Author Topic: Lego Mod!  (Read 24540 times)

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
Re: Lego Mod!
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2012, 03:37:30 »
Well since its lego anything really, here is two gameplay ideas:  Morphing units.

1) Since fun of lego is building stuff, then adding more stuff to it. I think units should reflect this, by having morphing tiers. You build a tier 1 castle then you can upgrade it to tier 2 then tier 3 and so on, which each castle getting larger with more bricks, towers etc.

2) You could make a sort of morph tree to give a player some customize-ability.  For example you could produce a basic unit lets say a robot. Simple small unit with a weak weapon. Using a morph skill player can upgrade unit, however given 2 or more choices to what to upgrade to. Lets say a Melee unit Ranged unit and Anti Air.  Then the newly upgraded tier two unit can have a 2-3 morph options and so fourth, so a melee unit can morph into: fast melee or armor melee. A range unit can morph into: speed range or power range. And the Anti air can morph into heavy Anti air or a long range anti air. With each upgrade getting more bricks, accessories etc. Getting stronger as a unit.

/   \
           1    1
          / \  / \
         2  22  2

The second choice will be a lot of work to warn you so it just a suggestion :)

As for a theme I'm not sure, but since its lego you can get a way mixing things like tanks and castles, dragons+ spaceships etc just fine. Its lego no need for a realistic world. So just think what would be fun to include.

PS Sorry about that Eliminator, that is a good Skateboarder model :)
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2012, 05:34:10 »
I like your idea Ishmaru, too cool. Players could build medieval or high-tech upgrade from a hut to a castle ect. But this idea will take dedication and a wile. MightyMic might disappear in a week or so. So maybe he should take a faster route...
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2012, 10:06:21 »
Hmmm, lots of ways this could be handled....
What if you had points which could be spent on different types of bricks? Which are researched from a main building which would be a "Box"..... IDK, can't really think right now... Should be doing homework  ;)

MightyMic

• Technician
  • To mod, or not to mod...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2012, 01:33:53 »
Good ideas... very good ideas ;) but as you said very time consuming if I want this to be a good mod (which of course I do) so... I think I will take your advice Ishmaru, maybe making a mix of 1 & 2

I think my idea was a little too bland, nothing really would have made it different. I'm going to put a lot of thought into this before diving right in. I'll keep you guys posted on ideas.

Idea 1) Is there a way that I can have a unit morph another unit? I'm not talking about being required for an upgrade, but something like when you build a robot, it's able to change a building into a mobile building (or something like that) the closest thing I can think of is healing but that doesn't actually change the other unit, just it's hp.   --->   How about this the robot gives the building ep and when the ep is high enough it morphs... (is there a way to do that?)

Eliminator: LOVE the pizza dude, but there's a box in the far left (Pepper's left)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 March 2012, 03:49:52 »
Idea 1) Is there a way that I can have a unit morph another unit? I'm not talking about being required for an upgrade, but something like when you build a robot, it's able to change a building into a mobile building (or something like that) the closest thing I can think of is healing but that doesn't actually change the other unit, just it's hp.   --->   How about this the robot gives the building ep and when the ep is high enough it morphs... (is there a way to do that?)
No, I don't think so. You can morph a hut to a castle, and it could require you to "have" a robot. But the robot couldn't do it.

Eliminator: LOVE the pizza dude, but there's a box in the far left (Pepper's left)
Really? Ill look at it...

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 March 2012, 23:34:01 »

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 March 2012, 18:38:25 »
Thanks ElimiNator. I think I'll still use your model because it's awesome ;)

So, I have a few models done and I like some of them, but others I don't... (I have an idea of how to make them better) Here's what I'm thinking the overall structure is going to be. A Lego man can mine blocks (vs gold) and energy sources (vs stone). He "builds" machines (really it's going to be a morph) where the machine can do a certain task better than the Lego man (i.e. mine faster, fight better, move faster) but the Lego man is incorporated into the machine (basically controlling it -> the reason it's a morph not a build). The Lego man can add things onto the machine to make it better (i.e. guns, armor, bucket, wheels, rockets... to name a few I'm thinking of)

If you guys have an other ideas, I more than willing to listen! And let me know what you think  :)

njam2

• Ghost Armor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2012, 17:05:46 »
taking my cube idea?? oh i see how it is. haha jk
this looks really cool. (:
To boldly go

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 March 2012, 01:46:25 »
I wasn't really thinking of that  :O

Anyway, here's a remade "robot" this is the basic one

wyvern

« Reply #34 on: 31 March 2012, 02:42:04 »
nice, this is looking to be a pretty good mod, keep up the good work

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 March 2012, 03:08:31 »
Thanks Wyven!  :D

Here's a picture of the basic flying unit (without the Lego man) I think this model is pretty awesome!

Also, I have a question. When I made the windshield transparent, it allowed me to see through the plane... is there a way to make it so it's only through the glass and not the entire model?

AND: I think I solved (maybe) the problem of the verts being so obvious. Basically, when I was unwrapping my models, I was creating boxes and resizing them to a specific color. Well, when I pulled the corners around a little bit (in the uv image editor) the edges became much less obvious (or at least they weren't edged with a different/darker color)
« Last Edit: 31 March 2012, 03:17:40 by MightyMic »

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 March 2012, 03:23:36 »
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 19:32:08 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 March 2012, 04:34:34 »
Both look cool, like John said you should make the planes window transparent.

Also are these models the basic units? Will you be able to upgrade them to more capable units?

Mr War

« Reply #38 on: 31 March 2012, 06:37:58 »
your models and game concept look awesome. I did notice from the lego man model you shared that it was probably more detailed, in terms of poly count, than it needed to be. How many triangles is the plane?

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 March 2012, 10:06:18 »
This looks great! Love the robot walker  :O

Also IIRC the poly counts from the tileset were pretty much ok for Glest.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 March 2012, 15:17:29 »
How many triangles is the plane?
658   It's 68KB without any animations

Also are these models the basic units? Will you be able to upgrade them to more capable units?
These are both the first morph. I plan on making the final models sweet :D

I made new stone... because I didn't really like the old models. As you can see it still needs to be scaled, but I like these models better than the old ones.

« Last Edit: 31 March 2012, 15:27:14 by MightyMic »

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #41 on: 31 March 2012, 19:05:25 »
Cool start I like robot. Look forward to final morphs :)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 1 April 2012, 01:00:10 »
I was bored and made a car, think you could use it?

Obviously its the lowest level.

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 1 April 2012, 01:04:54 »
Nice, I think I can fit it in  ::)  I have a car model already, but it's a little higher than base level, so this will be good for that.

Thanks!

Mr War

« Reply #44 on: 1 April 2012, 08:30:02 »
I was bored and made a car, think you could use it?

Obviously its the lowest level.
very cool. The normals might work better if you make each side of the block have a separate set of nodes, even though it joins together to look like a solid block.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 1 April 2012, 20:11:26 »
But how will my car attack? should I give him a gun?

MuwuM

• Ornithopter
  • No Game without Move(ment)
    • View Profile
    • MuwuM - Lexicons
« Reply #46 on: 1 April 2012, 20:17:45 »
But how will my car attack? should I give him a gun?

Let him get out of the car and throw to car to the enemy. (or a piece of the car)

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2 April 2012, 01:04:03 »
I actually haven't put much thought into attacks (yet). Robots (except the gunner branch) are going to have an attacking range of 1 - 2 depending on their level. For cars I think maybe throwing something at the enemy would work. OR you could put a spare tire on the back and he pulls that off and throws it at the enemy... (I don't know how that would look though ::) )

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #48 on: 2 April 2012, 05:40:18 »
I actually haven't put much thought into attacks (yet). Robots (except the gunner branch) are going to have an attacking range of 1 - 2 depending on their level. For cars I think maybe throwing something at the enemy would work. OR you could put a spare tire on the back and he pulls that off and throws it at the enemy... (I don't know how that would look though ::) )

Is that really how you want your attacks? Not like there is anything wrong with that its just I thought you would make crazy guns/cannons as weapons :)

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 3 April 2012, 01:50:06 »
... I thought you would make crazy guns/cannons as weapons ...
Oh yes, most definitely! It's just in the basic models, I want the attacks to be pretty basic and as they morph into more and more complex machines the attacks become stronger and stronger... with awesome guns/cannons/lasers/catapults/missiles and hopefully I'll be able to make some good animations for them (I haven't really tested my animation skills but I'm not going to release it until they're perfect ;D )

anything