Author Topic: Japanese Faction mod [WIP] V0.89a released! (9 December 2011)  (Read 163823 times)

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
Re: Japanese Faction mod [WIP] V0.89a released! (9 December 2011)
« Reply #500 on: 14 December 2011, 19:52:45 »
Thank you for the playing report and issue notices, titi! :thumbup:
- Nagae Ashigaru has different standing animations which obviously have different start states which doesn't look good. And there is one animation where his head grows .... this looks strange.
I see, this can be fixed easily. I'll try.

- The smoke particle texture does not look really good, I bet you can do better ;-) .
Do you mention about the smoke texture itself(smoke_particle.bmp)? then, this is also can be improved easily, I'll try.

- About the missing texture tomreyn mentioned above. When I uploaded the japanese mod to the mod menu I called megaglest with the option for remove all unneeded files form the japanese techtree. Maybe this did something wrong?
I had no time to check if its in your original  package too.
Maybe not. I'm sure I've deleted the texture by myself before I upload the new 7z.
Perhaps some of the g3d files of Teppo ashigaru or Taketaba Gunner still contains the mesh of the previous muzzleflare. I'll check them and re-export all g3d files without muzzleflare meshes.
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #501 on: 9 January 2012, 05:07:32 »
I actually like the looks of the smoke/dust which shows up when a building was destroyed, but ths can be just me. ;)

Hagekura, did you have any time to work on the missing texture, yet?

I must say I really, really, like the Japanese techtree, it's so much fun to play, nicely looking and a very different gameplay. The A.I. doesn't play it so well, yet, though. If I recall correctly Softcoder has added something which allows for hinting on what the CPU players should primarily produce, maybe this would help it a little to build some of the more useful units later in the game.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #502 on: 9 January 2012, 17:50:32 »
The AI does not play it so well????
Try to beat a japanese ultra faction with 2.0 multiplier. You will be pretty busy!

We really played this a lot in multiplayer games yet. I think this is the first mod which nearly everyone has installed and its heavily used in multiplayer. I think I played it in more than 30 ( maybe 50? ) times in multiplayer games and its really fun.
The only not so good thing I saw was that "uuu" ( a very good player! ) used the bombing guys again to knock out the AI players main building :-/ . I don't know how to fix this, but some suggestions:

- less powerful bombs
- faster archer shots
- slower shinobies
- another building whch stores enough gold/stone/wood to build a new main building.

Btw I remember one very big battle where I lost my main building, but I was still producing tons of archers, because I still had the Daimyo Yashiki. Hard to handle becasue you can only store enough gold/wood to create 2 archers, but interisting  ;) . Thank you for this mod!

update: maybe limit the number of cannons to 5?
« Last Edit: 9 January 2012, 18:22:10 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Mr War

« Reply #503 on: 9 January 2012, 18:46:35 »
Cannon will become more 'normal' when Ming is played alongside Japanese.

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 10 January 2012, 07:01:45 »
Thanks for the reports tomreyn and titi! I'm encouraged!

I actually like the looks of the smoke/dust which shows up when a building was destroyed, but ths can be just me. ;)

Hagekura, did you have any time to work on the missing texture, yet?

I must say I really, really, like the Japanese techtree, it's so much fun to play, nicely looking and a very different gameplay. The A.I. doesn't play it so well, yet, though. If I recall correctly Softcoder has added something which allows for hinting on what the CPU players should primarily produce, maybe this would help it a little to build some of the more useful units later in the game.
I'm glad you like the bulding destroyed dusts. :) I'll try to make it looks more better.
In fact I'm already using ai-behavior option added to mg by softcoder already. You can see it in the faction's xml. but I must admit that more tweaks about it is required.

>>titi
Okay, I'd better reduce shinobi's bomb strength and it's speed a bit.
Personally I don't want to restrict numbers of cannons.

btw I've improved smoke perticle texture by following your previous request.

Now it looks more smoother than before. I hope you'll like it. Danke!

Cannon will become more 'normal' when Ming is played alongside Japanese.
Certainly. ;D I can't wait to the new release of the ming including cannons.

Japanese Faction Mod

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #505 on: 13 January 2012, 11:04:56 »
The AI does not play it so well???? Try to beat a japanese ultra faction with 2.0 multiplier. You will be pretty busy!

It IS strong for sure, and a Mega Japanese is very hard to beat. What I referred to is that AI builds too many standard bearers and the quick small brown guys with the slingshots (those are good early but not so much later in the game). It also continues to produce archers when the bullet shooting guys (Teppo Ashigairu?) are available. But it's true this is not a problem at all since Japanese CPU is surely strong enough an opponent already.

- less powerful bombs

I don't think this is strictly neccessary. You just need to build a second main building on time and place your buildings around the main building wisely and keep some troops there to defend (especially the slingshot guys). I think it's fine that if an attacker can make it to bring four shinobi with full EP next to the opponents main building that he can destroy it. Since controlling Shinobi is hard running such an attack takes quite some time you could otherwise spend on producing units and making upgrades, so by attacking Shinobi style you actually fall behind in other terms. And the probability that your Shinobi get destroyed during an attack is pretty high. You could make them a little bit more expensive, but that's all I'd change there.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

TotalNoob

« Reply #506 on: 14 January 2012, 16:15:38 »
I agree with tomreyn. You just have to think also about defence not only attack. This makes game more interesting.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #507 on: 17 January 2012, 23:39:56 »
Well maybe they are right. The bombing is not that easy and a fun detail.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Kiko

« Reply #508 on: 21 January 2012, 11:54:36 »
My first post in the Glest forums, so Hi to everyone.

I just want to thank all of you who work hard on MegaGlest and GlestAE for a superb (and free!) game system. Also, Hagekura's Japanese Faction makes the whole thing absolutely awesome. If I'd paid for a commercial game and got that, I'd have been very happy with my purchase.

Looking around the forums I see some requests for feedback on mods, engines, testing,etc., so I'll try to help out where I can. I have some thoughts on MG and GAE with regard to the JapFac (but will post notes about engines in other threads). As you can probably tell, I love the JapFac . Here are some of my thoughts as a Glest newbie;
  • GAE runs faster on my dual-core PC under Vista (home premium), but JapFac only works on MG. How hard would it be to make it work on GAE?
  • Another major reason for using GAE is that it can save a game. I only play CPU games, and games with the JapFac can become complex on large maps and really need saving so I get to eat now and then!
  • I can't do mods, but would love to see some women in the JapFac. I know historically mainly men did the fighting, but perhaps something like one of the other factions where there's a woman who can gather sticks (wood)? Also, they could have a small field of vision and use a knife with minor hit points, so they only attack when they're close, and do 'helper' damage rather than be deadly..? Just a thought (though I have no idea how much work it might involve).
In case anyone else new to Glest and the JapFac mod reads this, you absolutely must try it with the Great Wall map and the Bamboo Forest tileset – it's just amazing. The visuals, music and sound effects work together to suck your imagination into the whole era. Plus, as the resources are scattered, it demands exploration (go Shinobi!) and strategic resource management.

Many thanks again to all!
« Last Edit: 21 January 2012, 12:37:48 by Kiko »

Kiko

Japanese Faction mod + GAE (hopefully!)
« Reply #509 on: 21 January 2012, 21:28:06 »
I've hacked around in the JapFac to try and get it to run under GAE, with some pointers from Omega at this post. However, all I've done so far is break it – understandably. If anyone has the time and inclination to offer some advice on the following error output I'd be grateful.

I can see that there are Float values which should be Int; I read about that in the engine differences wiki page. One that's confusing though is the missing tga image file;

Error loading techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/castle/models/muzzleflash.tga
   PHYSFS_openRead failed: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/castle/models/muzzleflash.tga

That image isn't in the original JapFac download, and a file scan on my GAE and MG folders says it doesn't exist anywhere. Maybe I'm just tired and dumb, or maybe the error isn't what it appears to be..?

EDIT: I've just searched inside all Japanese mod files, and it's the .g3d files which contain references to muzzleflash.tga – am I seeing the load errors because some of the animations aren't now loading? Is the image inside one or more animation files..?

The ParticleSystem file load errors don't make sense, as the particle XML files are there as before. I haven't deleted any files at all, just modified the XML for the units to remove multiple animations where they existed and leaving just one.

Glest is certainly an amazing system, as I'm already seeing from the XML code.

Glest Advanced Engine: Error log file.
Code: [Select]
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/barrack/barrack.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/barrack/../daimyo_yashiki/sakura_particles_daimyo.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/barrack
Error converting from string to int (base = 10), found: 0.6
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/buddhist_temple/buddhist_temple.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/buddhist_temple/sakura_particles_temple.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/buddhist_temple
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/daimyo_yashiki/daimyo_yashiki.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/daimyo_yashiki/sakura_particles_daimyo.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/daimyo_yashiki
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/european_trader/european_trader.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/european_trader/../daimyo_yashiki/sakura_particles_daimyo.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/european_trader
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/ikki_mob/ikki_mob.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/ikki_mob/sakura_particles.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/ikki_mob
Error converting from string to int (base = 10), found: 0.3
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/medical_priest/medical_priest.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/medical_priest/heal_particles.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/medical_priest
Error converting from string to int (base = 10), found: 0.1
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/nagae_ashigaru/nagae_ashigaru.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/nagae_ashigaru/sakura_particles.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/nagae_ashigaru
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/peasant/peasant.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/peasant/sakura_particles.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/peasant
Error loading techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/castle/models/muzzleflash.tga
PHYSFS_openRead failed: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/castle/models/muzzleflash.tga
Error: The system cannot find the file specified.
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/watchtower/watchtower.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/watchtower/sakura_particles_watchtower.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/watchtower
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/worker/worker.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/worker/sakura_particles.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/worker
XML Error in techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/yagura/yagura.xml:
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/yagura/sakura_particles_watchtower.xml
Error loading ParticleSystem: techs/japanese/factions/japanese/units/yagura

Edit by Omega: Added [code] tags
« Last Edit: 22 January 2012, 03:47:31 by Omega »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #510 on: 22 January 2012, 03:43:45 »
Most of these are pretty easy. For the particle issues, it's because GAE requires that particle emission is an integer (that is, no decimals), while MegaGlest uses a float (decimals allowed). Replace those numbers with the lowest possible GAE alternative, 1, to fix that problem. Naturally, some of the particles may seem a bit fast because of that, but until GAE supports a float for emission rate, it's the best that can be done.

As for the PhsyFS errors, they are telling that the file either does not exist or could not be read correctly. Tom reported the file was missing a bit back, but it shouldn't be a fatal error in either engine (GAE replaces missing textures with a beautiful purple poka-dotted texture). While they are errors, they shouldn't cause a crash, and can be ignored once the first problem above is solved. If the error really bother you, you could, of course, create a blank texture of the same name in that folder, but it's not necessary. Not sure what the texture was for, but most likely isn't really seen, as nobody noticed until Tom pointed it out.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Kiko

« Reply #511 on: 22 January 2012, 04:18:49 »
Most of these are pretty easy ... Replace those numbers with the lowest possible GAE alternative, 1, to fix that problem. Naturally, some of the particles may seem a bit fast because of that, but until GAE supports a float for emission rate, it's the best that can be done.

That'll do fine as long as I can save my games, Omega. It's ok with the particles off, although I find things like the Japanese Warrior Monks carrying torches kind of cool.

As for the PhsyFS errors, they are telling that the file either does not exist or could not be read correctly ... Not sure what the texture was for, but most likely isn't really seen, as nobody noticed until Tom pointed it out.

I'll try substituting another file and see what happens. Cheers for the help, oh, and for editing my post and using code tags (which I'll remember to do from now on).

Happy, happy, joy, joy! I've got the JapFac loading fine in GAE. The particle emission being a float value was the main problem as Omega said, along with multiple animations. So...

I want to test the animations to be sure I've left 'the most appropriate' ones in (where there were multiples for MG). Then all I'll need to do is upload the zipped folders containing the XML files to these forums. I don't see how to do that yet, so I may need moderator permission..?

I'm so chuffed with this, as GAE runs much smoother on my old-ish machine, and also is great for saving single-player games. Once I'm sure this plays ok without crashing, I'll tackle the Ming mod (so cool to be able to train the peasants in kung-fu and have them fight back).

Would a moderator care to tell me what's best to do regarding an upload? Thanks.

Edit by Omega: Merged double post
« Last Edit: 22 January 2012, 07:10:08 by Omega »

Kiko

Faction merging
« Reply #512 on: 22 January 2012, 06:17:16 »
I don't think this is too off topic... Maybe I did something wrong, but someone suggested merging the Japanese and Ming techs in MG by copying one into the other's folder. I did this various ways (spent a bit of time playing around) and all I got was CTD. I don't see any instructions for newbies on merging factions easily – are there any..?

Zoythrus

Re: Faction merging
« Reply #513 on: 22 January 2012, 06:20:59 »
I don't think this is too off topic... Maybe I did something wrong, but someone suggested merging the Japanese and Ming techs in MG by copying one into the other's folder. I did this various ways (spent a bit of time playing around) and all I got was CTD. I don't see any instructions for newbies on merging factions easily – are there any..?

well, first, this is off topic. if you're not going to chat about the topic, create a new one. second, i'd think that Hage is going to combine them eventually. when it comes to merging them, just follow the error messages (it may take you a while)
-Zoy

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #514 on: 22 January 2012, 06:29:22 »

OFF-TOPIC:
(click to show/hide)

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: 22 January 2012, 06:49:12 »

OFF-TOPIC:
(click to show/hide)
Ditto OFF-TOPIC:
(click to show/hide)

Japanese Faction Mod

Kiko

« Reply #516 on: 22 January 2012, 06:56:50 »
Yeah I made JP faction works both for GAE and MG before, but currently MG has some very important unique features that I think important, so I'm making the faction specialty for MG for now.

I just got the JapFac working again for GAE Hage, and posted a question about uploading it here.

Many thanks for your help!

Zoythrus

« Reply #517 on: 22 January 2012, 07:05:53 »

OFF-TOPIC:
(click to show/hide)
Ditto OFF-TOPIC:
(click to show/hide)
Fixed*

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #518 on: 22 January 2012, 07:12:40 »

OFF-TOPIC:
(click to show/hide)
Ditto OFF-TOPIC:
(click to show/hide)
More off-topic ;)
(click to show/hide)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #519 on: 22 January 2012, 07:14:57 »
I want to test the animations to be sure I've left 'the most appropriate' ones in (where there were multiples for MG). Then all I'll need to do is upload the zipped folders containing the XML files to these forums. I don't see how to do that yet, so I may need moderator permission..?

Would a moderator care to tell me what's best to do regarding an upload? Thanks.
To upload, use a site such as Mediafire to host the file. Also, we recommend using a format such as 7zip to compress the files instead of zip (works the same way, but far smaller filesize, making faster uploading and downloading). The 7zip program can do that on windows. I'd also recommend you use the addons format of folder structure. Together, these two factors would ensure the mod could be used as an addon in GAE without needing to extract it.

More information:
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:16:12 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Kiko

Japanese Faction now works with GAE
« Reply #520 on: 22 January 2012, 07:52:23 »
To upload, use a site such as Mediafire to host the file. Also, we recommend using a format such as 7zip to compress the files instead of zip (works the same way, but far smaller filesize, making faster uploading and downloading). The 7zip program can do that on windows. I'd also recommend you use the addons format of folder structure. Together, these two factors would ensure the mod could be used as an addon in GAE without needing to extract it.

I use 7zip, so no worries there. As to folder structure, I meant that I'd just copy the faction folder then remove everything but the XML files before zipping it. I've never used Mediafire before but will look into it now. Cheers.

Edit:

The mod is now updated, and I've created a download post here (which is the one I'll modify if there are future updates)..

Omega showed how to set up max-unit-count using XML for GAE, so the mod behaves similarly to the MG version but with single unit animations (mostly attacks).

Edit: The Great Ming (Chinese) mod also now works on GAE as you can read in this thread.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2012, 12:35:37 by Kiko »

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 22 January 2012, 07:54:41 »
Yeah I made JP faction works both for GAE and MG before, but currently MG has some very important unique features that I think important, so I'm making the faction specialty for MG for now.

I just got the JapFac working again for GAE Hage, and posted a question about uploading it here.

Many thanks for your help!
Interesting. I'll check it out. Thx!

What features exactly? The new particle stuff and multiple animation stuff?... I haven't been keeping up with MG much, maybe I should start haha.
Yeah features like them. plus AI-behavior options, max-unitcount etc.
but If only GAE features max-unitcount and multiple animation, these two features, I'll start re-working for GAE.  (plus Desirably new particle stuff).

For collecting my grammer mistake. Brenton kun Katajikenai. :thumbup:

Can we, like, move this to the Japanese thread please? This has nothing to do with the Iroquois faction.
That would be wise.

Japanese Faction Mod

Zoythrus

« Reply #522 on: 22 January 2012, 16:35:40 »
@Hage, you're welcome.

@Omega, yes, can we migrate this little section over to the Japanese thread?

Omega: It haz been merged. Please try and keep it here in the first place.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2012, 18:25:49 by Omega »

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: 23 January 2012, 11:31:41 »
Once again, Nice to meet you kiko. and thanks a lot for your feedbacks on the mod and contribution for making GAE version of the mod. I've not tested it myself though, I'll try it sooner.

About your suggestion about add female units on japaanese, It's worth considering.
In sengoku period of japan, women were very active than today's most people imagine.
They committed in the society a lot and had equal rights as men. and Ladies in samurai family had to practice martial arts like Naginata-jyutu. There were even several cases women joined the actual battles. Most famous example is the Tomoe Gozen. also records show that Daimyo Ikeda Tsuneoki's Lady, Ikeda Sen led the Musketeer troop consisted of 200 Lady samurais.

Btw, please don't abbreviate "Japanese faction" to "JapFac". ;)
It's sounds like "F***ing Jap". :O :O

Edit by Omega: The video is quite unnecessary.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 23:33:34 by Omega »

Japanese Faction Mod

Kiko

« Reply #524 on: 23 January 2012, 12:01:48 »
... Ladies in samurai family had to practice martial arts like Naginata-jyutu.

Yeah, I remember reading about women training with naginata, but haven't researched women in battles. There seems to have been a lot more female input in past wars than most of us were taught at school, eh?

Btw, please don't abbreviate "Japanese faction" to "JapFac". ;)  It's sounds like "F***ing Jap". :O :O

Heck, that didn't occur to me at all. I did think others might not know what I meant though, so have been using the full name since yesterday.

I've been playing GAE with the Japanese faction a lot, and realised when using headphones that the voice and sound quality is superb. If you have time Hage, could you tell me;
  • Where did the various music files come from (ie., who created the tracks)?
  • Who did the voices for the units?
  • Could you translate the unit's speech and what they are saying into English here?
I learned some Chinese when training in Chigung, etc., and a little Japanese as well, but it became clear over time that Western speakers in general don't have a clue. (I stopped using Chinese in chigung classes as people were becoming too obsessed with the words rather than the practice).

And a quick LMFAO! I've been fighting with Linux all day to try and make GAE run faster on my ageing laptop, and so just saw the Jap video you posted. Don't mess, indeed. Films and fantasy are fun – always – but in real life, just don't ask!
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 23:34:02 by Omega »