Author Topic: Mobile platform support? (was: Can I haz iPad?)  (Read 4584 times)

james876

Mobile platform support? (was: Can I haz iPad?)
« on: 25 September 2011, 08:43:31 »

I think if so megaglest run in ipad on, it would be very pleasant thing, I would like to know if you know the idea, thank you!
« Last Edit: 6 December 2011, 09:21:55 by tomreyn »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Re: How we will run in ipad megaglest on?
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2011, 09:37:16 »
Not for the foreseeable future. This device is based on an ARM arcitecture, but MegaGlest only works on x86 style architectures. Also, the operating system of this device is a very closed environment. MegaGlest also doesn't run on toasters.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

james876

« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2011, 10:10:25 »
ok, it does feel weird, I wonder whether you can run it in the android system, should be a lot of Tablet PC use the android system. thank you!

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2011, 10:46:26 »
It should be possible to port glest to both android and ios and even chrome nacl.

The challenges are moving to opengl es2 and the networking.  Of these, networking is perhaps most code churn, and there is a risk that despite streflop that games between arm and x86 don't work.  But there is a good chance they do, and certainly they ought to be able to play other players on the same arch.

A touch-optimised ui (no rigght-click
etc) would be needed.

The big barrier is not code - its time and money.  Developing for ios is not free, and all tablets need access to hardware

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2011, 16:00:05 »
ios will never come as long as apple only distributes software via its appstore! This is a no go for all GPL based things, because you cannot distribute the source with it.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2011, 18:55:28 »
Besides that, it's kinda hard to play a RTS with a touchscreen...

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 5 December 2011, 17:10:16 »
Just to note that a version of Chrome NaCL is now available (in beta but working) that does full-screen opengles 2 and local storage.

It would be possible to port Glest to be distributed by and run in the chrome browser.

Dritominous

« Reply #7 on: 5 December 2011, 19:37:33 »
Wow, now that would be cool!

Heck, if we could play MG in a browser, just think of how much easier development would be!!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: 6 December 2011, 06:01:56 »
Wow, now that would be cool!

Heck, if we could play MG in a browser, just think of how much easier development would be!!
While it could be cool, the development would likely be harder, as developers would need more experience, without decreasing the previously required experience. And I'd imagine the performance trade off would suck, chrome is fast, but it's really heavy on my RAM.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 6 December 2011, 09:19:01 »
While it could be cool, the development would likely be harder, as developers would need more experience, without decreasing the previously required experience. And I'd imagine the performance trade off would suck, chrome is fast, but it's really heavy on my RAM.

This is not true.  This is not how computer programming works.  A programmer would not think this way.

Its also not how chrome nacl works performance-wise.

I am not volunteering to do the port, however.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: Mobile platform support? (was: Can I haz iPad?)
« Reply #10 on: 7 December 2011, 13:09:55 »
Up to now all mobile devices are too slow to handle megaglest, so all thoughts about this are useless. I think the day they will be powerful enough is the day where they will have full OpenGL drivers and so on too.
Then its time to think again....
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 7 December 2011, 13:47:18 »
Everywhere I look OpenGLES is *replacing* OpenGL.  OpenGLES is substantially more modern than the small subset of OpenGL that MG currently uses.

The GPUs in mobile devices are typically non-shoddy and often faster than my laptop on which I comfortably play glest.

There's no lack of power on the PC and no limitations in its OpenGLES support from a glest perspective.

The big problem for mobile as I see it is the HCI problems with touch.   That's where most of the porting effort would go.

Of course, this conversation was resurrected by discussion about Google Chrome's NACL.  That is a way of distributing applications to desktops predominately, although later there may well be chromium tablets about.

petevine

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: OpenGL ES Linux support? (was: Can I haz iPad?)
« Reply #12 on: 5 September 2015, 17:15:34 »
I've built the original Glest 3.2 on my Odroid C1 (armv7, Mali-450 MP) and it runs using glshim from ptitSeb's fork (opengl 1.x to gles v1 wrapper).

The rendering is completely ok until an actual scenario is started though (crash due to lack of texture 3D support). Other devices should work too (Rpi, etc) so as soon as glshim compatibility improves this game could experience a revival on arm SoC's.
« Last Edit: 1 October 2015, 01:43:09 by petevine »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2015, 18:47:40 »
That's great! :)

It would likely still need a different input concept - MG is not exactly touch friendly currently. But other than that it could surely work with glshim. Also note that Titi + Softcoder are currently working on an SDL2 branch which may improve flexibility in this area.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

petevine

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 1 October 2015, 01:31:31 »

Also note that Titi + Softcoder are currently working on an SDL2 branch which may improve flexibility in this area.

If you mean native GLES2 rendering that would be nice. However, from what I've managed to learn so far, porting to GLES2 is far from trivial (unlike GLES 1.x) which is the reason there's no GLES2 support in glshim and not many projects actually porting to it.

OpenGL 1.x support in glshim is being actively improved and has enabled many new games over the last few months. As long as no shader stuff is mandatory in MG it should be possible to handle it in the future. (probably)

I have no idea how useful it is at the moment but Android support has recently appeared in glshim.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 3 October 2015, 12:33:47 »
Porting to GLES 2 would be a whole different project which is not likely to happen unless anyone will volunteer to help in this area.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 3 October 2015, 16:27:40 »
I started looking into this, we will see how it progresses.

kagu

• Administrator
  • Horseman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 3 October 2015, 16:32:17 »
@softcoder porting to GLES ?
Megaglest Chat
Please support:
1. CEGUI 2. In-process games 3. Registered Players
Playtime:
Every Sunday 21:00 - 01:00 CET

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 3 October 2015, 16:38:28 »
Just looking into it, i have a raspberry pi2 and will see if its reasonable to achieve.

anything