Author Topic: Nubian Civilization (Historically Based)  (Read 17084 times)

Tyrannosaurus

Nubian Civilization (Historically Based)
« on: 2 June 2012, 16:53:43 »
Right now this mod is in the proposal stage, but since I have experimented with Blender recently, when summer comes I might actually start making some models and textures for the units. Before then, I will soon post concept art that I have drawn myself.

The Nubians

The Nubian civilization in what is now Sudan is perhaps the most ancient civilization in Africa, with the earliest settlements in the region dating as far back as 8200 BC. Among the innovations pioneered by the Nubian culture were the first African pottery, the domestication of cattle, and the institution of sacral or divine kingship which would spread throughout the continent, including Egypt to the north. The Nubians were closely related ethnically to their Egyptian neighbors and always shared some cultural characteristics, but the two peoples frequently fought and conquered each other, vying for control over the Nile Valley. Ultimately the Nubian civilization outlasted Egypt, thriving while its old rival languished under the rule of European and Middle Eastern foreigners. However, it in turn would collapse around 400 AD, possibly due to a combination of foreign pressures and environmental degradation.

The Nubian civilization in Glest is characterized by superior gold- and stone-mining, fast and agile but poorly armored military units, and effective healers.

Nubian Units

Villager: The Nubians' humble gatherer unit. Much more effective at harvesting stone and gold than wood and food, as the Nubians were both prolific builders and goldsmiths.

Goat: A cheap food source. The breed of goats herded by the Nubians, distinguished by its large and pendulous ears, survives to this day, although it has since been hybridized with English breeds and is now known as the Anglo-Nubian goat.

Cow: More expensive than the goat, but provides much more meat. The breeds of cattle herded throughout Africa may have been first domesticated in the Nubian region. Cattle played a prominent role in both early Egyptian and Nubian economies, serving as symbols of wealth, and were sometimes even deified into gods such as Hathor and Apis. The bones of sacrificed cattle have been found in abundance near human graves at the Nubian settlement of Kerma.

Napatan Spearman: This is the basic melee warrior, a spear-thrusting guy with a cowhide shield for protection. Poor armor but very fleet of foot. Napata was the capital of Nubia between 750 and 590 BC; the so-called 25th dynasty of Egyptian history, during which Nubian kings such as Shabaka and Taharqa ruled Egypt, was based in Napata.

Setjau Archer: The Nubians were so renown for their proficiency at archery that the Egyptians sometimes called their country Ta Seti ("Land of the Bow") and hired Nubian archers as mercenaries. The Setjau archer is weak against melee units up close but has superior range and speed to the archers of other civilizations.

Medjay Raider: This horseman is the fastest of the Nubian warriors. The Medjay were originally a nomadic ethnic group living in northeastern Nubia, but they were such effective fighters that the Egyptians would call their own policemen "Medjay" as an honor. In addition to their archery, the Nubians were also envied for their horse husbandry. The Nubians so loved horses that the Nubian king Piye recorded how angry he was to find an Egyptian stable with poorly treated horses. Herds of horses were buried with dead Nubian kings to accompany them into the afterlife.

Kentake: The most lethal Nubian melee infantry, this is an agile female warrior armed with two khopesh blades (curved swords). The Kentake unit is named in honor of several Nubian warrior queens who led their soldiers into battle. One legend claimed that a Nubian Kentake was able to scare off an invading Alexander the Great, whereas another account describes a confrontation between a later Kentake and the Roman Empire.

Meroitic Elephant: Slow-moving and expensive but powerful heavy cavalry and siege weapon that is effective against buildings in addition to human soldiers. Meroe in southern Nubia was the kingdom's capital between 590 BC and 400 AD; one structure that is interpreted as a stable for war elephants has been uncovered there, corroborating legends of Nubian Kentakes riding elephants into battle.

Priest of Amun: A priest wearing a leopardskin around his torso, this is the healer unit for the Nubians. He is very effective at his healing job but can do nothing else. Amun was a supreme creator deity in both Egyptian and Nubian religions and was perhaps the most important god in the Nubian pantheon.

Nubian Buildings

Palace: The Nubians' central structure, this stores resources and produces Villagers and Kentakes.

Paddock: Produces Goats and Cows.

Fortress: Military structure that produces Napatan Spearmen, Setjau Archers, Medjay Raiders, and Meroitic Elephants. Also functions as a defensive structure that can shoot arrows at both ground and air units.

Blacksmith: Upgrades weapons and armor. The Nubian city of Meroe was a major center of iron production from 590 BC to 400 AD.

Temple of Amun: Produces Priests of Amun.

Nubian Upgrades

Piye's Stables: Allows the production of Medjay Raiders and Meroitic Elephants. Researched at the Fortress.

Apedemak's Wrath: Named for the Nubian lion-headed warrior god, this technology increases military units' attack. Researched at
the Blacksmith.

Mistress of Meroe: Allows the production of Kentakes at the Palace. Researched at the Palace.

Boon of the Nile: Improves Villagers' food- and wood-gathering. Researched at the Palace.

Cowhide Tanning: Improves military units' armor. Researched at the Blacksmith.

Desert Storm: Speeds up military units. Researched at the Blacksmith.

Medicine: Improves Priests of Amun's healing. Researched at the Temple.

Napatan Architecture: Increases buildings' hitpoints. Researched at the Temple.

Concept Art
Code: [Select]
[img]http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/154/4/b/nubiankentake_by_brandonspilcher-d526fa5.jpg[/img]Kentake

[img]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/154/a/c/nubianarcher_by_brandonspilcher-d525f2l.jpg[/img]Setjau Archer
« Last Edit: 27 September 2016, 20:18:13 by filux »

Tyrannosaurus

Re: Nubian Civilization (Historically Based)
« Reply #1 on: 2 June 2012, 20:53:40 »
Here's a piece of concept art for the Setjau Archer:

[img]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/154/a/c/nubianarcher_by_brandonspilcher-d525f2l.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 27 September 2016, 20:18:33 by filux »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: 2 June 2012, 21:00:30 »
Sounds and looks cool. I wish you the best of luck in getting the mod completed to the end (it's a lot of work, but don't give up! Practice makes perfect). Will this mod be made for vanilla Glest (so that it works on all engines) or a specific engine (GAE or MegaGlest)?

You drew that yourself? Seems you have some pretty good artistic talents. I have high hopes for your models, once you hit that stage.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Tyrannosaurus

« Reply #3 on: 2 June 2012, 21:03:51 »
Will this mod be made for vanilla Glest (so that it works on all engines) or a specific engine (GAE or MegaGlest)?
I'm aiming for vanilla Glest for now. My ultimate ambition would be to make my own version of Glest with an ancient warfare theme (think a Glest version of Age of Empires), but that can wait until the distant future.

And yes, I did draw that piece of concept art myself.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: 2 June 2012, 21:22:42 »
Will this mod be made for vanilla Glest (so that it works on all engines) or a specific engine (GAE or MegaGlest)?
I'm aiming for vanilla Glest for now. My ultimate ambition would be to make my own version of Glest with an ancient warfare theme (think a Glest version of Age of Empires), but that can wait until the distant future.
I think sticking with vanilla Glest is the best way to go, as it allows fans of both engines to play the same mod. If you wish in the future, there's a few features that both engines share, as well as some that will be ignored in the non-supporting engine without breaking the game.

Concerning making your own version of Glest, I would personally advise against it, as the two engines we have already divide the community in half. Noteworthy that it's possible to make a "total conversion" mod that allows you to change the GUI, primarily by creating new textures for the buttons, logo, etc as well as a new background model for Glest. Such is also vanilla compatible, and both engines offer backwards compatible ways to expand on such (eg, you can use a widget file in GAE to customize the in-game interface, which MegaGlest would ignore, allowing it to still be compatible; likewise MegaGlest can add an-ingame GUI background image that GAE would ignore). Lots of possibilities that would be easier than making a new version of Glest.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2 June 2012, 21:30:21 »
This looks cool and it looks like you really did your homework, so to speak. As far as making a whole game worth of factions, you may do well to check out 0 AD.

Tyrannosaurus

« Reply #6 on: 2 June 2012, 22:03:11 »
This looks cool and it looks like you really did your homework, so to speak.
Thank you. I wish more Glest modders would do their homework too. It irks me how a lot of the factions people design for the game are based on cartoon stereotypes instead of real history. Some terrible offenders can be found in the MegaGlest mod for example, with the "Indian" faction being the worst of all. If you have enough time to make your own models and textures, surely you can afford to do a little research on the cultures you want to portray.

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 3 June 2012, 00:40:24 »
Hi Tyranno. Love the artwork!
and I'm concur with Omega's advice that making the mod to the end will envolves a lot of efforts and patience - Now I'm keenly aware of this with my mod :dead: - but be courageous and never giveup.
Goodluck on your project.
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

Tyrannosaurus

« Reply #8 on: 3 June 2012, 01:20:51 »
Hi Tyranno. Love the artwork!
and I'm concur with Omega's advice that making the mod to the end will envolves a lot of efforts and patience - Now I'm keenly aware of this with my mod :dead: - but be courageous and never giveup.
Goodluck on your project.

How long did it take you to make your own mod (or at least the first version)?

Anyway, new concept art, this time for the Kentake unit:

[img]http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/154/4/b/nubiankentake_by_brandonspilcher-d526fa5.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 27 September 2016, 20:18:50 by filux »

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 3 June 2012, 05:31:56 »
Again the nice picture. :thumbup:

How long did it take you to make your own mod (or at least the first version)?

Well I started making the mod in June 2010, first alpha release was 3 november 2010. Since then I'm still working on the mod, so It's been almost two-years since I started making the mod. It's truly 光陰矢の如し "Time flies like an arrow."  huh? :O

Japanese Faction Mod

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 3 June 2012, 10:06:23 »
At the other end of the spectrum, Mr War churned out a new faction every 10 hours or so ;)

I like the sound of this Nubian faction a lot.

Making it in the magitech techtree is a plus as I see it.

victorj

« Reply #11 on: 8 June 2012, 05:54:51 »
Thank you. I wish more Glest modders would do their homework too. It irks me how a lot of the factions people design for the game are based on cartoon stereotypes instead of real history. Some terrible offenders can be found in the MegaGlest mod for example, with the "Indian" faction being the worst of all. If you have enough time to make your own models and textures, surely you can afford to do a little research on the cultures you want to portray.

Yes, very good, to bring your faction ahead, despite megapack has bad graphics.., you can think in do your mod with to good graphics, will accept all the    Community well your mod.
« Last Edit: 8 June 2012, 07:43:14 by victorj »

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #12 on: 8 June 2012, 06:35:54 »
Great stuff, good luck!
I'm glad you're keeping it vanilla for the original release. I look forward to seeing if your models will be as good as your drawings!

Tyrannosaurus

« Reply #13 on: 9 July 2012, 02:59:17 »
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately summer school has distracted me from this project, but fortunately it'll end around the beginning of August. After that, I'll have ~5 weeks off before I go back to UCSD, which would give me some time to work on the mod. In the meantime, I've taken a stab at modeling a human body in Blender using the Glest Guide's tutorial.
[img]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/190/9/e/human_model_by_brandonspilcher-d56n9fv.jpg[/img]He'll probably end up as the model for the mod's Villager unit.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2016, 20:19:15 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 9 July 2012, 16:18:07 »
Looks good for a beginner. You should make his body less flat and a bit more thick. And make the arms level with the base of the neck.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 9 July 2012, 18:34:47 »
It's a good start, certainly.  If I were you, I'd spend a little time getting the head into a more head-like shape, and I'm not sure if this is just my imagination or what, but the torso looks concave.  Personally, I would recommend against going off of the Glest Guide for rigging and animation as it uses some pretty poor practices (at least last time I looked, which was a long time ago), and go with something more like this, where the rig will be more flexible and a lot easier to make it walk.  On that tutorial, since you already have the mesh and since some things don't really apply to Glest, I would start at rigging and go all the way to animating a walk cycle.  By the end you'll know all you need to know.

Alternatively, there are some freely available human models you could use, like this one, which is in the public domain, or these or these, which require some additional considerations but are already rigged and ready to animate.

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 9 July 2012, 20:12:29 »
Congrats for start working on the mod. Go for it!

Japanese Faction Mod

Tyrannosaurus

« Reply #17 on: 9 July 2012, 20:51:56 »
Personally, I would recommend against going off of the Glest Guide for rigging and animation as it uses some pretty poor practices (at least last time I looked, which was a long time ago), and go with something more like this, where the rig will be more flexible and a lot easier to make it walk.  On that tutorial, since you already have the mesh and since some things don't really apply to Glest, I would start at rigging and go all the way to animating a walk cycle.  By the end you'll know all you need to know.
Thank you so much for the resource! It definitely looks a lot more useful than the Glest guide.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: 9 July 2012, 23:18:17 »
It's a good start, certainly.  If I were you, I'd spend a little time getting the head into a more head-like shape, and I'm not sure if this is just my imagination or what, but the torso looks concave.  Personally, I would recommend against going off of the Glest Guide for rigging and animation as it uses some pretty poor practices (at least last time I looked, which was a long time ago), and go with something more like this, where the rig will be more flexible and a lot easier to make it walk.  On that tutorial, since you already have the mesh and since some things don't really apply to Glest, I would start at rigging and go all the way to animating a walk cycle.  By the end you'll know all you need to know.
Agreed, I'd strongly advise against using the Glest Guide's Blender Tutorials. Those are going on two years and were from a time when I had about as much experience as the OP here. The Glest Wiki details the parts unique to Glest (such as how to set up textures, how team colour works, etc), and modeling itself is better explained from various guides on the internet written by people with years of experience. Another great Blender guide would be the Noob to Pro Wikibook.

Tyrannosaurus

« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2012, 03:54:59 »
Summer school comes to an end in two weeks, so it shouldn't be too long before I have more time to work on this mod. I have fiddled around with Blender while referring to the Wiki.Blender tutorial, which has taught me some neat tricks, but I've still yet to finish a whole human model.

In the meantime, here's another piece of concept art showing a Nubian worker unit:

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2012, 11:38:32 »
As i said in the thread of my faction (the mongolians) Your mod seems very promising! And it's based on a not so common (at the least here in Italy) civility so it's even more interesting!! I can't wait to play it :)
I translated Megaglest in italian and i keep the translation updated.