Author Topic: Changing enemy-notification alarm sounds for each factions.  (Read 2886 times)

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
I really like the V3.4.0's alarming-sound feature.
I want to change the alarm-sound for factions particularly(e.g. I want to assign horn and drum sounds for my japanese faction's alarm-sound).
Is it possible?
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: Changing enemy-notification alarm sounds for each factions.
« Reply #1 on: 7 February 2011, 11:38:27 »
At the moment this is not possible, since the main menu(join/show game), is the same sound as the ingame sound, however titi said he wanted to implement it sometime, and i did specifically ask him for the feature also.
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 7 February 2011, 11:47:16 »
however titi said he wanted to implement it sometime, and i did specifically ask him for the feature also.

Maybe, just maybe, this could be done in a GAE compatible fashion ??

I suspect this is probably against MG policy (based on observation), but it sure would be nice.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 7 February 2011, 11:50:17 »
At the moment this is not possible, since the main menu(join/show game), is the same sound as the ingame sound, however titi said he wanted to implement it sometime, and i did specifically ask him for the feature also.
I'm glad to hear that.I can't wait for the day the feature implemented.thank you! :thumbup:

Japanese Faction Mod

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 7 February 2011, 11:58:18 »
however titi said he wanted to implement it sometime, and i did specifically ask him for the feature also.

I suspect this is probably against MG policy (based on observation), but it sure would be nice.

There is no such policy,but code changes and stuff becomes incompatible, but you know this,
again, it all depends on how you do it.

but really, from my understanding of how forks work, eventually any fork will be incombatible with the main fork.

This is why we work with patches in the GIS team.

WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 7 February 2011, 12:04:07 »
Its going tangential but I rather hope that if we can get MG to go to GIT then MG/GAE can be merged sanely.

I mean, it could be done now by anyone with enough patience.

I for one wish the two branches would merge.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #6 on: 7 February 2011, 12:07:28 »
Its going tangential but I rather hope that if we can get MG to go to GIT then MG/GAE can be merged sanely.

I mean, it could be done now by anyone with enough patience.

I for one wish the two branches would merge.

Lets not start this again...

There is no such policy,but code changes and stuff becomes incompatible, but you know this,
again, it all depends on how you do it.

but really, from my understanding of how forks work, eventually any fork will be incombatible with the main fork.

True with lots of things, but not for just one little sound and effect. If it means just implementing it in a slightly different way with the same amount of effort. Why not?

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2011, 07:10:19 »
What would be a GAE compatible fashion? Just stating this doesn't help, explaining it does. We don't typically go looking for something in GAE if we don't know it exists, as I'm sure is the same happens in GAE. I'm confident no-one purposefully on the MG team tries to make things different, we really don't know what GAE has or doesn't have, and we've historically changed things to try to be more compatible to avoid such issues when it was pointed out.

Just an FYI: From my own memory I was told of only two GAE features that I ported to MG since MG started... 1) Camera movement and 2) Fog Of War adjustment showing resources. They were ported over because I knew they existed from word of mouth and were feature requests in the forums. When a feature is requested its nice if someone knows that it already exists, to point out the details (before instead of after it has been written).

Anyways I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to be fecetious, just honest, and this is only 1 man's opinion. Lets set a new tone right now.... actually it IS possible still to merge both projects if the desire exists. I think now would be the best time (and maybe now or never) if it is ever going to happen. We could simply have two main working streams in one project... one the stable release stream and the other a "R&D examining new things stream". This would likely solve the problem of different focus (stable network play vs new shiny features). We would then introduce features into the stable branch slowly and give it testing exposure before it gets released. If we all throw our stupid pride away this could make the whole community come together and get things done more efficiently and combine expertise.

Thats all I have to say for now.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2011, 01:28:40 »
GAE already has this. Allow me to explain its syntax and how it works. Firstly, because XML snippets are worth 9001 words, feast your eyes on this!

Code: (xml) [Select]
<attack-notice enabled="true" min-delay="30">
  <sound-file path="sound/attacked1.ogg" />
  <sound-file path="sound/attacked2.ogg" />
  <sound-file path="sound/attacked3.ogg" />
  <sound-file path="sound/attacked4.ogg" />
</attack-notice>
<enemy-sighted-notice enabled="false" />
Not sure what you're looking at? Let the explanation begin!

First off all, GAE has two types of attack notices. One for if your units get attacked off screen and one for if you sight a unit off screen, but are not being attacked (I don't think this one works yet, though). Both have the exact same XML code minus the tag name itself, which is "attack-notice" and "enemy-sighted-notice" respectively. The Min delay attribute is the minimum time in seconds in which must pass before giving another warning (thus, if a battle goes on off screen, we don't get a hundred warnings from every attack, but just one. If we stay away for 30 seconds, though, we'd get another. All the sound-file tags childed inside this tag are links to the sound to play when attacked off screen (this could be drums, a battle trumpet, or your soldiers politely informing their supreme leader that they are being wasted, your choice). The first thing we note about these sounds is that there's multiple of them. This is because we can have many different sounds (as seen in the above code, military has 4) to prevent it from always sounding the same. One is randomly chosen when the "alarm" is sounded.

Hopefully that sums it up well. If not, ask any questions you may have.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2011, 13:12:45 »
I see some problems with this:
- MG does not have multiple sounds, I simply think its a bad idea ( ok maybe I can ignore this )
- I don't want to enable/disable it. It should be always on.
- I see no point in the rewarning after 30 seconds, its not the way it works in MG and we don't have/want something like this
- We don't differ these two types of attack warnings!

So how do I make it compatible? suggestion? maybe something like this:

Code: [Select]
<attack-notice>
</attack-notice>
or this:
<enemy-sighted-notice>
</enemy-sighted-notice>

Originally I just had something simple in mind like:
<custom-alarmsound value="true" path="music/alarm.ogg"/>

according to original glests music tag ( I know, this is no longer the GAE way )
<music value="true" path="music/asak-jadeflange.ogg"/>
« Last Edit: 11 February 2011, 15:50:34 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2011, 14:10:41 »
I see some problems with this:
- MG does not have multiple sounds, I simply think its a bad idea ( ok maybe I can ignore this )
Why? Multiple sounds allows less repetitive sound... And just because the Megapack isn't going to use them doesn't mean MG shouldn't support them. Supporting them allows the MODDERS to use them, thus furthering customization.

- I don't want to enable/disable it. It should be always on.
Again, the modders should be able to choose that for their mods, not based on what you want the Megapack to be...

- I see no point in the rewarning after 30 seconds, its not the way it works in MG and we don't have/want something like this
I don't think that would work though... If you had a large battle happening off screen, you'd get spammed with ad infinitum of warnings (not sure what Glest would do there, but I smell trouble). It doesn't rewarn after 30 seconds, it just stops the warnings from appearing less than 30 seconds apart. Otherwise, it may very well be

- We don't differ these two types of attack warnings!
So just use the first tag, but have it do both functions from it.

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2011, 15:21:16 »
What would be a GAE compatible fashion? Just stating this doesn't help, explaining it does. We don't typically go looking for something in GAE if we don't know it exists, as I'm sure is the same happens in GAE. I'm confident no-one purposefully on the MG team tries to make things different, we really don't know what GAE has or doesn't have, and we've historically changed things to try to be more compatible to avoid such issues when it was pointed out.

Just an FYI: From my own memory I was told of only two GAE features that I ported to MG since MG started... 1) Camera movement and 2) Fog Of War adjustment showing resources. They were ported over because I knew they existed from word of mouth and were feature requests in the forums. When a feature is requested its nice if someone knows that it already exists, to point out the details (before instead of after it has been written).

Anyways I'm not pointing any fingers or trying to be fecetious, just honest, and this is only 1 man's opinion. Lets set a new tone right now.... actually it IS possible still to merge both projects if the desire exists. I think now would be the best time (and maybe now or never) if it is ever going to happen. We could simply have two main working streams in one project... one the stable release stream and the other a "R&D examining new things stream". This would likely solve the problem of different focus (stable network play vs new shiny features). We would then introduce features into the stable branch slowly and give it testing exposure before it gets released. If we all throw our stupid pride away this could make the whole community come together and get things done more efficiently and combine expertise.

Thats all I have to say for now.
This Ive wanted to say this for so long but dindt want to hurt anyones feelings in the process, i defently agree, it it quite possibly. yes just yes :), it would also have the added benefit of makeing mods/game alterations comabtiable cross engine. (hint/hint)
« Last Edit: 16 February 2011, 18:11:10 by Coldfusionstorm »
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2011, 15:59:46 »
Obviously the alarmsystem of MG and GAE is very different! We have no system that is meant to play some kind of dramatic music or such a thing! We acoustically warn and show optically the place where an enemy unit shows up! This is only done once for a given region!
If there is another attack in another region we warn again. If there is no more enemy seen for some time in a region, the alarm state is cancelled and a new alarm can be raised.

So no dramatic war music or anything of this kind, thats why I don't think different alarm sounds make sense for whatever mod it is. I will see if I add this if people really think its needed.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2011, 16:02:36 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2011, 18:49:39 »
So no dramatic war music or anything of this kind, thats why I don't think different alarm sounds make sense for whatever mod it is. I will see if I add this if people really think its needed.
It can't play music anyway. It can only play a one time sound effect. Music is actually impossible because if you were to include a long music file, it would play the entire thing before stopping, regardless of whether or not the alarm is still active. In Military, the sound clips are a couple of seconds long. You're always welcome to PLAY GAE and see for yourself. ;)

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2011, 15:54:26 »
I don't really care GAE and MG have different XML setup for alarm-sound, then I just write two alarm sound settings in XML - but If they have same setup, It might be helpful -.
but I really hope Megaglest have ability to play different musics and custom alarm sounds. They will really help to immersion of gameplay, and may opens up more potential for future development of mods.

Japanese Faction Mod

anything