Author Topic: Sci-fi Pack - Industarons BETA  (Read 49969 times)

Perplesso

Re: Sci-fi Pack - Industarons BETA
« Reply #175 on: 30 July 2011, 16:29:24 »
OK, I've found the last bug: power-of-two rule applies also to PNG textures, which I didn't correct. Mod works PERFECTLY also in GAE now.
Then, I'll save my (slightly!) modified files for the final port... which will include also The Alliance, of course.

This is a GREAT mod. There are a lot of very interesting mods like this, but forking of Glest is originating also a related forking of mods: some only for MG, some only for GAE. This is not strange, because both "Glests" have their own specificity, not only in game infrastructure (such as save/load game for GAE or full mutiplayer support for MG), but also in scenario and techtree building possibilities. And it's NOT good... how many incompatible "Linuxes" exist today?

Imagine a HyperGlest, with features of both "Glests"... it would be an AWESOME open source game engine.
E PLURIBUS UNUM.

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 30 July 2011, 20:01:10 »
Hi all,

firstly, a little preamble: I have both MegaGlest and GAE. Over all, GAE allows games to be saved, MegaGlest doesn't.

So, I'm trying to make this mod compatible with GAE. Incompatibility of this mod is very little: the only problems I've found (and fixed) are:
- some icons have a 65x65 size, which is not a power of two. Solution was simple: I've slightly reduced size of those icons to make them acceptable for GAE.
- value of emission_rate in baseship/light_particle.xml, baseship/light_particle2.xml and barracks_module/light_particle2.xml was not accepted by GAE due to presence of decimal dot: I've approximated it to nearest integer values.

But, there is another, weirder, problem. While trying to start a game with this mod, all models seem to be loaded, but at the end, game does not start, an error message appears instead:

"Exception: texture dimensions are not both a power of two"

The weird things are that:
- error appears loading every combination of factions: Industarons+Industarons, Martians+Martians, Martians+Industarons.
- I've checked the size of ALL .bmp images and .TGA textures after correcting sizes: they are ALL a power of two now

WHY?

P.S. Please, please, PLEASE, Glest is an awesome project, why splitting it in TWO projects which will become more and more incompatible?
Stop forking and start merging, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

These changes; can you fork https://github.com/williame/glest-sci-fi-pack/tree/industarons_dev on github and publish your changes there?  And then send me a pull request and I'll take your changes back.

Secondly, can you report a bug on GAE if

• its not telling you the texture that fails the Power Of Two (POT) requirement
  • the field in the particles which cannot be a float - it ought to be

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #177 on: 31 July 2011, 05:23:21 »
Firstly, GAE doesn't support floats in emission rate because it was initially an integer in Glest, but changed in MG, though GAE missed that change. I pointed it out several times in the past, but seems to have gone ignored. Would be a very easy change to do, though.

As for the powers of two, technically, GAE could support them if they wanted, but because this can cause many older graphics cards to develop problems, they chose to manually reject all non-power of two images, to force the modders to use these images for compatibility. Sadly, MG has not done the same, and I'd recommend that all images in the MG version of this mod be converted to powers of two to prevent problems with these older graphics cards. Though, GAE should be telling you which image failed in the log. If it isn't, that must be an overlook, and should perhaps be reported.

The latest working copy of the Sci-Fi Pack uses a lot of recent functionality in MG (multiple/animated projectile particles, multiple models per skill, unrotated tile set objects etc) so will be even less GAE compatible although anyone is free to make a GAE port whenever it's stable.
It's worth noting that multiple models per skill seems to have an implementation in GAE, as per Shibboleth's swordman. I am confident we will see multiple projectile particles soon (or hope so, as Apocalyptic Dawn is dependent on them making an appearance for the Brotherhood faction). I'd consider tilesets 'seperate' from the main faction in mods, so unrotated tileset objects isn't a huge deal, provided that GAE doesn't add support for it by the time the mod is released.

Overall, if planning to fork into both GAE and MG, it would be a great idea to add some GAE specific code then too, as some such as Guard/Patrol, Emanations/Effects, custom leveling, tooltips, and the like can be added into a faction without any critical changes to the structure.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Perplesso

Re: Martian Mod (WIP)
« Reply #178 on: 2 August 2011, 17:28:37 »
Martian vs Imperial Faction would be cool 2, Sci Fi vs Steam Punk.
But they're entirely different art styles and time periods... :-X

It's true, but... H.G.Wells' "The War of the Worlds" was based exactly on this: British army of 1800, armed with simple cannons and rifles, against an overwhelming ane hyper-technological alien force. Imperial could make battles interesting... if balanced well. Or a new today-human faction, with "simple" missiles and classic tanks?

Perplesso

« Reply #179 on: 3 August 2011, 19:49:39 »
Hi all,

firstly, a little preamble: I have both MegaGlest and GAE. Over all, GAE allows games to be saved, MegaGlest doesn't.

So, I'm trying to make this mod compatible with GAE. Incompatibility of this mod is very little: the only problems I've found (and fixed) are:
- some icons have a 65x65 size, which is not a power of two. Solution was simple: I've slightly reduced size of those icons to make them acceptable for GAE.
- value of emission_rate in baseship/light_particle.xml, baseship/light_particle2.xml and barracks_module/light_particle2.xml was not accepted by GAE due to presence of decimal dot: I've approximated it to nearest integer values.

But, there is another, weirder, problem. While trying to start a game with this mod, all models seem to be loaded, but at the end, game does not start, an error message appears instead:

"Exception: texture dimensions are not both a power of two"

The weird things are that:
- error appears loading every combination of factions: Industarons+Industarons, Martians+Martians, Martians+Industarons.
- I've checked the size of ALL .bmp images and .TGA textures after correcting sizes: they are ALL a power of two now

WHY?

P.S. Please, please, PLEASE, Glest is an awesome project, why splitting it in TWO projects which will become more and more incompatible?
Stop forking and start merging, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

These changes; can you fork https://github.com/williame/glest-sci-fi-pack/tree/industarons_dev on github and publish your changes there?  And then send me a pull request and I'll take your changes back.

Secondly, can you report a bug on GAE if

• its not telling you the texture that fails the Power Of Two (POT) requirement
  • the field in the particles which cannot be a float - it ought to be

Ok, I can. But I don't know Git: what does "fork" mean? Given the list of modified files (except of course XML, because your multiplier values are supposedly right), how do I proceed? Where do I have to put my files? And, only modified ones or the whole folder?

Mr War

« Reply #180 on: 3 August 2011, 20:25:19 »
Really appreciate the Port to GAE man, thanks.

Just as an FYI though, I just added a load of MG functionality to Industarons and Martians, like multiple particle projectiles etc.

Perplesso

« Reply #181 on: 14 August 2011, 15:36:01 »
Really appreciate the Port to GAE man, thanks.

Just as an FYI though, I just added a load of MG functionality to Industarons and Martians, like multiple particle projectiles etc.

Ok, then my GAE-ed version will diverge from MG even more... but no problem, it will make porting more challenging :D
Modifications in XML which will not be compatible with GAE will be commented out (but not removed) in order to make mod playable with GAE.
Can I organize GAE-ed files in main Git repository of this project?

Mr War

« Reply #182 on: 14 August 2011, 16:22:26 »
Yes, bit I am new to git and not set up so the alliance faction isn't there yet. I'm about to try to change the build speeds so that might require rework for you, sorry

Perplesso

« Reply #183 on: 19 August 2011, 13:43:19 »
Yes, bit I am new to git and not set up so the alliance faction isn't there yet. I'm about to try to change the build speeds so that might require rework for you, sorry

No problem, I'll wait for first full stable release.

Mr War

« Reply #184 on: 7 September 2011, 09:37:11 »
Just a status update. The scifi pack isn't dead, we are just waiting for Megaglest 3.5.3 release. Currently requires the alpha or latest svn

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #185 on: 21 January 2012, 14:52:52 »
I added this to the MegaGlest internal mod Menu now. As the download is down I am not sure I used the latest version. Please check it Mr War!
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Mr War

« Reply #186 on: 21 January 2012, 17:35:25 »
Thanks Titi! I will check it but currently flat out with Ludum dare so may be a few days

Mr War

Fantastic news
« Reply #187 on: 8 February 2012, 07:50:36 »
Ishmaru has agreed to allow me to port annex's alliance faction into the scifi pack as the forth faction.

It will take some time as the resource, attack and armor trees are completely different. I think I'll try to make the existing 3 factions march annex rather than the other way around as it would be completely unacceptable to ruin annex alliance.

Very excited about this

Mr War

« Reply #188 on: 13 February 2012, 23:59:19 »
Industaron Rover

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #189 on: 14 February 2012, 00:16:18 »
Cool, What does this guy do?
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

Mr War

« Reply #190 on: 14 February 2012, 07:38:52 »
It's just a lightly armed moon buggy for industarons to bridge the gap between the chariot infantry and space tanks.

StantonSylvest

Re: Martian Mod (WIP)
« Reply #191 on: 9 February 2014, 07:13:58 »
Wow those are some great tanks! :o Love the Outpost design as well! The treads are cool but i really cant imagine any alien/ scifi tank of that variety with a gas engine. Maybe something like solar kits, energy reactor, or tesla generator would look better. Whats the concept of this mod??

Surely these are awesome tanks.. I just love the entire concept.. I think it does not need any modification at all.
« Last Edit: 9 February 2014, 15:40:16 by StantonSylvest »

kratos

« Reply #192 on: 9 February 2014, 19:43:12 »
I tried the Sci-Fi Pack and it's very noisy to play because the game goes on very slowly: building construction is slow like the units creating... :( :( The idea is good hovewere...