Author Topic: MegaGlest 3.5.2 Release  (Read 14745 times)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
MegaGlest 3.5.2 Release
« on: 26 May 2011, 22:16:34 »
MegaGlest 3.5.2 release - come and get it while its hot (svn revision 2311)
Downloads here: http://megaglest.org/download.html or below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Ez8mc_PUY

Sample screenshots below showing some international text.
(NOTE: Chinese is just a teaser for the next release, its not yet supported)

Russian

Ukrainian

(click to show/hide)

Changelog:

v3.5.2

- Lots of work to make MegaGlest a Linux distro friendly package (Debian, Arch, etc)
- Added Support for Russian and Ukrainian with proper fonts in Linux if installed.
- Map editor now supports diagonal flipping
- Windows users now have a shortcut to the mod folder in their MegaGlest programs Menu.
- Bug fixes including:
  - Fix corrupted g3d viewer screenshots, and automatic screenshot mode does not steal focus for Linux users
  - Proper network disconnect detection when connection drops in an abnormal way
  - Avoid crash when user has no soundcard installed
  - Better video handling for buggy opengl drivers that don't properly handle non power of two textures
  - Better support for non ASCII file paths (like Japanese, etc) for international users and Unicode enabled parts of the code

v3.5.1

- Much better pathfinder performance
- Allow servers to temporary block specified network players from the game lobby
- Better Linux distro packaing support (by default megaglest works in standard linux paths and make install added)
- Game data cleanup (duplicate sound files have been merged in megapack) and non free content replaced.
  (autumn and desert tilesets)
- Displayed up to 15 queued commands (observers can view all players queued commands)
- Allow factions in a techtree to share common data using the special tag in xml files $COMMONDATAPATH
  which points to the techtrees commondata/ folder.
- standardized games and tools startup scripts with names starting with 'startup_'
- updated translations for German, Italian and French
- bugfixes reported in 3.5.0
- AI enhancements (better repair, and safer build positions)
- Improved network code, fixes some out of synch issues.
- Display players svn revision# in network game lobby

v3.5.0

- Menu changes to better group similar items
- Added Blender related tools in blender sub folder
- Modified binary and script names for Linux builds to avoid conflicts with original glest
- Added preview info in mod menu, scenario menu and tutorials
- End game stats have more info now
- Added more validations for modders for techtrees and scenarios (commandline options)
- Bugfix for OpenAL (now works in v 1.13)
- Updates to Romans faction
- Network messages generated by the game are now displayed in the local users selected language
- Support for custom credits (add the file data/core/menu/credits.txt)
- More AI player improvements
- Default screenshot format is now jpg (configurable in options menu)
- Fixed some performance problems with 'stuck' units
- improved resource selection
- performance improvements, now make it possible to play with more units and slower hardware than before.
- new maps with cliffs and higher terrain
- support for sending 7z tilesets and techtrees over network
- new game mod management console to download new game content or remove existing mod content
- multi-threaded pathfinding for better performance when many units are moving
- CPU AI player improvements (units get unstuck more often and stationary air units attack more efficiently)
- new tileset and resource particle support.
- added jpg screenshot support
- optional compressed GPU texture support
- improved harvesting and resource selection
- better support for multiple platform compiling
- Modifiable keyboard hotkeys
- bugfixes for map editor and g3d viewer to work more stable on multiple platforms
- LSB conform ".megaglest" usage

Please do read the installation instructions, since they contain important information.

Linux users need to install 7-zip (package p7zip-full on Debian + Ubuntu) to be able to install mods in the game (and to support various file transfer types).

Full installers:

Linux 64 bit:
Download Here (209.1 MB)
sha1sum f77ebce3b034381a0c25730422da62fff42428a6

Linux 32 bit:
Download Here (206.9 MB)
sha1sum d1f5a0d365f01cd9a820c035ae4535aecf08bc81

Windows:
Download Here (187.7 MB)
sha1sum 105434f30046af2e3f2586a990c225eb3f4f2c5e

***NOTE: Windows users who installed the 3.5.2 installer may be missing a file (7z.dll). If you experince problems downloading mod content please get the missing 7d.dll from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/megaglest/files/7z.dll/download

and place it into your megaglest installation folder, otherwise install 3.5.2.2 (the link above for windows users).

Advanced options:
(click to show/hide)

Please remember to report any issues and bugs in a separate thread, not here.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 00:49:47 by softcoder »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: MegaGlest 3.5.2 Release
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2011, 23:49:42 »
- Added Support for Russian and Ukrainian with proper fonts in Linux if installed.
And windows?

Also, the text in the Chinese screenshot doesn't seem to be centering properly.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2011, 00:17:55 »
How about updating the news section of the forum?  ;)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2011, 00:41:15 »
How about updating the news section of the forum?  ;)
Done. Never realized it was 2 versions behind. Feel free to PM me about those as needed.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: MG on ModDB!
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2011, 07:33:41 »
Awesome! :O  ;D (Front page of ModDB)

MegaGlest --As seen on ModDB!

m0ellemeister

« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2011, 04:59:16 »
It took some time, but it's done. 3.5.2 is in the official FreeBSD Ports tree. This way i wanna say thanks to the volunteers who helped me getting this task done.

See freshports.org: http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=megaglest

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2011, 14:09:57 »
Thanks again m0ellemeister!

MJR

« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2011, 15:43:26 »
May I ask when can we see a full release of 3.53 with these new improve frame rates I've been reading about with the dev. versions. I only like full release and besides I've never found out where I can download the dev. version. I have only a 1 gig video card a ATI 5770 with 6 gigs of free ram and a quad core CPU. i find when I play 7 cpus game or more than 150 units are on the screen or a 256 x 256 map it gets very choppy and I was hoping the newer frame rates I've been reading about in the dev. might help with this problem.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2011, 19:35:48 »
I have only a 1 gig video card a ATI 5770 with 6 gigs of free ram and a quad core CPU.
Only? That's probably the upper 2% of computer owners.

With 150+ units, it's likely the pathfinder, which used to bring anything to a crawl with larger unit counts. However, they recently changed the pathfinder to allow "grouping" of movements, so that will likely improve it to, in addition to the rendering.

How to compile MG: Windows  |  Linux
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:46:41 by filux »

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2011, 05:26:26 »
A release will take a while. Theres a lot of bugs to fix and other things to finish first. An alpha will be out likley this weekend, but no dates for a release.

Mr War

« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2011, 08:49:36 »
Any plans on a full 3.5.3 release? I'm loving the alpha and finding no serious issues.  Once it is released we have the sci fi pack plus vbros pack which both use loads of the fantastic great features.

Not rushing, just asking ;)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #11 on: 3 September 2011, 01:50:48 »
Titi + Softcoder are making good progress. I assume there will be at least another alpha or beta release before the next stable version is released. And it will be done when it's done. ;-)
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

MJR

« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2011, 13:29:42 »
Is there any time frame at all of a stable 3.5.3 release this year? I am reading some good things and like only stable full releases of games with windows installers. So any information here would be helpfull and I thank you ahead of time.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2011, 17:20:02 »
Since, after the summer break, work on the code has started again this month, there was a loose idea of working towards a 3.5.3 release by the end of September. However, there were some issues with one of the new features and, at the same time, new features have been added. So right now its rather unlikely that there will be a release very shortly.

To me, it seems more likely now that there will not be a 3.5.3 version but a 3.6 or 4.0, and, if the developers' time permits, and if progress is made as swiftly as now, and, last but not least, if we can grow a larger testing community, then a release before the new year seems likely to me.

Whoever is interested in helping to test some of these awesome new features, has hardware which matches the minimum requirements (see README file), and is able to download ~ 1.0 GB from the Internet (and keep it stored on the hard disk), please contact me.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Mr War

« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2011, 21:51:37 »
When it's released we can also release the scifi pack and cold war pack mods which rely on 3.5.3 features :D

TotalNoob

« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2011, 18:57:43 »
and after that start merging with GAE?

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 1 October 2011, 02:41:26 »
Probably not, both forks already have enough work to do...

emscape

« Reply #17 on: 2 October 2011, 15:51:38 »
don't know if u still know me, im doin programming now. And as soon as i know how to write the ability to support lightmaps, ill do it :D