Author Topic: The Great Ming (Chinese) Faction v0.1 Download  (Read 42960 times)

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
Re: The Great Ming (Chinese) Faction (BETA Download)
« Reply #50 on: 1 January 2012, 12:30:09 »
Yeah nice model. I love the painting on the shield.
It would be very tough to animate the three men at same time. good luck.
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

Mr War

« Reply #51 on: 8 January 2012, 16:17:40 »
yeah it's a real pain to animate but getting there. Still have cannon and Shaolin Monk to add.

The Eagle carts are roughly equivalent to the taketaba shields in Japanese faction but take 3 food slots and are not mobile once deployed. When deployed they are like a defense tower - you cannot order them to attack specific targets.

Eagle Carts pulled up to form Laager with Musketeers and fire carts (rocket on right-hand side).

APPEAL FOR HELP: IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS FOR COOLER FACTION MUSIC PLEASE PROVIDE URL (WAV, MP3 or OGG Format, public domain or other similar free to use licence)
« Last Edit: 8 January 2012, 20:15:36 by Mr War »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #52 on: 8 January 2012, 19:44:42 »
Looks good.

(WAV, MD3 or OGG Format, public domain or other similar free to use licence)
Out of curiosity, how does one play MD3 as a sound file? :angel:
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #53 on: 9 January 2012, 02:24:18 »
Nice! How does the projectile of the wall looks like?
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 9 January 2012, 10:35:13 »
(Remind me; if a human player selects to attack, using a ranged unit, one of your units behind the wall, will the wall still absorb the damage because its in line of fire?)

Mr War

« Reply #55 on: 9 January 2012, 18:41:51 »
No it won't.

Mr War

« Reply #56 on: 15 January 2012, 18:04:24 »
Nearly there. Ming's strength is its artillery, and to a lesser degree, the cavalry.

warlord

« Reply #57 on: 17 January 2012, 04:44:37 »
Will you make some Mods for the Qing, they are the Manchus, who conquered the Ming China in 1644.
The strength of the Manchu is the cavalry, it would be very interesting to see the Qing fighting against the Ming

Mr War

« Reply #59 on: 17 January 2012, 12:21:37 »
Good suggestion. Maybe a sub faction of sorts with just a few units different. Ming had same cavalry up to the war civil war with manchus. I think it was more than when Manchus rebelled the northern troops, who were most cavalry, where on Manchu side. In Korea the Ming used a lot of cavalry against the Japanese.

My mod has these types of cavalry, approximate 1530s, although my Ming horse archer actually looks like Qing
« Last Edit: 17 January 2012, 17:09:22 by Mr War »

warlord

« Reply #60 on: 17 January 2012, 19:28:48 »
Very good mod!!!
But the Manchu soldiers looks different from the Mings.
For the cavalry, the hats or the helmet of the Manchus looks totally different from the Ming style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manchuguard.jpg
And the cavalry of the Manchu should move and attack faster than the Ming cavalry, but the gunpowder weapons of the Manchu are not so good as the Ming.

Mr War

« Reply #61 on: 17 January 2012, 19:49:28 »
good source info, thanks. The Manchu's rose to power in a rebellion, previously their military had been part of the Ming's forces, so differences are more a factor of geography and progress of history. So I find it difficult to compare. Both Dynasties lasted hundreds of years during which their military varied greatly. The Qing armor I was referring to re the horse archer in my mod is like this http://www3.uakron.edu/worldciv/china/MVC-753S.JPG . Qing would generally have different hats than most of my Ming models, and long hair down their backs.

I am interested in the idea of a Qing faction, but need to be careful not to commit to too many projects. Mods take months even for me and I work fast and sloppy.

warlord

« Reply #62 on: 17 January 2012, 20:44:48 »
You are right.

Oh, you know a lot of Chinese pinyin, are you a Chinese?

wyvern

« Reply #63 on: 18 January 2012, 22:58:56 »
I might be wrong but isn't breech loading too advanced for this time period, most weapons, if not all in the 1400-1600 period were muzzle loading.

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 19 January 2012, 07:16:53 »
Wyvern, if there's anyone more armchair military historian than you here on the board, it might be Mr War! :)

I too am curious about breach loading cannon in this setting.  Maybe you're onto something, Wyvern; maybe its artistic license.

I'll get some popcorn.

Mr War

« Reply #65 on: 19 January 2012, 07:45:27 »
I might be wrong but isn't breech loading too advanced for this time period, most weapons, if not all in the 1400-1600 period were muzzle loading.
Yea that was my impression also but I did a lot of research for this mod and learned that a lot of the early cannons used by late Ming were breech loading. But not like we imagine it. Instead they had a removable breech that looked like a coffee mug with the handle for quick handling. The rate if fire was very high because you could line up reloads like a row of coffee mugs before you start. But the separate breech means the cannon could not be as powerful. Think fast firing light cannon, mostly anti-infantry.

I cannot post pics as replying from phone, but google swivel guns or early breech loading cannon. You might even find the Ming illustration I based this cannon on.

Thanks for the question though

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #66 on: 19 January 2012, 08:04:35 »
This type of breech loading cannon was first introduced in ming by Portuguese colonists and traders (Chinese called them "Franks" in general) around the period 1506~1521, as well as manufacturing method of the cannon. and Chinese produced and used this breech loading cannons largely - also they used it in the battles against japanese in korea - until they replaced with more powerful Dutch cannons in 17th.

Characteristic of this cannon is the barrel was consisted of two parts - main barrel and child barrel -.
Child barrel was filled with gunpowder and ammunition before loading it in main barrel, the child barrel works as cartridge. this mechanics made the cannon able to fire rapidly. but this mechanics was also had some drawbacks, if the size of child barrel and main barrel was not matched, the combustion gas will leaks from the gap and firing power will be decreased, or barrel could be exploded.
Because of this drawbacks, this cannon was not popular among in Europe, but it seems Chinese loved this mechanics.

Btw this type of frankish cannon was also introduced in Japan, and the Christian Daimyo in the "Bungo" province, "Otomo Sorin"(1530 - 1587) bought this cannon by Portuguese ship and used it in battle against his rival clan, Shimazu clan. but the cannon was not spread in japan.
The frankish cannon Otomo used is now preserved and displayed in the Yasukuni Shrine.

« Last Edit: 19 January 2012, 08:16:47 by Hagekura »
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

wyvern

« Reply #67 on: 19 January 2012, 18:41:25 »
sorry, when i heard breech loading, the first thing popping into my head was guns from the 1800's. I've seen pics of the type your showing but didn't know the chinese used them. I'll be honest, I haven't researched it though, I prefer warfare thats happened within the last 200 years. and yeah I found several pics on Google. keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to how this turns out

Mr War

« Reply #68 on: 19 January 2012, 21:43:19 »
Thanks Hagekura, great sources.

Ming v0.1 download . Tech tree for MegaGlest http://www.mediafire.com/?9dwdqxh4310zama
Note: Tech-Tree is cloned from Japanese but with Japanese Faction removed. Optionally, Ming faction folder can be copied into the following compatible Tech-Trees:
Japanese - recommended. This faction is designed to complement Japanese Faction
Imperial 2
Magitech

« Last Edit: 19 January 2012, 22:19:13 by Mr War »

Mr War

« Reply #69 on: 19 January 2012, 21:49:48 »
Oh, you know a lot of Chinese pinyin, are you a Chinese?
No, I had to look it up on Google.  :scared:

warlord

Re: The Great Ming (Chinese) Faction v0.1 Download
« Reply #70 on: 20 January 2012, 09:33:01 »
wow~~~ :P
very nice mod!!!
Hope to see the Manchu faction

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #71 on: 21 January 2012, 01:53:16 »
Nice techtree! It's a little tough to play for me so far (but this will change  ;) ), and the CPU creates loooads of units.

One minor issue:
Code: [Select]
[2012-01-21 02:14:33] *ERROR* In [/home/softcoder/Code/megaglest/trunk/source/shared_lib/sources/graphics/model.cpp::loadV3 Line: 373] Error v3 model is missing texture [/home/tomreyn/.megaglest/techs/ming_dynasty/factions/the_great_ming/units/wang_lou/models/texture_defense_tower.tga] meshHeader.properties = 2 meshIndex = 0
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #72 on: 21 January 2012, 14:59:16 »
Its available in MegaGlests internal mod menu now, so everyone can easily test and give feedback.

( Looks like good animations are hard to do.  ;) )
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Kiko

Impressive!
« Reply #73 on: 21 January 2012, 15:01:02 »
As a new Glest user I'm amazed at how good these Eastern mods are, and the amount of work that must have gone into them.

I've posted elsewhere about my problem with MegaGlest not saving games, and am very frustrated at spending hours setting up a fun and complex game only to have to switch off the PC and loose it all. So...
  • Would it take a lot of work to 'downgrade' the Japanese and Ming mods so that they work in GAE? I realise that some cool things would be lost, but even if I could get them working in a reduced state (eg., as well as the basic mods which come with it) then I'd be happy.
  • Is it possible to remove the guns and canons from both of these? I'd prefer to play with swords, bows and hand-to-hand, but obviously CPU players will bring out the guns.
My second point above is of course about game play style, and I'm sure there must be others who'd like to set up complex battles without firearms blasting everyone away.

I love the new details in the Ming mod, like reading Sun Tzu to increase warrior production, training the peasants in kung-fu, etc!

I don't want to wander far off-topic, but for me GAE's ability to have characters Guard each other is cool, and especially the ability to set an .ini flag to make them return to their original position after fighting off intruders. It's annoying in MG when they wander off into a fight and I end up having to look for them.

Mr War

« Reply #74 on: 21 January 2012, 17:41:57 »
Thanks man, much appreciated feedback.

Re GAE. Yes it could be ported across but would need to change a lot in XML, mostly removing multiple animations and particles. It's a fair amount of work and I aren't volunteering to do it, but if anyone wants to that's cool by me.

To stop your units wandering off every time they attack use the "hold" command - most units have this (it's moddable in the xml).

Re Guns. Gunpowder was pretty central to Chinese military, so hard to remove all gunpowder units. But removing musketeers would be easy. To do so....
1) copy the faction folder and rename it so that you now have a second (cloned) faction
2) rename the faction xml file in the new faction folder to match the folder's name.
3) In the units folder of the new faction, go to the buildings which build units you want to remove and in the building xml remove the command to build them.
4) if the unit being removed can be morphed into, go to the unit that morphs and remove the morph command
5) test it by playing.

I have no problem with people modding my mods, just be nice about it :D