Yes, just a bit
4 (28.6%)
No
5 (35.7%)
No idea
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 24 July 2016, 14:42:08

Author Topic: Enemies and Allies 0.8  (Read 19388 times)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Enemies and Allies 0.8
« on: 11 November 2011, 04:27:59 »

This is a military based faction where you can build oil wells, make tanks, and much more.
There has been a huge World War III, the world has been hit with nukes and bio weapons. The world is left in ruins, the survivors formed clans and continue to war for the remaining resources on earth. In desperation to win they are forced to use available weapons they can from the wars of the past, to insure their survival. (Thanks Ishmaru)
This mod is packaged as a stand alone tech tree.
Please download and leave feedback.
MegaGlest is strongly recommended as Vanilla Glest or GAE might not run it correctly.

Download it here.

Review by Manric: This is an unconventional faction. While the purpose of Glest is to set up a fight between two or more armies, this faction seems to have been designed with the sole aim of having fun by developing weaponry, all kinds of it. Fight is secondary, in fact it is a nuisance when you are managing these clever guys of E&A. This is so because of the great complexity of the techtree: there are in the faction no less than 74 units, 14 upgrades and a similar number of morphing  options. Managing all this while being continuously attacked by enemies is obviously not practical. And if anybody think of having a try by fighting against the CPU, forget it: the AI is totally unable to handle all those upgrades and morphs. All it does is stay with the initial units, produce them endlessly and fight blindly with them.

PLAYING. There are two ways to play this faction and enjoy it: the first, draw a map with a protected recess (chain of mountains, for example), set inside it your own faction and put two more--CPU controlled-- outside to fight each other. They will be engrossed in their fight and will leave you alone to process all the lengthy development of your faction with ease. The second way would be to get a colleague to play against you with an agreement of no-aggression until you both are ready for it.
In any case, choose a big map: many of the units are of considerable size, and a lot of elbow room is needed. And, while you are at it, do not forget to put in
a good supply of gold. This faction is quite extravagant with the yellow metal.

UNITS. There is a good variety of aircraft: fighters, bombers and helicopters, coming out of successive generations of hangars (called “hanger” in the game). Of these, the most surprising is the Osprey, with its ability to drop crates that evolve to gun traps. This is a weapon of considerable strength, one to win battles. Among the land units we also have some unusual boys: the Cougar vehicle, that can let four machine-gunners out from nowhere; the sleeping-gas, that slows down and cripples the enemies; a few different tanks; the jeep, with devastating power and range; and the nuclear missile launcher. This last one, however, is disappointing: when we see the word “nuclear” we quickly think of enormous death and destruction. But none of this here. This is a conventional weapon that has  quite a long range, but very limited attack power. Another disappointment is the poison gas, with much poorer effects on the enemy warriors than one would expect of such a weapon.
And what about the design and animations? Well, opinions are free, but my own is that they look very good. I heartily congratulate the author.

BUGS. With such a complexity, it is to be expected to find some inconsistencies in the setup: for example, an upgrade, defence level 4, costs 800 gold but does nothing at all. I have found no way of building outpost 4. In the case of the AA gun, the upgrade from 1 to 2 reduces the attacking power from 400 to 180!

Video trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdvM430_LDM
« Last Edit: 8 December 2019, 23:30:15 by ElimiNator »
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

wyvern

Re: Enemies and Allies NEW!
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2011, 05:07:58 »
Look's, fun, I like how you mixed modern and old technology but it does seem kinda wierd, especially with the F-22's and B-17 I saw, any chance we could see a full tech tree

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2011, 06:28:01 »
You start with old junk army equipment and upgrade to modern cool stuff.

Mr War

« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2011, 07:46:26 »
This looks really great, looking forward to it. When MG3.5.3 comes out you can add heli blade particles and tank turret animations quite easily, like cold war mod has.

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2011, 08:25:39 »
While this mod has some very nice models(I love the model of Kawasaki oh-1! :thumbup:), the overall qualities of buildings and models are very varied. and I wonder why the so different machines from different countries all mixed up?
Also I must say that F22 (The "raptor" in the mod looks like more of Russian Sukhoi, perhaps because of the Red star mark? and F22 has dual engines, single engine stealth fighter is F35) from Spitfire or Meteor is a overly significant leap.

I may sound a bit too forward, but I think the key of improve your mods is to have some "理念", have an one concept, one ideal, which unifies the game.
I'm always receive ill-assorted impressions from your mods, like It was all mixed up something not get along, like scattering toy boxes.
Even if the each materials were very good, if mix up all those materials carelessly, It won't be a good cooking.
For example, look at Mr.war's mods, all of his mods have a clear themes in them, Imperial is a steampunk themed, Sci-fi pack is a retro-futuristic, Coldwar pack is a warfare of cold-war era, and units, buildings and game designs are well unified by each themes.

I encourage you to make a mod carefully with have a definitive theme.
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2011, 17:12:03 »
The "Theme" in this mod was just military. I thought It would be cool to look at all the army equipment that were in the last wars and pick the coolest looking ones. Then make you start with the old stuff and upgrade to the new.

And about the raptor, look here, mine looks just like this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Raptor

Not this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi

Mr War

« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2011, 17:29:18 »
I think yours looks more like f35. Not that it matters that much.

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2011, 20:07:28 »
And about the raptor, look here, mine looks just like this one.
I just want to say, remake your ufo with dual engines or rename it F-35(It's more acceptable name).
Code: [Select]
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/f22hasdualengines.png/][IMG]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9722/f22hasdualengines.png[/img][/URL]
The "Theme" in this mod was just military. I thought It would be cool to look at all the army equipment that were in the last wars and pick the coolest looking ones. Then make you start with the old stuff and upgrade to the new.
If your theme was "military", why you just didn't cooperate with omega's mod instead of make recycled design mod?

What makes me disappointed about your mods is, I can't feel your love for your themes and it looks like you simply slap together mods.

It is not bad thing that you try everything at will as you are very young and have a lot more capabilities than me, but it is also not bad thing you sometimes stop your hand and do a dedicated research for the theme what you make, and draw up precise game design.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 14:44:06 by filux »

Japanese Faction Mod

wyvern

« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2011, 00:29:06 »
I totally agree with Hakegura, I looked over your mod and it looks way too confused and jumbled, I suggest you take your time and try to concentrate more on a certain theme or time period

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2011, 00:54:07 »
I do want the units to look realistic, but I want units from all time periods. You start out with old and upgrade to new. If you find bugs please tell me.

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2011, 15:51:48 »
I do like the idea of having multiple time periods, but i agree that the art style is varied. Some units like Spitfire, Challenger, F22, B17 are really good but others like Dauntless Bomber and the structures are really simple. Dauntless Bomber and the tier1 Helicopter is very cartoony compared to the others.

As for a theme you could do this:
When I think of your mod I think of a post apocalyptic left in ruins after a massive world war, the survivors formed clans and continue to war for the remaining resources on earth. In desperation to win they are forced to use available weapons they can from the wars of the past, to insure their survival.

Or something like that :)

Make units + structures dirty, rusted, broken down, war torn, held together by duct tape looking and put it in a tileset like Cold War's Wasteland Tileset. Make sure that all units have unified art style, Realistic or Cartoonish, but not both.
This will create a more unified world where B 17 can fight along side an f22 and we (the players) can accept it.

/rant over

-Like the Muzzle flash particles.
-Also like how aircraft are equal importance to ground units even in the beginning, nice change since most mods reserve air units till much later in tech tree.
-Interesting how oil well work, producing oil which is an invisible, cell less unit, which cost player -20 oil. Nice idea!

-Ai does not seem to progress in the tech tree, just spams early units.
-Also oil shows up on radar and can be a bit confusing. It also accumulates endlessly even long after oil(resource) is gone. Perhaps have oil have lower hp and negative hp regeneration? like max hp=3 regeneration -1 to destroy the oil unit after receiving oil(resource)?

hope this is of some help :)
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2011, 16:01:42 »
Maybe it'd feel different if each era was something you research at your hq and that, when earnt, upgraded all units to their continuation in the next period?  So there is never a mix of periods on one side.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2011, 17:24:31 »
post apocalyptic left in ruins after a massive world war, the survivors formed clans and continue to war for the remaining resources on earth. In desperation to win they are forced to use available weapons they can from the wars of the past, to insure their survival.
I love it!

Make units + structures dirty, rusted, broken down, war torn, held together by duct tape looking and put it in a tileset like Cold War's Wasteland Tileset. Make sure that all units have unified art style, Realistic or Cartoonish, but not both.
This will create a more unified world where B 17 can fight along side an f22 and we (the players) can accept it.
Yah, I actually was lazy with them and copied from my other techs, will fix.
Ill make the building look a bit more run down.

-Ai does not seem to progress in the tech tree, just spams early units.
-Also oil shows up on radar and can be a bit confusing. It also accumulates endlessly even long after oil(resource) is gone. Perhaps have oil have lower hp and negative hp regeneration? like max hp=3 regeneration -1 to destroy the oil unit after receiving oil(resource)?
I saw the oil bug, and fixed it already.

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2011, 06:20:01 »
Another issue, most units in this mod are not assigned teamcolor.

Well, I don't want myself is seen as an old geezer who enjoys ragging on boychick, I also look to bright side of this mod.

-This mod have some very nice models(Like Kawasaki OH-1). :thumbup:
-as Ishmaru already mentioned, the Muzzle flash particle! :thumbup:
-Quick and up-tempo gameplay - but people either like this type of gameplay or don't like it -.

Keep your chin up!

Japanese Faction Mod

Mr War

« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2011, 18:36:54 »
I think it's really promising, but good advice above. I too am 'stealing' the muzzle flash particles, thanks!!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2011, 17:16:10 »
Here is a pic of the new copter:
[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377022_2547486136740_1541414237_2610654_430377448_n.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 14:46:13 by filux »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2011, 18:41:36 »
[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377022_2547486136740_1541414237_2610654_430377448_n.jpg[/img]
This:
Another issue, most units in this mod are not assigned teamcolor.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 14:46:29 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2011, 18:54:54 »
Yah, Ill add team colour to all of them.

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2011, 03:29:36 »

Is this the new starting copter? Much better!
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 14:46:48 by filux »
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2011, 08:50:25 »
Maybe the tail would be good place to put teamcolor?
If the heli is starting copter, I think the heli looks too sophisticated if compared with other starting aircrafts in the mod like Spitfire, Dauntless. Maybe more primitive helis like Fl-282 or FA-223 fits with other starting planes better.

Japanese Faction Mod

wyvern

« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2011, 19:40:31 »
First off, your heli looks nice but is too advanced, a dragonfly or something from the 50's would be more appropriate, second of all I can't really tell waht heli it is, though it sorta looks like a cobra

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2011, 03:17:37 »
here is the new bomber:

The star and bars beside it are team color.
I also updated the machine gunner, animated the tank treads, added a flamethrower, and fixed other minor bugs.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2011, 01:09:23 by ElimiNator »

Mr War

« Reply #22 on: 17 November 2011, 03:33:44 »
The bomber looks sweet man

Mr War

« Reply #23 on: 24 November 2011, 13:01:39 »
Another feedback is about the idle poses for the rifleman. The way they hold their weapon perpendicular to the ground looks really unnatural /unmilitary

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 November 2011, 23:57:45 »
Good catch man, I don't know how that happened!

Here is a pic of some of the new units:
[img]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/384599_2608079731542_1541414237_2630371_264834339_n.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 14:47:06 by filux »