Author Topic: Licensing your mod  (Read 27389 times)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Licensing your mod
« on: 11 May 2011, 22:26:15 »
   >> This page on the wiki

So you made a mod. Excellent, but even though you may think you are done, you still have one final step before you can distribute it to everyone: you must choose how it will be licensed. Licensing affects how others will be able to use your mod. Too strict and your mod becomes isolated and usable only for playing, too loose and you may find parts of your mod used in ways that you don't want.

For clarification, it's not your mod you are licensing, it's every individual file in that mod. Thus, when you say your mod is licensed under CC-BY-SA, this means every individual file is CC-BY-SA. You can have multiple licenses by making some files one license and some others. For example, the music might be CC-BY-SA, while the rest could be the laxer CC-BY. This is generally done by having a plain text filed named "AUTHORS", etc distributed with your mod explaining what files are under what licenses.

We are going to assume that you wish to have your mod available for free, and that others will be able to use your resources. Glest itself follows these principles, so sharing is the norm around here, and will likely increase the success and popularity of your mod. For this purpose, there are the following main licenses:

CC-BY
Creative Commons Attribution is a license that permits other people to use your work in virtually any way they want, as long as they give you proper credit.  This can include your name (e.g. Ringo Starr), your pseudonym (e.g. BeatleDrums420), and/or a link to your website (e.g.
Code: [Select]
http://beatledrums420.example.org).

Why you might want to use this license: You want everyone to be able to use your work in their own projects, for whatever purpose and whatever kind of project they want, but you want credit to be given where credit is due.  If that sounds like you, this is your license.  This license is also compatible with nearly every license under the sun (including the GPL), so the content is highly reusable.  Also, if the developers of another game use your content, you can always put that on your résumé.

Why you might NOT want to use this license: If you want to pick and choose how people use, modify, or redistribute your work, this is not the license for you.

CC-BY-SA
Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike and Non-commercial share-alike are similar. People can share (copy, distribute and transmit) the work, and remix (adapt) the work.  It includes the same attribution terms as CC-By, so you can still include your name, pseudonym, and/or web address.

When someone shares or remixes the work, they must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (in this case, you) (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). If they alter, transform, or build upon this work, they may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.  This means that if you make something for a Glest mod and another modder, artist, or developer wants to use it in their own project, you get credit for it and it remains under CC-By-SA.

These limitations can be waived if they get permission from the copyright holder (you), and where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.

Why you might want to use this license: Others will be able to use your content in their own projects, and any modifications and/or improvements they make will also be shared back with the community and you (so it encourages even more sharing).  This ensures that the content will be used only in projects with Free/Open content, such as Free and Open-Source games, and not in the next Command & Conquer title.

Why you might NOT want to use this license: The downside to CC-By-SA is that it can ONLY be used with other CC-By-SA assets.  This is why you may want to consider dual-licensing, or using CC-By instead.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/

CC-BY-NC-SA

Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike and Non-commercial Share-alike have many similarities, but there is a key difference.  Non-commercial (NC) content cannot be used in commercial projects.

Why you might want to use this license: You want your work to be distributed for personal/private use, or you yourself want to make money from it while keeping others from competing with you.

Why you might NOT want to use this license: Work under this license is incompatible with most other free licenses (including CC-By-SA and GPL), which makes it tricky to incorporate this work in other projects.  Thus, this content is most suited to personal use by players, not distribution in another project.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/

GPL
The GPL, or GNU General Public License is a free license that gives the ability to let others modify your work, and is the most commonly used free license. The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to take away your freedom to share and change the works. By contrast, the GNU General Public License is intended to guarantee your freedom to share and change all versions of a program--to make sure it remains free software for all its users. Developers that use the GNU GPL protect your rights with two steps: (1) assert copyright on the software, and (2) offer you this License giving you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify it. To protect your rights, the GPL needs to prevent others from denying you these rights or asking you to surrender the rights. Therefore, you have certain responsibilities if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it: responsibilities to respect the freedom of others.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights. For the developers' and authors' protection, the GPL clearly explains that there is no warranty for this free software. For both users' and authors' sake, the GPL requires that modified versions be marked as changed, so that their problems will not be attributed erroneously to authors of previous versions.

The GPL is not really meant for content, but rather for programs. However, some Free and Open-Source projects use GPL for art assets anyway.  Neither the GPL nor any of the CC licenses are exclusive, so in fact you can license a work as both GPL and CC-something (and/or numerous other licenses), allowing the user to use the content under whichever terms are more favorable.  For example, dual-licensing a work as CC-By-SA and GPL allows games with CC-By-SA art (like 0AD) and ones with GPL art (like The Battle for Wesnoth) to both use your content, but still keeps it out of the hands of those who are themselves unwilling to share.

Why you might want to use this license: If you want to allow other games with GPL art to use your content, this is a good choice.  However, it is preferable that you also release it under one of the CC licenses as well, to ensure greater compatibility/reusability.

Why you might NOT want to use this license: If you license your content only as GPL, then it will only be usable in other GPL projects, not in anything else.  Dual-licensing gets around this.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

CC0 (Public Domain)
If you don't want to have any restrictions at all, and don't mind if others can use your work in any way (which can include uncredited usage in commercial applications), then CC0 (zero) is basically a public domain license.

In contrast to CC’s licenses that allow copyright holders to choose from a range of permissions while retaining their copyright, CC0 empowers yet another choice altogether – the choice to opt out of copyright and database protection, and the exclusive rights automatically granted to creators – the “no rights reserved” alternative to our licenses.

Why you might want to use this license: You want everyone to be able to use your work however they please, and you don't really care whether you get credit or not.  Alternatively, if the work is small or not very significant (like a single sound effect), and you don't want other modders, artists, or developers to have to bother crediting you, CC0 can save them the trouble.

Why you might NOT want to use this license: If someone uses your CC0-licensed work in a way that you don't like, there is not much you can do about it.  Also, if anyone else's work is included in your work, you MUST have permission from the other author(s) in order to release it into the public domain.  This means that if you're using any content from Glest's original assets (e.g. Magitech), you cannot use this license for that work because it doesn't entirely belong to you. You can, however, use multiple licenses, with the copyrighted assets under their respective licenses and only what you made under CC0.

http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0

Helpful Links

Recommendation
Personally, I recommend using CC-BY-SA, as it is the most versatile and allows people to modify your assets while still protecting them better than the GPL. The non-commercial variant is not recommended because it can prevent some modders from using your media. The GPL is not meant for assets, so does not cover them as well. CC-BY-SA is also one of the most commonly used free licenses in the world, being used on many large projects like Wikipedia, Wikia, and many Glest mods.

This main post may be frequently updated. Moderators may edit as they see fit, but should leave an edit summary below.

Edit History:
Code: [Select]
11/05/2011 3:57am GMT - Omega: First version of this page
11/05/2011 4:05am GMT - Omega: Expanded CC0 section
11/05/2011 4:14am GMT - Omega: Added wiki link
11/05/2011 4:24am GMT - Omega: New "Helpful Links" section
11/05/2011 5:13am GMT - Omega: Added a recommendation
11/05/2011 6:11am GMT - Ultifd: Added link to license chooser at top
11/05/2011 6:53am GMT - Omega: Modified sentence structure of previously added line
11/05/2011 6:06pm GMT - Omega: Change as per John: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=7106.msg72897#msg72897
14/05/2011 3:27am GMT - Omega: Clarification on how multiple licenses work, also, sticked by John.d.h
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:28:46 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Split (to be merged)
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2011, 22:58:57 »
Lots of great stuff are public domain: the english language, shakespeare, the patient on powered flight, and many other inventions who's patients have expired (usually 20 years).
First, patent, not patient.  Second, patents are NOT the same thing as copyrights.  We're talking about a work of creative expression here, not an invention.  Anyway, there isn't really an internationally-recognized public domain.  The easiest thing would be to release the work under CC0 or WTFPL.

Quote from: Creative Commons
CC0 enables scientists, educators, artists and other creators and owners of copyright- or database-protected content to waive those interests in their works and thereby place them as completely as possible in the public domain, so that others may freely build upon, enhance and reuse the works for any purposes without restriction under copyright or database law.

<snip />

Dedicating works to the public domain is difficult if not impossible for those wanting to contribute their works for public use before applicable copyright or database protection terms expire. Few if any jurisdictions have a process for doing so easily and reliably. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction as to what rights are automatically granted and how and when they expire or may be voluntarily relinquished. More challenging yet, many legal systems effectively prohibit any attempt by these owners to surrender rights automatically conferred by law, particularly moral rights, even when the author wishing to do so is well informed and resolute about doing so and contributing their work to the public domain.
http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Split (to be merged)
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2011, 23:28:12 »
No restrictions? That's great, but if I were you I would release it as the one where it can't be used for commercial reasons and you have to credit...
http://creativecommons.org/choose/

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
Split (to be merged)
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2011, 23:36:27 »
where it can't be used for commercial reasons
Ugh... why!?
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Split (to be merged)
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2011, 01:30:27 »
CC-BY-SA is very nice. It's what wikipedia, wikia, and military are all under.

In a nutshell:
You can sell it, remix it, redistribute it, but you must credit the authors and it must be under the same license.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
Split (to be merged)
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2011, 02:05:08 »
CC-BY-SA is very nice. It's what wikipedia, wikia, and military are all under.

In a nutshell:
You can sell it, remix it, redistribute it, but you must credit the authors and it must be under the same license.
Yes, and it only shares with people who are also willing to share, so that's some protection against (e.g.) Microsoft taking your work and putting it in Age of Empires 4.  Everybody wins except those who don't deserve it on account of being misers. 8)

Maybe we should have a nice thorough discussion of mod licensing in a new thread.  I may post one later tonight (but don't hold me to that).

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Split (to be merged)
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2011, 02:57:29 »
Mr.War said, no restrictions. What's the big deal with licensing, he doesn't care!? :look:
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
Split (to be merged)
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2011, 03:30:29 »
What's the big deal with licensing
We're on a tangent, which is why we should probably make another thread instead of drawing it out in this one.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Licensing your mod
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2011, 03:58:41 »
The above posts between the first post and here are split from the Imperial Faction thread.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 04:07:03 by Omega »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
Re: Licensing your mod
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 04:34:38 »
I think we should establish some conventions.  What is the standard procedure, what is desirable, etc.  I'm in favor of CC-By-SA, and strongly opposed to any non-commercial license.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 04:41:15 »
Everybody has their own opinions. You shouldn't force them to have a specific license. Maybe force is the wrong term, I mean recommend. Just have a list... A lot of mods use the --NC-- license, especially the maps and tilesets. If we're just talking about techtrees/factions then it's just Japanese and Annex, I think. Hmm...they both have something in common. The wiki should be talking about everything though. Even though for maps it kinda doesn't make sense.
Shouldn't http://creativecommons.org/choose/ be on the top of the post/page though?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2011, 04:56:15 »
I think recommendations are a good thing because a lot of artists don't really want to get into the complexities of copyright.  Plus, getting everybody on the same page is a good thing when it comes to licensing.  I couldn't put Japanese into Project Red due to the NC clause, for example.

And GPL is *not* a content license! :wicked:  About half of it has no meaning when applied to something other than a program (source code, etc.).  Dual-licensing as GPL and something else is fine, though.  That allows the misguided few projects who use GPL for their assets (e.g. Wesnoth), to use the content as well.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 05:00:37 by John.d.h »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2011, 05:06:41 »
True, but then again it's not that complicated. IMO it would just be the forum theme + the very long descriptions that would make it seem complicated to new modders.
With http://creativecommons.org/choose/ it's pretty simple.
I couldn't put Japanese into Project Red due to the NC clause, for example.
Well if there were any more factions included in it, people would say it would be bloated anyways. Besides, it's going  to be in it's own techtree and there's a possibility that it might be in the megapack, so a faction being in 3 packs is kinda unusual and weird.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2011, 05:20:16 »
I think recommendations are a good thing because a lot of artists don't really want to get into the complexities of copyright.
I added a recommendation. Naturally, it's biased, but I think it should reflect at least a good portion of the community's thoughts.

And GPL is *not* a content license! :wicked:  About half of it has no meaning when applied to something other than a program (source code, etc.).  Dual-licensing as GPL and something else is fine, though.  That allows the misguided few projects who use GPL for their assets (e.g. Wesnoth), to use the content as well.
Ooh, I never knew that... Seen a lot of things with GPL, so kinda misguiding =P. Should we keep it in (added a note that it's not really meant for content) or remove it from this list?

I couldn't put Japanese into Project Red due to the NC clause, for example.
How so? You can just ask the developer and get that clause waived. Nice thing about CC licenses is that they can be waived with permission easily.

Helpful Links

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2011, 05:31:37 »
For NC, that isn't really a good reason. That only applies to Project Red and weren't you guys saying that it shouldn't be too big? Or else it would be bloated? Contradictions...
Helpful Links
Shouldn't http://creativecommons.org/choose/ be on the top of the post/page though?
Since it's such an essential link...just put this at the top: Since some  future modders will probably be too lazy and etc...
tl;dr
Visit this link: http://creativecommons.org/choose/
Hmm perhaps tl; cr? something like that. (can't)

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2011, 05:33:00 »
I agree with ultifd, that it should be up to the modder, CC by SA is the standard so i can understand why it would be recommended, but i think me must also inform them that there are even more options out there. I want to release CC by NC-SA So whats so wrong about NC??   It seem as though there are those who are against it whole heartily :look:
Like omega said you can always get it waived, if one contacts the original artist.
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2011, 06:08:32 »
NC only makes sense if you per se seek to make money off of something, while sharing it with others, without helping your competition.  It seems like a lot of artists license as NC because they don't want some big developer grabbing their content and using it to make the next big commercial game.  However, it's not like Electronic Arts or Blizzard is going to use your CC-By-SA art in the next Command & Conquer or Somethingcraft anyway, because they wouldn't dare share alike, so the NC clause is only going to hurt other indie FOSS titles, not big corporate giants.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2011, 06:55:54 »
NC only makes sense if you per se seek to make money off of something, while sharing it with others, without helping your competition.  It seems like a lot of artists license as NC because they don't want some big developer grabbing their content and using it to make the next big commercial game.  However, it's not like Electronic Arts or Blizzard is going to use your CC-By-SA art in the next Command & Conquer or Somethingcraft anyway, because they wouldn't dare share alike, so the NC clause is only going to hurt other indie FOSS titles, not big corporate giants.
Summed up the main reason I converted from using the NC clause.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2011, 07:17:59 »
How about this?:
   >> This page on the wiki

So you made a mod. Excellent, but even though you may think you are done, you still have one final step before you can distribute it to everyone: you must choose how it will be licensed. Licensing affects how others will be able to use your mod. Too strict and your mod becomes isolated and usable only for playing, too loose and you may find parts of your mod used in ways that you don't want.

We are going to assume that you wish to have your mod available for free, and that others will be able to use your resources. Glest itself follows these principles, so sharing is the norm around here, and will likely increase the success and popularity of your mod. For this purpose, there are the following main licenses:

CC-BY
Creative Commons Attribution is a license that permits other people to use your work in virtually any way they want, as long as they give you proper credit.  This can include your name (e.g. Ringo Starr), your psuedonym (BeatleDrums420), and/or a link to your website (http://beatledrums420.example.org).

Why you might want to use this license: You want everyone to be able to use your work in their own projects, for whatever purpose and whatever kind of project they want, but you want credit to be given where credit is due.  If that sounds like you, this is your license.  This license is also compatible with nearly every license under the sun (including the GPL), so the content is highly reusable.  Also, if the developers of another game use your content, you can always put that on your résumé. ;)
Why you might NOT want to use this license: If you want to pick and choose how people use, modify, or redistribute your work, this is not the license for you.

CC-BY-SA
Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike and Non-commercial sharealike are similar. People can share (copy, distribute and transmit) the work, and remix (adapt) the work.  It includes the same attribution terms as CC-By, so you can still include your name, psuedonym, and/or web address.

When someone shares or remixes the work, they must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (in this case, you) (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). If they alter, transform, or build upon this work, they may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.  This means that if you make something for a Glest mod and another modder, artist, or developer wants to use it in their own project, you get credit for it and it remains under CC-By-SA.

These limitations can be waived if they get permission from the copyright holder (you), and where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.

Why you might want to use this license: Others will be able to use your content in their own projects, and any modifications and/or improvements they make will also be shared back with the community and you (so it encourages even more sharing).  This ensures that the content will be used only in projects with Free/Open content, such as Free and Open-Source games, and not in the next Command & Conquer title.
Why you might NOT want to use this license: The downside to CC-By-SA is that it can ONLY be used with other CC-By-SA assets.  This is why you may want to consider dual-licensing, or using CC-By instead.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/

CC-BY-NC-SA

Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike and Non-commercial Share-alike have many similarities, but there is a key difference.  Non-commercial (NC) content cannot be used in commercial projects.

Why you might want to use this license: You want your work to be distributed for personal/private use, or you yourself want to make money from it while keeping others from competing with you.
Why you might NOT want to use this license: Work under this license is incompatible with most other free licenses (including CC-By-SA and GPL), which makes it tricky to incorporate this work in other projects.  Thus, this content is most suited to personal use by players, not distribution in another project.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/

GPL
The GPL, or GNU General Public License is a free license that gives the ability to let others modify your work, and is the most commonly used free license. The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to take away your freedom to share and change the works. By contrast, the GNU General Public License is intended to guarantee your freedom to share and change all versions of a program--to make sure it remains free software for all its users. Developers that use the GNU GPL protect your rights with two steps: (1) assert copyright on the software, and (2) offer you this License giving you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify it. To protect your rights, the GPL needs to prevent others from denying you these rights or asking you to surrender the rights. Therefore, you have certain responsibilities if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it: responsibilities to respect the freedom of others.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights. For the developers' and authors' protection, the GPL clearly explains that there is no warranty for this free software. For both users' and authors' sake, the GPL requires that modified versions be marked as changed, so that their problems will not be attributed erroneously to authors of previous versions.

The GPL is not really meant for content, but rather for programs. However, some Free and Open-Source projects use GPL for art assets anyway.  Neither the GPL nor any of the CC licenses are exclusive, so in fact you can license a work as both GPL and CC-something (and/or numerous other licenses), allowing the user to use the content under whichever terms are more favorable.  For example, dual-licensing a work as CC-By-SA and GPL allows games with CC-By-SA art (like 0AD) and ones with GPL art (like The Battle for Wesnoth) to both use your content, but still keeps it out of the hands of those who are themselves unwilling to share.  Bi-winning. :thumbup:

Why you might want to use this license: If you want to allow other games with GPL art to use your content, this is a good choice.  However, it is preferable that you also release it under one of the CC licenses as well, to ensure greater compatibility/reusability.
Why you might NOT want to use this license: If you license your content only as GPL, then it will only be usable in other GPL projects, not in anything else.  Dual-licensing gets around this.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

CC0 (Public Domain)
If you don't want to have any restrictions at all, and don't mind if others can use your work in any way (which can include uncredited usage in commercial applications), then CC0 (zero) is basically a public domain license.

In contrast to CC’s licenses that allow copyright holders to choose from a range of permissions while retaining their copyright, CC0 empowers yet another choice altogether – the choice to opt out of copyright and database protection, and the exclusive rights automatically granted to creators – the “no rights reserved” alternative to our licenses.

Why you might want to use this license: You want everyone to be able to use your work however they please, and you don't really care whether you get credit or not.  Alternatively, if the work is small or not very significant (like a single sound effect), and you don't want other modders, artists, or developers to have to bother crediting you, CC0 can save them the trouble.
Why you might NOT want to use this license: If someone uses your CC0-licensed work in a way that you don't like, there is not much you can do about it.  Also, if anyone else's work is included in your work, you MUST have permission from the other author(s) in order to release it into the public domain.  This means that if you're using any content from Glest's original assets (e.g. Magitech), you cannot use this license for that work because it doesn't entirely belong to you.

http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 19:43:28 by filux »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2011, 12:35:02 »
Thanks for the info   :thumbup:

Any future mods by me will be released CC0
This means I will have to be especially careful about using content for textures (I believe burningwell.org is public domain?) since I want to release my models as totally free.

Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

ChupaReaper

« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2011, 13:23:05 »
Well before I release MRise v2.0 I think I'll be using CC-BY-SA, it's pretty much what I want my mod to be for now. Maybe in the future if I remodel all those models ripped from games (which I intend to do) I might think about selling it, some of the profit would go to Glest of course and fellow Glest modders would be able to access it for free, but this is a long way away for now and I just want to get the mod finished before anything like that.

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2011, 13:39:12 »
This is why you may want to consider dual-licensing, or using CC-By instead.

Dual Licensing with what??

Also what would someone have to do waive their cc licensing waived? I assume it must be in writing for legal reasons...
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2011, 15:00:16 »
As usual I want to warn that its not always simply the choice of the modder which license has to be used. If you use pictures from CGTextures ore even more suspicious ressources you are in serious trouble! You will NOT be allowed to choose a license of your choice, because you are often bound to their often very propreritary licenses! Most of these ressources are only meant for proprietary licenses, NOT for open source projects.

The only way out is to get a permission from the current copyright holder to provide your derived work under your preferred license.

and to make it even more complicated you are not allowed to mix different "free" licenses like GPL/CC-BY-SA/CC-BY-SA-NC in one mod with one license.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2011, 15:22:06 »
Where does this thinking that you are not allowed to mix licenses come from?

My understanding is that you are allowed to mix licenses in the same project.  You must state explicitly which files are covered by which license, and you typically add a file called LICENSE for this.

I can think of several high-profile open source projects that do precisely this.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2011, 18:16:20 »
You can easily say the mod is under CC-BY-SA except, for example, Model A, which is under the GPL. Military uses multiple licenses, for example.

anything