower their attack-rate and not lower their attack strength.
It's rather historical,in fact,first i made them,their attack speed was just a 15!(though their fire power was more lethal than current version's).
That's sounds like something good...but I'm not sure. I really think that we can't really decide what's best for them, until we test them in the next alpha. So until then. :thumbup: After all, we'll test it then. Also their attack kinda sounds like a miniature cannon :/ (the one in this faction of course)...

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 13 November 2010, 20:43:05 »
That's sounds like something good...but I'm not sure. I really think that we can't really decide what's best for them, until we test them in the next alpha. So until then. :thumbup: After all, we'll test it then. Also their attack kinda sounds like a miniature cannon :/ (the one in this faction of course)...
yep,I'll rush to making next release! :scientist:
and when you said "minature cannon",I felt a bit funny about this.
coz Japanese had actually "minature cannon" type firearms,called "大筒(Oodutsu,large pipe)".
Code: [Select]
[img]http://6090.img.jugem.jp/20060809_150708.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.og-bunka.or.jp/event/other/2006/img/gun/01_ozutsu.jpg[/img]

Maybe I might better to made these cannons instead of european style cannon. :|
« Last Edit: 27 September 2016, 19:31:27 by filux »

Japanese Faction Mod

anything